X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Business, Economics & Tax Policy 6.0: Nope, it only found woven strands

This is beautifully stated.

From The New York Times Opinion Section: "The Republican majority is bulldozing through basic democratic norms as though freedom has everything to do with the tax code and democracy just gets in the way."
    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
      This is beautifully stated.
      When you actually believe taxes are theft, the ends justify the means.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
        When you actually believe taxes are theft, the ends justify the means.
        Yeah, it's interesting how they did that. I kind of need roads and health care and clean water and rules and DOT and a whole bunch of other stuff. Republicans want Somalia. Which I don't understand. I guess those gated communities really provide what they need.
        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
          It apparently got ground up in a local and corrupt political dispute.

I think 50 states / 100 Senators is a huge psychological barrier to adding more states. We'll have to start expelling a few before the obvious fixes (DC, PR, splitting CA).

I wonder if CT and RI would ever want to join forces with MA and NY. They could potentially save a lot of money as far as running the state goes.
          Originally posted by BobbyBrady
          Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
            I will say this about Puerto Rico, they had an opportunity to become a state but said, “**** your income tax.” Maybe next time that income tax wouldn’t be so bad.
            On June 11, 2017, Puerto Rico held a referendum. The people voted to apply for US Statehood, 97% in favor. Now it's up to Congress to approve Puerto Rico's application as a state, which likely won't happen until both Congress and the White House are in the hands of the Democrats. And it won't be a quick process even then.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...ngress/530136/
            "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
              On June 11, 2017, Puerto Rico held a referendum. The people voted to apply for US Statehood, 97% in favor. Now it's up to Congress to approve Puerto Rico's application as a state, which likely won't happen until both Congress and the White House are in the hands of the Democrats. And it won't be a quick process even then.

LOL. It would be another example of a bill that would pass with only one party support. That's why I think the Democrats spending so much time vilifying the Republicans for using their majority will end up backfiring. The Republicans always have an out and they always have just enough power.

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                I wonder if CT and RI would ever want to join forces with MA and NY. They could potentially save a lot of money as far as running the state goes.
                If we're going to merge states, that's going in the opposite direction of what we should. The minimum population for statehood should be 1M.

DE joins MD.
                ND merges with SD.
                VT joins NH.
                AK joins WA.
                WY joins MT.

That gives us 5 to play around with:

DC regains their VA territories and gets statehood.
                PR statehood.
                CA splits into three states: Shasta (the north), Fresno (central), and old California (the south).
                Annex Canada.
                Last edited by Kepler; 12-20-2017, 10:07 AM.
                Cornell University
                National Champion 1967, 1970
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post

I stand corrected. Wasn’t there a referendum they rejected in the recent past?

ETA: looking it up now, I remember there was a huge controversy over it. The turnout was historically low and it was boycotted by a good chunk of the nation.

As recently as 2014 they voted to reject statehood. They had their chances. Doesn’t mean we can treat them like ****, but they had them.
                  Last edited by dxmnkd316; 12-20-2017, 09:58 AM.
                  Code:
                  As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                  College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                  BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                  Originally posted by SanTropez
                  May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                  Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                  I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                  Originally posted by Kepler
                  When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                  He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                    It apparently got ground up in a local and corrupt political dispute.

I think 50 states / 100 Senators is a huge psychological barrier to adding more states. We'll have to start expelling a few before the obvious fixes (DC, PR, splitting CA).
                    Agreed. 50 is a very powerful number.
                    Code:
                    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                      I will say this about Puerto Rico, they had an opportunity to become a state but said, “**** your income tax.” Maybe next time that income tax wouldn’t be so bad.
                      Not sure why you interpret it that way. Puerto Rican’s pay about as much overall tax as anyone does, and pays SS tax, too. But they are not supported like any other state is, and worse in some cases- they pay the same social security and Medicare tax, but the medical payments back to the island is 1/2 compared to a state. It’s a big contributor to the overall economic issues they have. And it makes the medical system really bad.

They send more to the US than they get back.

When you then add in the anti Hispanic hype, there is less incentive to want to be part of the overall us society.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                        If we're going to merge states, that's going in the opposite direction of what we should. The absolute minimum population for statehood should be 1M.
                        We're not going to merge, we're not going to change, and Puerto Rico and DC is never going to get statehood. Even if Puerto Rico is not a state they are still citizens and they need to be treated as such. Instead they get treated like DACA.

Tear down the statue in NY Harbor and be done with it.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                          Not sure why you interpret it that way. Puerto Rican’s pay about as much overall tax as anyone does, and pays SS tax, too. But they are not supported like any other state is, and worse in some cases- they pay the same social security and Medicare tax, but the medical payments back to the island is 1/2 compared to a state. It’s a big contributor to the overall economic issues they have. And it makes the medical system really bad.

They send more to the US than they get back.

When you then add in the anti Hispanic hype, there is less incentive to want to be part of the overall us society.
                          Yes, but they don’t pay federal income taxes. Which means not getting as much support probably would make sense in a vacuum. But obviously that’s not the only reason.

Look, all I’m saying is they’ve had numerous chances. They finally went for it, under protest, when a party that hates Hispanics was in complete control.

That being said, we still treat them like **** and they deserve better.
                          Code:

Comment

The recent referendum was rejected. It scored 97% for because every party boycotted it except one splinter group.
                            Cornell University
                            National Champion 1967, 1970
                            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

ETA: looking it up now, I remember there was a huge controversy over it. The turnout was historically low and it was boycotted by a good chunk of the nation.

As recently as 2014 they voted to reject statehood. They had their chances. Doesn’t mean we can treat them like ****, but they had them.
                              And I'm not sure why that matters- just because they don't want to be a state- does that mean we should treat them like foreigners? Since the 50's, there have been policies that brought Puerto Rico's economy into the overall US economy. Most of those incentives were phased out, but the end result of those policies were a number of US manufacturers who make stuff in Puerto Rico. This new rule just slapped a tax on those goods. For what reason? What does that accomplish?

After being devastated by TWO hurricanes, that's a kick in the balls to them. Again, with the migration to Florida and Texas, that should have a pretty big impact on the political nature of both states.

Comment

Kep

If DC retakes Alexandria and Arlington doesn't that hurt the Ds chances in Richmond?
                                CCT '77 & '78
                                4 kids
                                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Working...
                                X