Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: By the Numbers: Your All-Time Roster

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
    ...for your defending Triple Crown Champion Terriers of Boston University!!!

1: Jack Ferreira
    2: Bob Brown (close 2nd Peter Brown)
    3: Tony Amonte (c2 Chris O'Sullivan)
    4: Phil Von Stefenelli
    5: Tom Poti
    6: Dick Kelley
    7: David Van der Gulik
    8: Terry Meagher
    9: Ed Lowney (c2 Steve Stirling)
    10: Vic Stanfield
    11: Scott Lachance
    12: Mike Grier (c2 John Danby)
    13: Ed Ronan
    14: Joe Sacco (c2 Larry Davenport)
    15: Rick Meagher (c2 Shawn McEachern)
    16: David Sacco (c2 Peter MacArthur)
    17: Jack Garrity (Tc2 OC, Jay Pandolfo, Dick Rodenheiser, Bob Marquis)
    18: Chris Drury (c2 Herb Wakabayashi)
    19: John Cullen
    20: Craig Sanders
    21: Mike Eruzione
    22:
    23: Dick Lamby
    24: Mike Sullivan
    25: Scott Young
    26: Jon Coleman
    27: Bryan Miller
    28: Fabulous Freddy Meyer
    29: Rick DiPietro
    30: Jim Craig
    31: Sean Fields
    33: Colin Wilson
    35: Cleon Daskalakis
    36: John Curry
    97: Matt Gilroy
    Scott Lachance is a tough pick for #11. I guess if you are looking at post-BU, he might get the nod, but it's not like his one year at BU was dominating. He was very solid as a freshman, but not an "all-time" type of season. I would either put his brother Bob, who started with a different number, but went on to be a prolific assist man, or Mark Bavis (RIP )

Putting Ed Ronan as #13 is a bit of a stretch - he wore #10 for at least his last two years, really his only productive years. And Bonino is already a better player than Ed, so I would put Nick there. That's the benefit of picking a number that most people stay away from

Ronan's linemate Tomlinson sure picked a tough number - he's among the top 10 BU scorers of all time, and he doesn't get among 4 players named for his number (the same does not apply for Greg Quebec, though getting a goal against Michigan in the '97 game almost qualifies him )

Poor Ian Wood...if he just had a number other than a 241 point scorer, he might be on the list

I'm having too much fun with this. That's what happens on a Friday afternoon before a holiday weekend.
    BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
      Zajac over Archie?

In my opinion, Zajac was the better player. Although, Archie managed to rack up over 500 PIM as well as 144 pts in his 4 year career
      North Dakota
      National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
        23: Zmolek over crazy legs Hirsch
        No honorable mention for my buddy the Riddler #21?

Comment

I'm going to disagree on a few points. Edits in bold.

North Dakota:

1: Karl Goehring (Jordan Parise)
          2: Craig Ludwig (Curtis Murphy, Matt Greene, Dave Hakstol)
          3: James Patrick (Murray Baron)
          4: Lee Goren (Ian Kidd, David Hale, Taylor Chorney)
          5: Jason Blake (Scott Sandelin, David Lundbohm, Chay Genoway)
          6: Rick Zombo (sorry Andy Schneider)
          7: TJ Oshie (Brad Bombardir, Bucks Bochenski, Travis Roche, Hrkac also wore)
          8: Dave Tippett (over Doug Smail, Mike Commodore, Kevin Hoogsteen)
          9: Jon Toews (over Greg Johnson, but yes)
          10: Bryan Lundbohm (over Gino Gasparini )
          11: Zach Parise (just over Mark Taylor, Dixon Ward, Rastislov Spirko)
          12: Terry Casey (RIP, and the reason #12 won't be worn at UND again)
          13: Dave Christian
          14: Ben Cherski (over Lee Davidson, Brady Murray)
          15: James Archibald (Travis Zajac)
          16: Ryan Duncan
          17: Jeff Panzer
          18: Reg Morelli (also wore 16) (Drew Stafford, David Hoogsteen, Tim Skarperud)
          19: John Noah! (Jeff Ulmer, Ryan Bayda, Mike Prpich)
          20: Bob Joyce
          21: Tony Hrkac
          22: Cary Eades
          23: Ralph (WHAT? No Aaron Schneekloth? )
          24: Chris Porter (Brad Defauw, Dane Jackson)
          25: Phil Sykes (Ryan Hale)
          26: Ryan Johnson (Jason Notermann)
          27: Matt Smaby
          28: Robbie Bina
          29: Ed Belfour (Chris VandeVelde)
          30: Darren Jensen
          31: Jeff Lembke
          32: Daniel McKinnon
          33:
          34: JP Lamoureux (he wore it at UND for at least a season)
          35: Jon Casey (Toby Kvalevog)
          Last edited by The Sicatoka; 09-04-2009, 04:53 PM.
          The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

I guess it depends on whether you look at only what they did while they were in school, or if you factor in what they did after.

