Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Womens Worlds In Burlington 4/7 - 4/14 Who's Going?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Womens Worlds In Burlington 4/7 - 4/14 Who's Going?

"Raty wouldn’t disclose the nature of her injury but she said it occurred when her University of Minnesota teammates swarmed her to celebrate the team’s 4-2 win over Wisconsin in the NCAA women’s championship game on March 18."

IIHF women's world hockey notebook
    http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sport...315/story.html

" Finnish goaltender Noora Raty credits the University of Minnesota for helping develop her game. 'I tell all my teammates that if they can get a scholarship, they should go the U.S.,' said Raty, who backstopped the Golden Gophers to an NCAA title last month. 'There are girls on our third and fourth lines who are 16 and 17 and I’m always encouraging them.' "

Women's world hockey championship notebook
    http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sport...641/story.html
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by OnMAA View Post
      Had a similar reaction/assesment. Saw that one on the tube, and the looks on the Canadian players faces during the post game anthem was very telling. It looked like they were the loosing team.

Hope they can right the ship before the medal round later this week. Even if they can get their mojo going, US looks very impressive sofar, so they will be tough to beat. Silently wondering if the five years of US domination at the U18 level is starting to filter through to the senior level.

I know this is an American board, and I have many American friends, including several of the posters on this thread, still cheering for the Maple Leaf to Get 'er Done. I Definitely would not fall into the rub it in category, if the score was reversed.

Go Canucks Go.
      Mrs 86 and I will be there Saturday, but we'll be among the "quiet" crowd, well not completely quiet, but you know what I mean. We'll be cheering for both teams. I obviously can't root against my country, but I cannot root against former Buckeyes who play for Canada either, so I cheer for both teams. I could never root against Tessa Bonhomme or Natalie Spooner! If the USA wins, I won't be hooting and hollering or 'rubbing it in'. We're just going to be happy taking it all in. It's probably the closest Mrs 86 and I will come to the Winter Olympics as we don't have the coin to head to Sochi in 2014. I guess we could start saving up for Ottawa in 2013. That would be fun, especially if we could be there for the whole week. One last question, OnMAA, can Canada's game this afternoon be watched online?

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
        "Raty wouldn’t disclose the nature of her injury but she said it occurred when her University of Minnesota teammates swarmed her to celebrate the team’s 4-2 win over Wisconsin in the NCAA women’s championship game on March 18.
        I was quite worried about that very thing as I watched...and each time I viewed thereafter. Made me cringe every time. Actually wondered if she'd get up after that. A little restraint on those hog piles might be a good idea.
        Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by brookyone View Post
          I was quite worried about that very thing as I watched...and each time I viewed thereafter. Made me cringe every time. Actually wondered if she'd get up after that. A little restraint on those hog piles might be a good idea.
          I an right with you on that! Between the weight of 20 - 25 players fully dressed (except for helmets and gloves, which adds to the danger), amrs, legs and skates flailing around in a big pile is at least an injury, if not an accident, waiting to happen.

It's either a sign of youthful resilience or adult discretion that we cringe while they celebrate and neither are the wiser
          "A ROCK BAND IS NOT A PERFECT DEMOCRACY. IT'S LIKE A SPORTS TEAM. NO ONE CAN DO WITHOUT THE OTHER, BUT EVERYBODY DOESN'T GET TO TOUCH THE BALL ALL THE TIME." Don Henley

Comment

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
            Mrs 86 and I will be there Saturday, but we'll be among the "quiet" crowd, well not completely quiet, but you know what I mean. We'll be cheering for both teams. I obviously can't root against my country, but I cannot root against former Buckeyes who play for Canada either, so I cheer for both teams. I could never root against Tessa Bonhomme or Natalie Spooner! If the USA wins, I won't be hooting and hollering or 'rubbing it in'. We're just going to be happy taking it all in.
            I concur with the sentiment... feeling the same way for the U.S.-Finland game this evening, particularly if Noora gets the start in net for the Finns.
            Give blood... Play Gopher Hockey!
            Men's National Championships: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002, 2003
            Women's National Championships: 2000, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016

Comment

That would be fun, especially if we could be there for the whole week. One last question, OnMAA, can Canada's game this afternoon be watched online?
              Not sure if you can get TSN in the US. Up here in Canada you can watch the TSN feed online. Someone at the rink suggested it was also on Fast Hockey. Unfortunately, I'm at work, so watching a 2 plus hour video is not in the works for me.

