X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: USCHO Music Thread 3: They Heard Me Singing

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    It's long been my opinion that while Axl was the biggest offender, no one in that band was anywhere close to being fully absolved of responsibility for their unnecessarily protracted death.
    My ex's best friend dated Slash before they were big (have seen multiple pics, think I still have a couple for proof). He has some...opinions...about the band. From all that I know, he just wanted to make music. Have heard some of his stuff as a session musician (including flamenco stuff). He just wants to strum. By all accounts, one of the most down to earth guys you'll meet.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
      My ex's best friend dated Slash before they were big (have seen multiple pics, think I still have a couple for proof). He has some...opinions...about the band. From all that I know, he just wanted to make music. Have heard some of his stuff as a session musician (including flamenco stuff). He just wants to strum. By all accounts, one of the most down to earth guys you'll meet.
      I blame Axl for the majority of it. By 1992, he had visions of being the next Paul McCartney/Elton John/Don Henley with his own band of hired bootlickers. However, that doesn't absolve the rest of the band's issues. Adler was such a mess he couldn't even play during the Use Your Illusion recording sessions - think about that - he was fired from (arguably) the drunkest, highest band of the era. Slash and Izzy were always on the verge of killing themselves with dope. Duff drank his pancreas, and almost his life, away. Those guys didn't care about the future of the band while they were using, and Axl merely did what he felt he had to do to protect his future and the future of the band/brand name. It was a dick move to get the rest of the band to sign away their rights to GnR while they were busy being addicts, but they are ultimately responsible for their own mistakes.

Comment

I know for a fact that Slash is now clean (and has a pacemaker), he learned from his mistakes, and wants to move on, hence his new projects. Was he young and dumb back then? Sure, I'd agree. Was he innocent? No. Was he the most upstanding (relatively) member? I'd argue so, from what I know.
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
          Someone once tried to argue that The Cult were just another generic 80s hair band. I was like, "Really? You're going to equate The Cult with Whitesnake or Warrant?"

Despite being "hard rock", I always saw their early stuff as having far more in common with British darkwave like Killing Joke.
          It was, until they recorded Electric, and added a bit of Zep-like metal stomp to their post punk moody darkness. Course, that album went huge for them, but I still think She Sells Sanctuary from the album before that is their best song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCOSPtyZAPA
          Last edited by rufus; 08-14-2015, 02:36 PM.
          What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

"She Sells Sanctuary" is required listening. btw they have two records of late that are fantastic: Beyond Good and Evil, and Choice of Weapon

Bob - I really enjoy Cloud Cult. You ever listen to Placebo or Blue October?

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
              "She Sells Sanctuary" is required listening. btw they have two records of late that are fantastic: Beyond Good and Evil, and Choice of Weapon

Bob - I really enjoy Cloud Cult. You ever listen to Placebo or Blue October?
              I have never heard of Placebo, and other than "Hate Me," I've never heard of Blue October.

I got into Cloud Cult because in 2009, I saw them open for Margot and the Nuclear So-So's, and honestly, Cloud Cult had the best show on stage that night.
              Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
              "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
              Patreon for exclusive writing content
              Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Since you like Cloud Cult I think you'd like Blue October and since you like She Wants Revenge I think you'd enjoy Placebo. Not for obvious direct comparisons but in concept I think you'd enjoy them.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                  Since you like Cloud Cult I think you'd like Blue October and since you like She Wants Revenge I think you'd enjoy Placebo. Not for obvious direct comparisons but in concept I think you'd enjoy them.
                  I will check them out.

Also, I think I will pick up The Cult and Tesla from Amazon.
                  "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates

Comment

Leon Bridges, Coming Home. The guy is 25yo and he's recording Sould and R&B in the style from the 1960s. I've only had one listen to it, so I'll have to give it some more time to get a really good feel, but the kid's done well by the style.
                    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

The blues, acoustically of course.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VAbrnjdtYw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtoldMgPk9Q
                      WISCONSIN HOCKEY: I invoke the power of sauerbraten FF-2006 Milwaukee!

Comment

Amy Winehouse tonight.

Because I like Amy, I'm thinking I should check out Adele.

Comment

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
                          Amy Winehouse tonight.

If you want voice, check out Audra Mae. Excellent. Sample of her work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2p84Xdx8ck

Comment

Amy Winehouse tonight.

On a more Yooper note, I miss Kate Pote. That girl could out-sultry any chick.

I still listen to This is Deer Country's first EP, Daylily King, regularly - you might still be able to find it on iTunes. Their other stuff is good too, but hard to legitimately procure at this point.

For my money, they were the best band in the area when I was a student. That said, I still listen to the Neverland Rancheros Love Letters and Death Threats, too - hilarious songs. Not sure what Mark Andrasko is up to these days.

Comment

Lake Street Dive - Bad Self Portraits
                              George Harrison - All Things Must Pass
                              Alabama Sakes - Boys and Girls

Comment

Skip Adele and check out the Wild Colonials. Especially their first album, Fruit of Life. Adele before there was an Adele.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6ctUO5y6lw
                                Last edited by rufus; 08-21-2015, 02:47 PM.
                                What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Working...
                                X