X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: WCHA Thread III

Originally posted by brookyone View Post
    Jocelyne Larocque? Thought she was a senior last season. In any case...difficult for a D to get a look for RotY...when it seems that the number of pts. racked up, or offense expectations are a very big factor with voters.

Some very good D joining WCHA rosters this season and next...ya never know.
    Thought you knew all things regarding the WCHA…The twins sat a year for the Olympics so that gives them one more year of eligibility
    GOT ICE? PLAY HOCKEY

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world," Calvin.

“If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny.” Thomas Jefferson.

Comment

Originally posted by gotice View Post
      Thought you knew all things regarding the WCHA…The twins sat a year for the Olympics so that gives them one more year of eligibility
      I'm aware of that. What do Mo & Jo have to do with Ms. Larocque?
      Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by froshgramp'10 View Post
        Whats the status of Laroque with UMD. If a "rooKie" has to be a strong contender for ROTY even tho on defence.
        Froshgramp.... do you mean "Lacquette"? Both French last names and both D's.... so I'm assuming you mean Bridgette Lacquette. I've heard she's got amazing hands and the puck is hard to get from her possession.

Comment

Jocelyne Larocque? Thought she was a senior last season. In any case...difficult for a D to get a look for RotY...when it seems that the number of pts. racked up, or offense expectations are a very big factor with voters.

Some very good D joining WCHA rosters this season and next...ya never know.
          Originally posted by gotice View Post
          I'm aware of that. What do Mo & Jo have to do with Ms. Larocque?
          Oh, never mind then. Also, believe their season post Olympic year was just their sophomore season which would mean they have their junior and senior seasons ahead of them yet...I'm sad to say.
          Minnesota Hockey

Comment

The Fighting Sioux...or whatever they're planning on calling themselves get around to releasing thei 2011-2012 roster.

http://www.fightingsiou*****/SportSe...03&SPSID=58669

Big roster. We'll see about possible red shirts I s'pose. Suspect a few will see ice time reduced considerably.

I'll reiterate...I think this team is going to be a tough out for everyone in the WCHA.
            Last edited by brookyone; 08-26-2011, 05:12 PM.
            Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Wow - at least 9 (unhappy??) players not dressing each weekend plus a short bench with the twins when games are tight. Will be interesting to see how they hold it together. Must be a number of walkons and planned red-shirts.

Comment

Don't think we've seen this yet. If it's already been posted I apologize.

The roster for the team I've gathered from conversation is the favorite in the WCHA for the approaching season:

http://www.uwbadgers.com/sports/w-ho...ockey-mtt.html

An extremely talented roster to be sure. Who do you add to Knight and Decker to maintain that virtually unstoppable line now without a former catalyst? Not sure I really want to know...but what the heck...we're going to find out soon enough anyway. Only freshman I am familiar with is Sylvester...the reigning Ms. Hockey. I think the others are virtually all with National Team experience. My guess is Rigsby as the go to stopper. She developed into a very solid 'tender throughout her rookie season. She could bear large responsibility on her own for keeping her team at the top.

Despite how good the Badgers appear on paper my hunch is they get challenged more than they have been for awhile by a couple opponents in 2011-2012...and I want a better than .500 record against them this season...it's time!
                Minnesota Hockey

Comment

I think the Badgers will miss their 3rd line next season as much as they miss Duggan on the top line. Nash and Deluce with Prevost weren’t flashy but they could skate against just about any line in the country allowing the more offensive Badger lines to rest while their opponents top line were still expending energy. Plus they contributed a number of key goals during the season and especially the playoff runs. Not sure how Johnson will pair things but the top 6 forwards look to be Knight, Decker, BK Ammerman, Packer, Prevost, and BT Ammerman. I wouldn't be surprised to see Packer spend a fair amount of time with Knight and Decker for a power line, she has a style somewhat like Duggan and she looked good late in the year after recovering from knee surgery. The Ammermanns seem to play well and have that sister connection so I wouldn't be surprised to see them play together. My guess for regular lines is Knight, Packer, and Prevost and then the Ammermans and Decker. They will need a couple of players to step up for a third line, I think Sylvester may be ready as a freshman but the other two third line spots will be up for grabs.
                  I think they will be solid on defense, Rigsby in my mind still has to prove she can deliver when they need her to. The UW offense was their best defense last year and I don't think it will be as prolific this year, so she will be tested more and they will have closer games.