Comment

I guess we could start saving up for Ottawa in 2013. That would be fun, especially if we could be there for the whole week?
                Yippee. Next year it is in Ottawa. That is about as close to home as it can get, a good hour for us . Still remember when the inaugural event was in Ottawa, with team Canada wearing the Pink Maple Leaf sweaters. At the time our oldest daughter was in the crib. She played hockey for 12 years, including at college, and has already graduated from University. How time flies.

One note of caution about hotel bookings for Ottawa for next year. They are planning to have the largest annual girls hockey tournament, the OWHA provincials normally in Toronto, in Ottawa at the same time. That brings in over 400 girls hockey teams at all levels, including the 20 PWHL teams. This means bums in the seats and hotel rooms at a premium. The facilities should be excellent, as the city sports two major league size arenas, the 20,000 seat Scotia Bank place of the NHL Senators, and the 9,000 seat Civic centre occupied by the local OHL Major Junior A team. I think Hux's plan was to pitch a tent in my back yard, provided they allow him into the country.

Comment

Yippee. Next year it is in Ottawa. That is about as close to home as it can get, a good hour for us . Still remember when the inaugural event was in Ottawa, with team Canada wearing the Pink Maple Leaf sweaters. At the time our oldest daughter was in the crib. She played hockey for 12 years, including at college, and has already graduated from University. How time flies.

One note of caution about hotel bookings for Ottawa for next year. They are planning to have the largest annual girls hockey tournament, the OWHA provincials normally in Toronto, in Ottawa at the same time. That brings in over 400 girls hockey teams at all levels, including the 20 PWHL teams. This means bums in the seats and hotel rooms at a premium. The facilities should be excellent, as the city sports two major league size arenas, the 20,000 seat Scotia Bank place of the NHL Senators, and the 9,000 seat Civic centre occupied by the local OHL Major Junior A team. I think Hux's plan was to pitch a tent in my back yard, provided they allow him into the country.
                  OnMAA, thanks for the tips! Might have to make a trip to a sporting goods store to buy a tent to pitch in your yard like Hux (LOL)! Hey, if history is any indication, Mrs 86 and I will be allowed to come into your country! Good win for Canada today (14-1 over Russia). Glad to see they appear to have gotten things corrected. Regardless of who gets the Gold Medal Saturday, I want to see a typical, hard-fought game between Canada and the United States. With USA's 11-0 victory over Finland, it appears both teams are playing their 'A' games at this time. Should make for a great Gold Medal Game Saturday.

Comment

I might try to make it for next year if the employment thing sticks. Though your talk of no hotels worries me. I would love to watch some international hockey, though I would prefer they came to Boston for at least an exhibition. :P

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                      "Raty wouldn’t disclose the nature of her injury but she said it occurred when her University of Minnesota teammates swarmed her to celebrate the team’s 4-2 win over Wisconsin in the NCAA women’s championship game on March 18."
                      Raty had the USA 3 hour flu.... She'll be back in the net tomorrow. Ha....

Comment

Originally posted by NUWH DogHouse View Post
                        I might try to make it for next year if the employment thing sticks. Though your talk of no hotels worries me. I would love to watch some international hockey, though I would prefer they came to Boston for at least an exhibition. :P
                        There is plenty of Hotel space in Ottawa, but the word of warning is to not leave it to the last minute given the expected influx of hockey teams.

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyDave View Post
                          I concur with the sentiment... feeling the same way for the U.S.-Finland game this evening, particularly if Noora gets the start in net for the Finns.
                          CrazyDave, I didn't see the entire game last night. Did Noora play at all?

Comment

CrazyDave, I didn't see the entire game last night. Did Noora play at all?
                            The word is Noora did not dress for the Finland / USA barn burner.
                            Minnesota Hockey

Comment

I'm sure I'm stating the obvious but if Raty had played there's a good chance it wouldn't have been a blowout.

Comment

Originally posted by canadahockey26 View Post
                                I'm sure I'm stating the obvious but if Raty had played there's a good chance it wouldn't have been a blowout.
                                I heard she played today in a 2-1 win over Sweden.
                                Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Working...
                                X