Holy Cross and Sacred Heart Programs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holy Cross and Sacred Heart Programs

I haven't seen much posted about the importance of Holy Cross' acceptance into Hockey East. Aside from being really good for HC, it's good for the women's game in general. There are limited D1 spots available for incoming freshmen and with ND shutting down their program I think it's important to have both of these programs become successful. It provides 36 more options for those who aspire to play at the D1 level. Sacred Heart is kind of on the clock now as they will need to find a conference to make themselves relevant in D1.

Until University of Michigan (9.7B endowment), Notre Dame (8.4B endowment), Northwestern (9.6B endowment), Michigan State University (2.3B endowment), Illinois University (currently doing a feasibility study) and a few others Midwest schools buck up (puck up) and put a D1 program together a lot of young women with the potential to play at the D1 level will be shut out. I understand there are a lot of D3 programs available, and that is good hockey also, but I'm just rambling about D1 at this time.

I could be wrong of course, but I see these two programs as very important in the near future for women's college hockey. Any thoughts?

Re: Holy Cross and Sacred Heart Programs

Originally posted by hockeymakesmebroke View Post
    I haven't seen much posted about the importance of Holy Cross' acceptance into Hockey East. Aside from being really good for HC, it's good for the women's game in general. There are limited D1 spots available for incoming freshmen and with ND shutting down their program I think it's important to have both of these programs become successful. It provides 36 more options for those who aspire to play at the D1 level. Sacred Heart is kind of on the clock now as they will need to find a conference to make themselves relevant in D1.

Until University of Michigan (9.7B endowment), Notre Dame (8.4B endowment), Northwestern (9.6B endowment), Michigan State University (2.3B endowment), Illinois University (currently doing a feasibility study) and a few others Midwest schools buck up (puck up) and put a D1 program together a lot of young women with the potential to play at the D1 level will be shut out. I understand there are a lot of D3 programs available, and that is good hockey also, but I'm just rambling about D1 at this time.

I could be wrong of course, but I see these two programs as very important in the near future for women's college hockey. Any thoughts?
    Holy Cross finally got to their version of hockey nirvana which they have been talking about for over 10 years. They will do fine.

Sacred Heart is a women's hockey backwater and will continue to be. I'm candidly not really clear why they even have a team at this point. The CHA would have taken them at any point since they formed if they were interested in really being a D1 team. They played Lindenwood for many years back before Lindenwood went D1 so travel isn't an issue for them. They don't have their own rink and play in 2nd rate rinks around Southern CT (change every few years). They could easily go away and no one would notice - and their demise would be of no significance to the future of women's D1 hockey, unlike UND which is a real concern....

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyEast33 View Post
      Holy Cross finally got to their version of hockey nirvana which they have been talking about for over 10 years. They will do fine.

Sacred Heart is a women's hockey backwater and will continue to be. I'm candidly not really clear why they even have a team at this point. The CHA would have taken them at any point since they formed if they were interested in really being a D1 team. They played Lindenwood for many years back before Lindenwood went D1 so travel isn't an issue for them. They don't have their own rink and play in 2nd rate rinks around Southern CT (change every few years). They could easily go away and no one would notice - and their demise would be of no significance to the future of women's D1 hockey, unlike UND which is a real concern....
      My daughter's team played Holy Cross in the NEHC last season. They're a good team....by D3 standards, they have a few tough years ahead to build to a true D1 program but should get there.

Comment

I too hope Holy Cross is able to put together a good team and compete. As you said, there will be a few tough years ahead as I'll make the leap and say that for the next two years most of the top tier recruits are already committed elsewhere. That's not to say that they cannot compete with what they have, they may not win, but they can compete. Sacred Heart played HC pretty tight last year so they are not far off talent-wise from that program but it is curious that they are one of only 37 programs in the entire country and haven't really done anything to make others take them seriously.