Greg Johnson is the all-time leader in school history for points.
            Mark Taylor is 2nd.
            Dixon Ward is 4th.
            Lee Davidson is 5th, and Doug Smail is 6th.
            We didn't even mention Steve Johnson who is 7th.

Granted, Taylor and Ward wore the same number, but it's funny that only 1 of the top 7 point leaders in school history made the list.
            North Dakota
            National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by Jockstock View Post
              No honorable mention for my buddy the Riddler #21?
              You know he probably deserves that - some people seemed to rag on him but I liked Riddle quite a bit.

Comment

Troy had some serious wheels. But, Bonin was better.
                the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by defkit View Post
                  Scott Lachance is a tough pick for #11. I guess if you are looking at post-BU, he might get the nod, but it's not like his one year at BU was dominating. He was very solid as a freshman, but not an "all-time" type of season. I would either put his brother Bob, who started with a different number, but went on to be a prolific assist man, or Mark Bavis (RIP )

Putting Ed Ronan as #13 is a bit of a stretch - he wore #10 for at least his last two years, really his only productive years. And Bonino is already a better player than Ed, so I would put Nick there. That's the benefit of picking a number that most people stay away from

Ronan's linemate Tomlinson sure picked a tough number - he's among the top 10 BU scorers of all time, and he doesn't get among 4 players named for his number (the same does not apply for Greg Quebec, though getting a goal against Michigan in the '97 game almost qualifies him )

I'm having too much fun with this. That's what happens on a Friday afternoon before a holiday weekend.
                  11 & 13 were my two hardest numbers.... there is a lot of "well....." there. no dominating standout. (and i won't admit that bonino never crossed my mind )
                  a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

I also forgot to consider MaClanahan, Strobel, Verchota, Larson, Yackel Sr, Auge and Schneider.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                      I also forgot to consider MaClanahan, Strobel, Verchota, Larson, Yackel Sr, Auge and Schneider.
                      If you have time to put together a final list it would be nice to post it in the alum section. I've already posted yours and SOH's previous draft. Good work!

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
                        Denver:

1: Ron Grahame over George Kirkwood (Both were AAs, but Ronny went on to greater fame)
                        2: Keith Magnuson - Two time AA, two time NCAA Champ, Greatest Pioneer Ever
                        3: George Konik -AA, good early 60s player
                        4: Brett Skinner over Chris Butler and Craig Redmond (Skinner won two NCAA crowns and was an AA. Redmond was the best frosh I ever saw in a DU but only stayed a year, while Butler was an AA, but was not the leader Skinner was)
                        5: Marty Howe - Two time AA in ealry 60s
                        6: Grant Munro - AA in early 60s
                        7: Glenn Anderson - Only stayed a year in 79. Future NHL hall of Famer.
                        8: Cal Sandbeck - Steady 70s player
                        9: Gabe Gauthier over Kevin Dineen, Dwight Mathiasen or Bill Masterton (Tough one - these guys were all great. Gauthier was an AA and scored the biggest goal in DU history in 04, , so he gets the nod over Dineen (hardest working DU player ever), Mathiasen (big stats and an AA in 1986 and Masterton (an easlry 60s AA who later became famous for being the only player to die in an NHL game in 1968
                        10: Cliff Korroll - Key player on two NC teams in late 60s, went on to NHL career
                        11: Jerry Walker -AA - Great scorer on DU's early 60s dynasty
                        12: Dallas Gaume -Hobey Finalist, AA and All time scoring leader at DU in mid 80s
                        13: Rich Preston - 70s player who later went on to the NHL
                        14: Jim Wiste over Dave Shields (Wiste was a two-time AA, pro player and gets points for owning the Campus Lounge (a great hockey bar), Shields was a Hobey Finalist)
                        15: Eddie Miller over John McMillan and Peter McNab (Miller was DU's first AA)
                        16: George Morrison - Two time AA in late 60s NC teams
                        17: Craig Patrick over Daryn McBride (Patrick was the more valuable captain on two NC teams, although McBride was an AA)
                        18: Ed Cristofoli - DU Iron man in late 80s, later played for Montreal in NHL
                        19: Connor James - Heart and Soul player on DU's 2004 title team
                        20: Paul Comrie - AA - Big stats, big head
                        21: Ryan Caldwell over Tyler Bozak. Caldwell was an AA.
                        22: Ken Berry - Talented, went on to long pro career in 80s
                        23: Marty Steinley - Above average player on high scoring, no defense DU teams in early 80s
                        24: Adam Berkhoel - Won an NC in 2004
                        25: Matt Carle - Hobey Baker Winner - only one in Denver history in 06
                        26: Paul Stastny - Later wore 11. Was an AA in 06, and key player on 05 NC team.
                        27: Matt Laatsch - Not so much for his talent, but for his heart and leadership as captain i 05
                        28: Patrick Wiercioch - not much competition at this number, but a great player already
                        29: Peter Mannino - Should have been an AA, but got an NC instead as a frosh in 05
                        30: Chris Olson - Was an AA back in 1986
                        31: Wade Dubielewicz - Probably the greatest DU goalie in terms of stats
                        33: Sinue Wallinheimo - Gets in for his wild antics (mid 90s)
                        34: Ben Henrich - Not much competition at this number
                        39: Brock Trotter - not a traditional number but a deserving player (07)