Comment

Originally posted by granddaddyscout View Post
                    I think the Badgers will miss their 3rd line next season as much as they miss Duggan on the top line.
                    I agree with you to a certain extent. Undoubtedly, the fact that UW's 3rd line could hang with an opponent's top line and dominate against 3rd liners was a big factor in their success. However, a good 3rd line is the result of depth, and it looks like the Badgers will be deep up front once more. Both Deluce and Prevost were on the Canadian U22 team last year; odds are that the 3rd won't have that type of proven talent this time, although Prevost could be asked to anchor that line. Sometimes it is easier for young players to step in and play an offensive role. Coach Johnson over the years has liked to have a veteran line he could throw out to play defense against anyone -- the Burish line the first time UW won NCAAs or the Deluce line last year. I wouldn't be surprised if someone like Turnbull or Josephs is ahead of Sylvester, especially early. The Minnesota HS frosh typically don't come flying out of the gate, as there seems to be a little more of an adjustment than those who played U19 or in Canada.

Where I disagree with you is that it is easier to replace depth than it is to replace the best player from last season. I'm sure that a Decker can do many of the things that Duggan did. The difference is that last year the Badgers had all of Knight, Decker, Brooke A, and Duggan; this year, Duggan is gone and I think the only way you compensate for that loss is with improvements by others across the board. She made so many key plays at big moments that they will have to feel her loss to some extent.

None of this changes the fact that UW should be the favorite once more. My guess is that they will be down a tiny bit up front from last year, but improved on both the blue line and in net, so that adds up to formidable. Johnson has had his team in the championship in each of his last 5 seasons, so the safest assumption is that they'll be the team to beat.
                    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Where I disagree with you is that it is easier to replace depth than it is to replace the best player from last season.

I didn't say it would be easier to replace Duggan, obviously that is a difficult if not impossible task. MY point was simply that UW's Deluce line was very valuable as well, not many teams have a line with 2 seniors and a junior (including 2 U22 team members) that functions as their 3rd/checking line. That was a big factor as you also acknowledged. I agree they are still the team to beat and that Johnson will find a way to get to the championship game. They certainly have the talent.

Comment

http://www.bemidjipioneer.com/event/.../id/100031130/

Sophomore Lynn Astrup has become the latest Warroad hockey player to commit to North Dakota for her college career, beginning in the 2013-14 season. She joins four teammates headed to Grand Forks: Layla Marvin and Shelly Amslie-Benzie who will be freshmen this fall and Lisa Marvin and Kayla Gardner who begin their college careers in 2012.
                        Don't believe there is a 2013-2014 commitment thread yet. So I'll put this in here for now. Appears all roads leaving Warroad lead to Grand Forks. Excepting that one narrow path to Madison.
                        Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Spirit Lake: The fight for ‘Fighting Sioux’ continues

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/332993/
                          Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

I am interested if anybody know's when the badger women play there I think it's called the RED&WHITE scrimmage?? Thought it was suppose to be SATURDAY the 17th but can't find any information to confirm.

Comment

WCHA teams take the ice for some exhibition match ups this weekend.

Lindenwood @ Wisconsin

Thunder Bay @ Bemidji State

Wilfrid Laurier @ Ohio State

Manitoba @ North Dakota

Time to grease the wheels and shake the rust off.
                              Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by puckskillz View Post
                                Wow - at least 9 (unhappy??) players not dressing each weekend plus a short bench with the twins when games are tight. Will be interesting to see how they hold it together. Must be a number of walkons and planned red-shirts.
                                I'm late to the party again on this. Sorry!

But yes, many of the red-shirts are planned. I know of at least 3 where when they committed it was announced that they would redshirt. Not sure on who is walking on. Normally even walk ons get a little something. Another reason for the larger incoming class at UND is because of the lack of depth there was last season. There were several games where we couldn't even fill a full four forward lines and when injuries occurred we were pretty much screwed. So bringing in the extra players gives them the ability to fill a 4th line and have some extras.

Comment

Working...
                                X