Comment

I too hope Holy Cross is able to put together a good team and compete. As you said, there will be a few tough years ahead as I'll make the leap and say that for the next two years most of the top tier recruits are already committed elsewhere. That's not to say that they cannot compete with what they have, they may not win, but they can compete. Sacred Heart played HC pretty tight last year so they are not far off talent-wise from that program but it is curious that they are one of only 37 programs in the entire country and haven't really done anything to make others take them seriously.
          The NEHC had several non-D3 schools in the conference last year, I was told that if you are in a D3 conference then you have to "play by their rules" when it comes to scholarships. So HC, St. A, Franklin Pierce and St. Michaels couldn't offer athletic scholarships to their players because they were officially in the NEHC. They could get creative with their financial aid but could not offer scholarships. I wonder if SH was doing the same thing? at the very least HC was playing in a regular conference and could offer that to their recruits, with SH being an independent that certainly limits the appeal.....

Comment

Originally posted by GTOWN View Post
            The NEHC had several non-D3 schools in the conference last year, I was told that if you are in a D3 conference then you have to "play by their rules" when it comes to scholarships. So HC, St. A, Franklin Pierce and St. Michaels couldn't offer athletic scholarships to their players because they were officially in the NEHC. They could get creative with their financial aid but could not offer scholarships. I wonder if SH was doing the same thing? at the very least HC was playing in a regular conference and could offer that to their recruits, with SH being an independent that certainly limits the appeal.....
            SH provides a very limited # of scholarships to women's hockey and they use them every year. Usually just 1-3 that they spread over a few players.

Comment

I know nothing about HC other than visiting the campus one time earlier this summer. I predict a coaching change there prior to the jump to Hockey East. I have never seen or heard about HC doing any recruiting at National Camps, or at things like NAPS in Rochester or Prospects in MN. There are bunches of current D1 assistants that have networks of HS/Tier 1/Prep coaches they are in regular contact with and recruits that they have both seen play numerous times and are in the process of recruiting to their current D1 team. My kid reached out along with her HS coach to current coach Van Buskirk about a visit and heard NOTHING back about my kids interest in the program and visiting.

HC has a beautiful campus and is in the process of renovating their athletic facilities (having visited there this summer with my kid). It is a highly ranked school academically and should be a nice destination for many prospective players whomever the coach is. It would seem like they will need to start getting on the recruiting scene/trail as LOTS of kids that are rising seniors that could be a nice fit are already spoken for and rising juniors are the same.

They have a massive roster (like 29-30 kids?) of which 12 kids will be gone by 18/19 but just a quick look at their schedule and it looks like the team in its current makeup would get pounded by almost any current D1 team. I am guessing that they would definitely want to start recruiting some kids from the HS classes of 18/19/20 at some point and maybe the crickets that many hear are a result of an upcoming regime change. Thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by used2lurk View Post
                I know nothing about HC other than visiting the campus one time earlier this summer. I predict a coaching change there prior to the jump to Hockey East. I have never seen or heard about HC doing any recruiting at National Camps, or at things like NAPS in Rochester or Prospects in MN. There are bunches of current D1 assistants that have networks of HS/Tier 1/Prep coaches they are in regular contact with and recruits that they have both seen play numerous times and are in the process of recruiting to their current D1 team. My kid reached out along with her HS coach to current coach Van Buskirk about a visit and heard NOTHING back about my kids interest in the program and visiting.

HC has a beautiful campus and is in the process of renovating their athletic facilities (having visited there this summer with my kid). It is a highly ranked school academically and should be a nice destination for many prospective players whomever the coach is. It would seem like they will need to start getting on the recruiting scene/trail as LOTS of kids that are rising seniors that could be a nice fit are already spoken for and rising juniors are the same.

They have a massive roster (like 29-30 kids?) of which 12 kids will be gone by 18/19 but just a quick look at their schedule and it looks like the team in its current makeup would get pounded by almost any current D1 team. I am guessing that they would definitely want to start recruiting some kids from the HS classes of 18/19/20 at some point and maybe the crickets that many hear are a result of an upcoming regime change. Thoughts?
                There is a posting for an Associate Head Coach at Holy Cross. I don't see anything for a Head Coach.