Good job Swami

Some of my additional thoughts

1: Add Gerry Powers into the mix. 2nd most wins all time by a goalie with 76 (in 96 games), 2nd most shutouts with 13, 3rd best GAA with 2.35 (tied with Mannino) and only behind Dubie and Kirkwood's 2.20. NCAA All Tourney Team in 1968 and 69, NCAA Tourney MVP in 1968, 2 Time All WCHA.

7: Glenn Anderson is a great pick especially considering his post DU career in the NHL. Doug Berry probably contributed more in his 3 seasons at DU so I am torn on this one. Berry was rated in The Hockey News draft preview issue as U.S. college hockey's No. 1 prospect for the 1977 NHL draft. There was no Hobey Baker Award but he was generally acknowledged as the best college player in '77/78. All American and All WCHA in 1978. DU Hockey MVP and overall school athlete of the year in '78. 180 points in 119 career games.

8: Good pick with Cal Sandbeck but for most of his DU career he wore #4. At #8 I would select Brian Morenz (cousin of Howie Morenz), a solid player who played in the late 60s and early 70s. Won 2 WCHA championships and was one of the captains in 1971/72. Also he was the team MVP in '71/72. 120 points in 106 career games.

9: Probably the toughest number to pick due to the large number of great players that wore it. Although I never saw him play for DU, everyone I have talked to who saw him play or played with him on the 1960 and 1961 championship teams said Bill Masterton was the best player on the best team. In 1960 he had one assist in the title game and in 1961 he had 3 goals and 2 assists. He captained the 1961 team, the greatest team ever at DU which went 30-1-1. Two-time AA, NCAA All Tourney Team in 1961 and NCAA Tourney MVP in 1961. 196 points in 89 games. Gabe with 155 points in 164 games. No doubt Gabe did the #9 proud especially with his 2004 heroics against Maine but my gut says Masterton. Can't go wrong with either.

14: Wiste is a great pick as is Shields. I would also throw Vic Venasky's name in the hat. Best player on DU in the two seasons he played in the early 1970s. AA in 1971, his freshman year. Tied for 3rd with Perry Schnarr all time for most points by a freshman with 56. Had 46 points in his second year and turned pro after his soph year. Totaled 102 points in 57 career games. Played 430 games with the LA Kings. Injuries ended his pro career early. Another tough one to pick but I go with Wiste like you did.

19: Connor James certainly holds his place in DU history and is well deserving of being #1 for #19. I would also recognize Perry Schnarr who still holds the record for most goals by a frosh with 37 and 3rd most points by a frosh with 56 only behind Gaume and MacMillan. Scored 72 goals in 76 career games and was the sniper on Doug Berry's line. The big goal scorer on the 1977/78 team which went 33-6-1. Was lightning fast and could beat any d-man in the league one on one.

