Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: RPI 2017-18 Preseason Thread: To Dream the Impossible Dream

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    I meant to imply that the leadership responsibilities were different.
    yes, they are.

and this year will be atypical in that the players and coaches are (mostly) completely new to each other. the usual dynamics that develop over time between coaches and players won't yet be in place, there is no "well, last year we...." to draw upon.

Overall, probably a second chance for a number of players to make a good first impression
    "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

With Drew Melanson now rostered at BU as a graduate transfer, what can Terrier fans expect from him? A few box scores from last year had him playing the off-wing on one of the two top lines. BU coach Quinn called him a "high-end speed guy with the ability to score" and indicated he is a candidate for a top six spot. If so, he'd be playing with some very skilled forwards. But if not, can he contribute in a bottom six role? Thanks in advance.
      The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Rogie21 View Post
        With Drew Melanson now rostered at BU as a graduate transfer, what can Terrier fans expect from him? A few box scores from last year had him playing the off-wing on one of the two top lines. BU coach Quinn called him a "high-end speed guy with the ability to score" and indicated he is a candidate for a top six spot. If so, he'd be playing with some very skilled forwards. But if not, can he contribute in a bottom six role? Thanks in advance.
        Top 6 is where you will get the max production from Drew. I don’t know the speed of the current BU boys but if anyone is faster than Drew I’ld like to see that. IMO, he was misused the past 2 yrs. by the RPI staff. Drew was in the NYR Prospect Camp following his Fr. season & was invited back the next year by the Rangers & Boston. He turned both invites down because of an injury that ended his season early (early Feb. IIRC) & felt he would be too far behind the other players who would be there. He’s playing for his pro career now so don’t be surprised to see him put up some numbers. Can’t say enough good things about him. Got to know him & his Dad very well the past 3 yrs & they are 1st class people.
        Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

Originally posted by turk181 View Post
          Top 6 is where you will get the max production from Drew. I don’t know the speed of the current BU boys but if anyone is faster than Drew I’ld like to see that. IMO, he was misused the past 2 yrs. by the RPI staff. Drew was in the NYR Prospect Camp following his Fr. season & was invited back the next year by the Rangers & Boston. He turned both invites down because of an injury that ended his season early (early Feb. IIRC) & felt he would be too far behind the other players who would be there. He’s playing for his pro career now so don’t be surprised to see him put up some numbers. Can’t say enough good things about him. Got to know him & his Dad very well the past 3 yrs & they are 1st class people.
          Drew played off wing all last season. A position he had never played before. He was on a short leash all season which I never understood. He's a smart kid with good hockey sense. He played timid, afraid to make a mistake which is the worst way to play hockey. A fresh start will see a kid with new hope. Would have liked that fresh start to have been with RPI.

Comment

Originally posted by turk181 View Post
            Many thanks, Turk. Posted your thoughts on the BU thread.
            The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
              I too am getting itchy ( i hope it isn't just something going around).
              With the new Coaching staff and only three seniors on the team, where do you think the leadership (Captain and Asst. captains) will come from?
              I am guessing that it will come from the coaches even though they have had limited time to get to know the players.

You said it, the three seniors.
              Uncle Mickey: July 23, 1950-July 22, 2003

WRPI, 91.5 FM...usually color commentary.

Comment

In honor of Brady Wiffen, today is 9 September 2017. There are 21 days (3 weeks) until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 30 September 2017 for the start of next season.
                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Interesting read......... The College Hockey Landscape: A Study of the 21-year-old Freshman https://www.neutralzone.net/mens/201...-old-freshman/
                  Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

Have been involved following RPI hockey for 50+ years. Have followed drew since his Delbarton High School days. In all that time I have never seen a boy who was misused worse in the RPI program. I can name a few players in RPI history that might be as fast or as quick but not many. If there is someone on the BU roster who is faster I too would love to see him skate. He can keep opponents backing up simply so they might catch up to him and force defensemen to play honest defense as they have to fear him just simply exploding away from them if they cheat and join the play too deeply in the offensive end. obviously extremely disappoint but not by him in any way. Simply by how he was utilized (or actually, not utilized) by the RPI coaching staff and system. Turk could not have said it all better. Quality kid, quality player, quality family. Nothing but upside potential and will be a lot of fun for BU fans to watch.
                    Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by Noresmen View Post
                      Drew played off wing all last season. A position he had never played before. He was on a short leash all season which I never understood. He's a smart kid with good hockey sense. He played timid, afraid to make a mistake which is the worst way to play hockey. A fresh start will see a kid with new hope. Would have liked that fresh start to have been with RPI.
                      Amen! In the last 11 years have seen a number of quality players come to RPI and simply stagnate. I consider this case to fall in the travesty category. Wish him all the success in the world and only hope we do not have to face him and have him score or set up a handful against us.

Comment

RPI football fans-RPI beat WPI today 36-14 thanks to numerous turnovers and very solid defensive play. OK-I'm convinced. We have a decent team and they are off to a very good start. Hard to know how good WPI really is as they had a blowout win last week but the opponent was not very strong. Hope some of this success quickly rubs off on the hockey team. Welcome home Transit Trophy as it is now where it belongs!
                        One note-watched the WPI stream today and for the future, when we play them, all announcers need to understand that you cannot keep calling both teams 'The Engineers'. Somebody needs a different nickname during these games.

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                          One note-watched the WPI stream today and for the future, when we play them, all announcers need to understand that you cannot keep calling both teams 'The Engineers'. Somebody needs a different nickname during these games.
                          I texted Kurt the exact same thing
                          Uncle Mickey: July 23, 1950-July 22, 2003

WRPI, 91.5 FM...usually color commentary.

Comment

WPI could always use "Red Hawks". It didn't work for RPI...

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                              RPI football fans-RPI beat WPI today 36-14 thanks to numerous turnovers and very solid defensive play. OK-I'm convinced. We have a decent team and they are off to a very good start. Hard to know how good WPI really is as they had a blowout win last week but the opponent was not very strong. Hope some of this success quickly rubs off on the hockey team. Welcome home Transit Trophy as it is now where it belongs!
                              Yes, good to have the Transit Trophy back in Troy, next to the Dutchman's Shoes and, I presume, the Shot Glass Trophy, which RPI claimed in their last game against Coast Guard, way back in 2005.

Next week's opponent, Western New England, will be coming off their best season ever. The Golden Bears won all ten regular season games last year, plus a first-round game in the NCAA playoffs, before losing a close one to Alfred in the second round.

Comment

Originally posted by Waite21 View Post
                                Yes, good to have the Transit Trophy back in Troy, next to the Dutchman's Shoes and, I presume, the Shot Glass Trophy, which RPI claimed in their last game against Coast Guard, way back in 2005.

Next week's opponent, Western New England, will be coming off their best season ever. The Golden Bears won all ten regular season games last year, plus a first-round game in the NCAA playoffs, before losing a close one to Alfred in the second round.
                                Although by no means have we ever been considered a football power, the fact that we have had only 4 losing seasons (and a couple by only one game) in the past 30(yes thirty!) years is something that all of us hockey fans should envy. Add to that the post season record over the years, and we have another statistic that we should be envious of. Although i really never expect to see the glory of 1985 again, I can hope that we are embarking on a bit of emulating the football program success.

Comment

Working...
                                X