Comment

I have to believe that the posting for Associate Head Coach is a position for recruiting. Frankly, time is getting short. The Beantown tournament is coming up in their back yard in a few weeks and they should be there trying to get some of the 19U uncommitted players that show promise. Hopefully, they can capitalize on the "late bloomer" market and snag a few of those women. If Coach VanBuskirk is still the future for HC then the next year or two of recruiting will tell the story.

Comment

Originally posted by used2lurk View Post

From my experience with women's hockey, I would actually rank Coach Van Buskirk squarely in the middle as far as his level of recruiting activity. I have seen him almost every time I have been to nationals, Beantown, NAHA, etc. Also seems like a pretty good guy.

Comment

I have to believe that the posting for Associate Head Coach is a position for recruiting. Frankly, time is getting short. The Beantown tournament is coming up in their back yard in a few weeks and they should be there trying to get some of the 19U uncommitted players that show promise. Hopefully, they can capitalize on the "late bloomer" market and snag a few of those women. If Coach VanBuskirk is still the future for HC then the next year or two of recruiting will tell the story.
                      My daughter happens to be one of those "late bloomer, 19U uncommitted players" and this seems to be a good school. Very nice campus as we toured it a couple of weeks ago. I guess we'll see what happens!

Comment

Originally posted by DDad16 View Post
                        My daughter happens to be one of those "late bloomer, 19U uncommitted players" and this seems to be a good school. Very nice campus as we toured it a couple of weeks ago. I guess we'll see what happens!
                        Good Luck! Keep us posted.

Comment

Originally posted by DDad16 View Post
                          Lots of late bloomers, and ones that didn't go the standard route so they get missed if not playing for one of the usual claimed top teams. Many coaches especially in the women's game do not recruit very hard to unearth whats there in a player.

Best of luck

Comment

I think that is spot on, they don't dive very deep when recruiting for the girls. You don't have to look far to realize that if you live in the Boston or Minnesota areas you stand a pretty good chance of being recruited. That includes the Canadian players that are proximal to those teams. Just look at the Commitments page for the NCAA. (Is this the best source for following commitments?) Assuming most of the recruits come from the 16U programs, if you look at the top 4 ranked teams, nearly every girl on those teams has a commitment. Yet, go a bit further down the list and look at the National Champion and they have only two committed. Seems a bit low and maybe recruiters need to dive a little deeper into the pool.

Originally posted by Northbynorthwest View Post
                            Lots of late bloomers, and ones that didn't go the standard route so they get missed if not playing for one of the usual claimed top teams. Many coaches especially in the women's game do not recruit very hard to unearth whats there in a player.

Best of luck

Comment

I think that is spot on, they don't dive very deep when recruiting for the girls. You don't have to look far to realize that if you live in the Boston or Minnesota areas you stand a pretty good chance of being recruited. That includes the Canadian players that are proximal to those teams. Just look at the Commitments page for the NCAA. (Is this the best source for following commitments?) Assuming most of the recruits come from the 16U programs, if you look at the top 4 ranked teams, nearly every girl on those teams has a commitment. Yet, go a bit further down the list and look at the National Champion and they have only two committed. Seems a bit low and maybe recruiters need to dive a little deeper into the pool.
                              The basic team my daughter played on (a few changes every year) played well at the National Tournament, medaling on 2 out of 4 years they qualified. The feedback her coaches received from the college coaches was that her team played well as a unit even though there weren't any true standouts on the team (except for 1 year they had 2 legit blue-chippers). There were a few "bubble" players over the years who could be small fish in a bigger D1 pond or big fish in a smaller DIII pond. The remainder would be average DIII players. (When considering their individual talent)

Comment

Working...
                              X