21: Add Gary Nedelak with 100 points in 147 games as a d-man from 1978-81. More points than Caldwell and was also well respected by his team mates. Captain in 1980-81. Although he never made AA, was an important cog on the blueline when he played at DU. As a freshmen in 77/78 he was one of the 6 starters on D.
                        Last edited by du78; 09-05-2009, 10:08 PM.
                        DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                          Wisconsin:

1: Brian Elliott (G)
                          2: Bob Suter (D)
                          3: Brian Rafalski (D)
                          4: Gary Suter (D)
                          5: Craig Norwich (D)
                          6: Jeff Andriga (D)
                          7: John Taft (D)
                          8: Joe Pavelski (F)
                          9:
                          10: Mark Johnson (F)
                          11: Jim Johannson (F)
                          12: John Johannson (F)
                          13:
                          14: Tom Gilbert (D)
                          15: Dany Heatley (F)
                          16: Adam Burish (F)
                          17: Mike Eaves (F)
                          18:
                          19: Tom Sagissor (F)
                          20:
                          21: Chris Chelios (D) Tony Granato (F) uh... Tonris Granatelios?
                          22: Chris Tancill (F)
                          23: Steve Tuttle (F)
                          24:
                          25:
                          26: Barry Richter (D)
                          27: Steve Reinprecht (F)
                          28: Paul Houston (F)
                          29: Duane Derksen (G)
                          30:
                          31: Marc Behrend (G) (sorry Licari)
                          32: Bernd Bruckler (G)
                          33:
                          34:
                          35:
                          6 I'd take Sean Hill over Jeff Andringa
                          9 Steve Tuttle
                          11 I'd think Steve Alley or John Byce instead
                          20 Ron Vincent
                          25 Bruce Driver, with Paul Ranheim a close second
                          26 Pat Flatley
                          Last edited by Badger Abroad; 09-06-2009, 01:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                            Wisconsin:

1: Brian Elliott (G)
                            2: Bob Suter (D)
                            3: Brian Rafalski (D)
                            4: Gary Suter (D)
                            5: Craig Norwich (D)
                            6: Jeff Andriga (D)
                            7: John Taft (D)
                            8: Joe Pavelski (F)
                            9:
                            10: Mark Johnson (F)
                            11: Jim Johannson (F)
                            12: John Johannson (F)
                            13:
                            14: Tom Gilbert (D)
                            15: Dany Heatley (F)
                            16: Adam Burish (F)
                            17: Mike Eaves (F)
                            18:
                            19: Tom Sagissor (F)
                            20:
                            21: Chris Chelios (D) Tony Granato (F) uh... Tonris Granatelios?
                            22: Chris Tancill (F)
                            23: Steve Tuttle (F)
                            24:
                            25:
                            26: Barry Richter (D)
                            27: Steve Reinprecht (F)
                            28: Paul Houston (F)
                            29: Duane Derksen (G)
                            30:
                            31: Marc Behrend (G) (sorry Licari)
                            32: Bernd Bruckler (G)
                            33:
                            34:
                            35:
                            5: Theran Welsh (the closest call of any number)
                            6: Brian Engblom
                            9: Bert DeHate
                            11: Steve Alley
                            12: Doug McDonald
                            16: Scott Lecy (Burish would have a hard time making top 5, with Paul Houck, Gary Shuchuk, Bob Poffenroth)
                            19: Scott Mellanby (Brian Mullen)
                            24: Mark Oseicki
                            25: Bruce Driver
                            26: Pat Flatley

Comment

Originally posted by Boosh View Post
                              Matt Greene, duh?
                              I was thinking the samething.
                              Contributing Editor and College Hockey Writer at Inside Hockey
                              Eric's Twitter
                              The Sin Bin The Sports Daily

Comment

Relatively short history for Miami, but I'll take a shot with a good dose of personal bias:

1: Alain Chevrier
                                2: Boyd Sutton
                                3: Bobby Marshall
                                4: Andrew Backen
                                5: Joe Cook
                                6: Dan Boyle
                                7: Steve Wilson
                                8: Mike Orn
                                9: Rick Kuraly
                                10: Kevyn Adams
                                11: Rico Blasi (until Camper graduates)
                                12: Greg Hogeboom