Minnesota Golden Gophers 2017-18 Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by bluffrinkrat View Post
    Not having watched the game I thought maybe you were referring to some of the St Cloud player's having loose breezers. It's difficult to skate if you're having to pull up your breezers all the time.

So I wonder if any of the St Cloud players heard rumors before the game with Air Force that their coach might be going to Minnesota? The #16 defeating the #1 seed hasn't happened since...oh, holy cow I just can't remember.
    It happened to SCSU in the last couple of years so this is their second faceplant. They were#1seed then too. We shall not speak of that other blue and white team humiliating a MN team
    Last edited by ne7minder; 03-24-2018, 08:05 AM.

Comment

• Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers 2017-18 Season Thread

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
      You should take some time off to regain your strength, 6-8 months for a start
      Maybe some anger management during that time?
      At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

• Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
        You should take some time off to regain your strength, 6-8 months for a start
        I was thinking more like 6 to 8 days or at least 6 to 8 hours, which is already over. Oh well, no rest for the wicked!

Comment

• Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
          I'm not angry, SO **** OFF!!!

I'm simply right all the time.

Hehehe.

Comment

Originally posted by bluffrinkrat View Post
            The #16 defeating the #1 seed hasn't happened since...oh, holy cow I just can't remember.
            You know, it has happened before, but not where most people think.

The upset that started all the upsets wasn't a #16, they were #15 - and were a top 20 pairwise team, on the bubble as making it as an at-large. It's remembered because it was the first upset of a 4 over a 1, but as we've seen, if the same thing happened today, it wouldn't be at all surprising.

The first time a #1 actually lost to the #16 didn't happen until 2015 - when RIT knocked off Mankato. (So ironically the top 2 names that keep being brought up in the coaching search now share that rare distinction of being the only coaches that have been a 1 that lost to a 16!)

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
              It happened to SCSU in the last couple of years so this is their second faceplant. They were#1seed then too. We shall not speak of that other blue and white team humiliating a MN team
              I did not remember their colors so maybe it is starting to slip "the mystic chords of memory." Sorry about that, I just finished reading "Team of Rivals." I would have sworn that the team in blue and white was a 16th seed, not a 15th as previously posted. I do remember they were a good team though and gave the hated Sioux quite a battle the next game before losing.
              Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 03-24-2018, 10:06 AM. Reason: Holy Who?
              "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

Originally posted by bluffrinkrat View Post
                I did not remember their colors so maybe it is starting to slip "the mystic chords of memory." Sorry about that, I just finished reading "Team of Rivals." I would have sworn that the team in blue and white was a 16th seed, not a 15th as previously posted. I do remember they were a good team though and gave the hated Sioux quite a battle the next game before losing.
                Air Farce not so much. 26 minute to get their first shot on goal

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
                  I was thinking perhaps a cranial extraction. The methane seems to be causing brain damage. 6-8 months might be the minimum to recover

Comment

• Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
                    I was thinking perhaps a cranial extraction.
                    Even that wouldn't be enough to elevate you and FiveHoleFrenzy and Co. to being my intellectual equal. I suppose you could try though.....at least it'll keep you occupied for a little while, or as long as your waning attention span will allow.

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
                      Even that wouldn't be enough to elevate you and FiveHoleFrenzy and Co. to being my intellectual equal.
                      And I am perfectly ok with not being at your Level...
                      At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
                        And I am perfectly ok with not being at your Level...
                        Good plan. The lack of oxygen at some elevations can create noticeable reduction in brain function. Just sayin'
                        Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 03-25-2018, 04:27 PM. Reason: It's going to be a long, hot summer in Frenchman's Bend and here, too.
                        "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

• Originally posted by bluffrinkrat View Post
                          Good plan. The lack of oxygen at some elevations can create noticeable reduction in brain function. Just sayin'
                          Lol, good one. And I live in Denver so I know exactly what you're talking about. Wait, wuh?!?!

Lol

Comment

Finishing 5th in the Big 10 doesn't look so bad right about now.

Comment

Originally posted by Still Eeyore View Post
                              Finishing 5th in the Big 10 doesn't look so bad right about now.
                              Apparently the last year when three teams from the same conference made the Frozen Four was 2005.

Correction: 2005 was the only year when FOUR teams from the same conference made the Frozen Four. but was the last year when any conference had at least three. Per Sean Pickett in the Men's forum:

1981 - WCHA 3: Wisconsin (champion), Minnesota (runner-up), Michigan Tech (4th)
                              1992 - CCHA 3: Lake Superior (champion), Michigan (semifinalist), Michigan State (semifinalist)
                              1999 - HEA 3: Maine (champion), New Hamphire (runner-up), Boston College (semifinalist)
                              2005 - WCHA 4: Denver (champion), North Dakota (runner-up), Colorado College (semifinalist), Minnesota (semifinalist)
                              2018 - B1G 3: Notre Dame, Ohio State, Michigan
                              Last edited by D2D; 03-25-2018, 10:10 PM.
                              Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

• Originally posted by D2D View Post
                                Apparently the last year when three teams from the same conference made the Frozen Four was 2005.
                                Question: Does everyone hate big ten hockey or just Minnesota? This seems pretty cool to me. And since there will be one, possibly two more head to head Big Ten games that will heat up some Big Ten rivalries, which I am told are lacking.

Pulling for Ohio State to win it all. As Minnesota fans, do you guys care who wins?

Comment

Working...
                                X