Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EMERGENCY - I'm drinking and the old drinking thread is closed!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: EMERGENCY - I'm drinking and the old drinking thread is closed!

Spotted Cow is WAY overrated though. Possibly the least interesting and my least favorite of their beers.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
      New Glarus is easily my favorite Wisconsin micro brewery and I really like a lot of their beers and think they have a great selection.

That said, can't imagine why that guy thought it was worth the risk. There are a gillion other great micros now to choose from.
      Agreed. Sprecher is up there, IMO. Capitol Brewing isn't bad at all, either.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

None of what NG makes is worth going out of your way for. It's just middle of the road in my book. I've had a few of their other brews, but the only one that has stood out among the pack is their coffee stout, which is pretty good. Otherwise I just don't get it.
        Code:
        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
        Originally posted by SanTropez
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
        Originally posted by Kepler
        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
          None of what NG makes is worth going out of your way for. It's just middle of the road in my book. I've had a few of their other brews, but the only one that has stood out among the pack is their coffee stout, which is pretty good. Otherwise I just don't get it.
          Their Belgian Red is outstanding. Other than that, it's just a very solid "normal" beer overall. I do pick some up whenever in WI. Only money I spend there, if I can help it.
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
            I have no clue what this guy was thinking. How could he think this was legal? FTR, I like NG, but won't go out of my way to get it. I could easily make a border run (about an hours' drive, one way).
            probably thought he had the law enforcement on his side or something. Probably dumb enough to think that a distributor rep wouldn't narc him.

---

I still think most beer laws are byzantine. But so it goes.

---

Checked out two breweries yesterday... Brewer's Art in Baltimore, MD. For a place that sells itself on artisnal food and beer they only really delivered on the food... and I'm not a foodie so... eh. Not that they were bad... everything we had was good... just not great and not up to hype. Its a bit of a shame the delivery level gets higher because of all the breweries around but so it goes. Picked up a bottle of something they didn't have on draft. Hopefully someday it'll redeem itself. I'll have a nicer version of the above for the blog.

Jailbreak Brewing in Laurel, MD had some nice stuff. They also have put a nice little venue together in their business park location. Only open about a year.

Most of these breweries around here have room to mature around here... which is only fair because none of them have been open 5 years.
            Last edited by Patman; 04-20-2015, 12:44 AM.
            BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
            Skating Friar Jersey
            AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
            UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
            Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
              I am not too impressed with their regular offerings. They're not bad, but just not exceptional. Their special offerings though, are very good. Both the line of fruit beers: Belgian Red, Serendipity, Strawberry Rhubarb, etc. and their Thumbprint line: Scream IIPA, various sours, etc. are all excellent. Big fan of the special offerings from NG.

As for my favorite WI breweries, I like: Sprecher, Lakefront, Ale Asylum and Central Waters (if only for their barrel series) better than New Glarus. Hinterland, MKE, and a few other very small ones are also quite good.
              Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                I am not too impressed with their regular offerings. They're not bad, but just not exceptional. Their special offerings though, are very good. Both the line of fruit beers: Belgian Red, Serendipity, Strawberry Rhubarb, etc. and their Thumbprint line: Scream IIPA, various sours, etc. are all excellent. Big fan of the special offerings from NG.

As for my favorite WI breweries, I like: Sprecher, Lakefront, Ale Asylum and Central Waters (if only for their barrel series) better than New Glarus. Hinterland, MKE, and a few other very small ones are also quite good.
                Sums up my thoughts nicely. Love NG special offerings but could easily live without another spotted cow for the rest of my life. Spotted cow is kind of like blue moon for me. It is something I order when I am at a bar that literally has nothing but miller/bud water.

As far as Wisconsin, it probably goes Ale Asylum, Central Waters, MKE, Lakefront, Sprecher and then others.
                In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Originally posted by burd
                I look at some people and I just know they do it doggy style. No way they're getting close to my kids.

Comment

Ballast Point Victory At Sea. Worth the hype.
                  Too bad you hate IPAs because Sculpin is the quintessential San Diego IPA IMO. But yeah, Victory at Sea is amazing, they have a yearly release party where they have about 10-15 different variants on tap, all of them are oh so good.
                  Old Monster Records

Comment

Sculpin is amazing. Grapefruit Sculpin is even better. Although I wouldn't recommend the latter outside of tastings and warm weather days.
                    Code:
                    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                    Originally posted by SanTropez
                    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                    Originally posted by Kepler
                    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by Rimbaud View Post
                      Too bad you hate IPAs because Sculpin is the quintessential San Diego IPA IMO. But yeah, Victory at Sea is amazing, they have a yearly release party where they have about 10-15 different variants on tap, all of them are oh so good.
                      Funny you say that. Brent actually likes Sculpin. I know, bizarro world.
                      Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                        Funny you say that. Brent actually likes Sculpin. I know, bizarro world.
                        So Brent doesn't like East Coast/Traditional IPAs because almost every major IPA on the West Coast is similar to Sculpin with more citrus/tropical fruit hop aroma/flavor vs the big piney/earthy/resinous notes traditional IPAs have. A more subdued malt character, a touch drier, and not as harsh on the bittering as well. I didn't really like IPAs until I came out here.
                        Old Monster Records

Comment

I do like Sculpin, but still would not have more than one at a sitting. For IPAs, it just depends on the actual beer. You could give me two similarily-styled (west coast, east coast, traditional, whatever) and there's a chance I'd like one, but not the other.

I am sort of fond of the Black IPAs/etc like Founder's Dark Penance and Black Rye, although yet again, wouldn't have more than one in a sitting.

Comment

Tried the Founders' Imperial Stout today. 10.1% ABV.. one of the best stouts I've had.

And that's the highest ABV for a beer I've ever had.
                            Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                            "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                            Patreon for exclusive writing content
                            Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

• Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
                              Tried the Founders' Imperial Stout today. 10.1% ABV.. one of the best stouts I've had.

And that's the highest ABV for a beer I've ever had.
                              There was a good 2 months that was the LOWEST I had.

Comment

There was a good 2 months that was the LOWEST I had.
                                I do like the higher gravity beers after a race.
                                Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                                "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                                Patreon for exclusive writing content
                                Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Working...
                                X