Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EMERGENCY - I'm drinking and the old drinking thread is closed!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: EMERGENCY - I'm drinking and the old drinking thread is closed!

Ballast Point Grapefruit Sculpin (IPA): Nope. All the nopes. Considering I don't mind the regular Sculpin and at least appreciated the quality of the Habanero Sculpin, this was a huge disappointment. I quite literally took 2 sips, then promptly dumped it down the drain.

Crazy Mountain Brewing Lawyers, Guns, And Money (American Barleywine): A little hoppy taste, but very smooth. Liking this one.

So, 1 for 2 on this BYO6 so far.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Dark Horse Fore Smoked Stout: Very well done. Recommend.

21st Amendment Monk's Blood: surprisingly good. This was the one I was most doubtful about, and so far it's been the best of the BYO6.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Get-together at bbdl's yesterday:

Odell Tree Shaker Imperial Peach IPA. It was tasty, but lots of sediment. Don't know if it was supposed to be like that.

bbdl also had that problem with Mikkeller George (RIS). Plus, that beer was a little hoppy for the style.

Comment

Another visit to Founders yesterday. Had the Black Rye (great), Nitro Pale Ale (meh), and Solid Gold (good light beer).
          Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
          "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
          Patreon for exclusive writing content
          Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

It pays to be on (e)mailing lists with good liquor stores...

Just got notice that one here is getting a limited shipment of Angel's Envy Rye.

I have a bottle, but need a backup.

Going to Louisville in June and in calling stores down there, they don't have any... in Kentucky.

Just called and am #1 on the list. Wish I could swing more than 1 bottle ($80), but I already have a partial (mostly) and am getting a backup.

Comment

I need to restock the bar a bit. We went through 2 bottles last weekend, Woodford Double Oaked and Caol Ila 12 year. So, at least I don't have anything too expensive to buy. I think I'm going back to Laphroaig, instead of Caol Ila, I like the younger Laph better than the younger Caol. Probably will get another bottle of Woodford, since that seems to be a good fit for my bar. Going to have to replace 2 more bottles of Islay soon. My 18 year Bunnahabhain is almost gone, as is the 12 year Bowmore. Bowmore will be replaced with another bottle of Bowmore, but I will find something new to replace the Bunnahabhain. Would love to get my hands on some of that Angel's Envy Rye, that Gurt mentioned.
              Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

I've gotten lucky that near my place is a bar/restaurant that taps about 30 beers and rotates many of them almost weekly.

I need to start writing down the good ones though. By the time I'm at the store I've forgotten.

Bought some summery beer for patio sitting. Summer Shandy and Angry Orchard. Nothing special but hits the spot when it's hot.
                PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                  Would love to get my hands on some of that Angel's Envy Rye, that Gurt mentioned.

Try Total Wine locations up by you. According to their website, they have it in stock.

$85

Comment

Buyer beware though... many rye heavies don't love it and deride it as rum flavored rye.

I like it and find it to be quite unique, but I'm coming at it from a rum heavy's angle...

At $85, read some reviews.

Comment

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
                      I've gotten lucky that near my place is a bar/restaurant that taps about 30 beers and rotates many of them almost weekly.

I need to start writing down the good ones though. By the time I'm at the store I've forgotten.

Bought some summery beer for patio sitting. Summer Shandy and Angry Orchard. Nothing special but hits the spot when it's hot.
                      I, and others around here, use the app Untappd. You check in the beers you drink, and give them a rating, so then when you are looking for a beer you have a record. Also, based on what you like, it will give you recommendations.
                      Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                        Try Total Wine locations up by you. According to their website, they have it in stock.

$85
                        Sounds like a good lunch excursion.

And I'm not worried about the heavier rum flavor. I'm not a snob when it comes to American Whiskey, so I'd be more interested in trying something that is good, and different. I already have a standard bottle of rye, so this would be an interesting contrast. I'm much more particular about my scotch.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Found it at Total Wine Roseville. Thanks for the suggestion! If anyone else is interested (Brent), they had about 5 bottles left.

Also picked up a DIPA from Ballast Point, Ballast Point Victory at Sea and Wasatch Ghostrider.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Had the other Angel's whiskey, and was underwhelmed, especially given the price.

As for bbdl's Caol....when he brought out the bottle last Sat and said, "We need to finish this..." Well, challenge accepted. Nothing like just swiggin' good scotch out of the bottle.

Tonight, stopped by a store to see if they had anything good/new. They did. Avery Brewing Uncle Jacob's Stout (barrel-aged). The ABV > Price > Oz in the bottle: 16.9/14/12. Think about that.

Comment

Enjoying a well deserved Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva neat after the Hawks OT victory. I fanned as hard as I could fan.

Left the bottle and an empty glass on the table at the start of the first OT...

Started around 5 with a couple of margs (Camarena reposado & Mandarin Napoleon) with our fajitas and had several Angostura 1919 & Cokes during regulation.

A good night.

Comment

Alaskan Imperial Red. Not even close to as good as the Lucid Duce. It's okay and all, but would probably not buy again. A little disappointed, given the quality of Alaskan's other offerings.

Comment

Working...
                                X