Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2018 USA Olympic Women's Hockey Team

http://www.usahockey.com/news_articl...rrer_id=752796

What on earth is USA Hockey doing? The press releases indicates that 2 more players have been called up to be under consideration for the Olympic team. None currently active in college, this time.

In the case of Skarupa, I heard her in a podcast for women’s hockey digest, she was asked about being cut from the team plus her plans for the future, and she sounded sad when responding, albeit resilient and determined to move on. If she makes the team, you wonder if her physical and mental state will be what it could have been had they not ran their process this way. The same goes for the other two call ups.

What do you guys think of this approach?

Comment

Originally posted by Lindsay View Post

What on earth is USA Hockey doing? The press releases indicates that 2 more players have been called up to be under consideration for the Olympic team. None currently active in college, this time.

In the case of Skarupa, I heard her in a podcast for women’s hockey digest, she was asked about being cut from the team plus her plans for the future, and she sounded sad when responding, albeit resilient and determined to move on. If she makes the team, you wonder if her physical and mental state will be what it could have been had they not ran their process this way. The same goes for the other two call ups.

If they feel this will get them the best roster and crush Canada, so be it. It's better than keeping players who they aren't thrilled with on the team just because they didn't invite others and should have or wanted to.
      Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
      "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
      Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

thank gawd

complacency?
        something that has been in the news lately: power
        people holding power generally don't like being told what to do
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgtQj8O92eI

Comment

I remember the great fanfare around the announcement of the women's Olympic team after last year's world's.

You mean USA Hockey possibly got the selection wrong? Or, is Stauber pulling a Brooks bringing in an outsider or two to shake things up??
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids
          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Maybe injuries to players currently in camp threatening their ability to be ready in Feb, necessitating replacements?

Comment

it's interesting. The roster currently has 24 players, with three goalies and nine D and 12 forwards. You have to figure one of the D gets cut, and possibly one of the goaltenders. Do you go with two or three goalies? Bringing 9 D seems excessive. I might bring just 7 if I were the coach, figuring you dress six and have one in reserve. I understand adding two players. Certainly Skarupa plays well with Carpenter, and it could be nice to have that chemistry. I was surprised that both Skarupa and Kelli Stack didn't make the initial list.
              "So life's a *****. What do you want to do, cry about it? " - Kara "Starbuck" Thrace

"Wanna go get sugared up on mochas?" - Willow Rosenberg

Check my website. College hockey; it's what it's all about!

Comment

What on earth is USA Hockey doing? .... What do you guys think of this approach?
                A. Maybe trying to send a motivational message to everyone on the roster, that no one is safe?

--- OR ---

B. Just making doubly sure that they will have the very best team possible for when the games begin?

--- OR ---

C. All of the above?
                Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Lots of good feedback. Agree it’s about a desire to have the best team on the ice in february, and yes they should do whatever they think they need to do to make that happen. As for the three cuts, I don’t think any will be goalies, carrying three seems pretty standard.

I am surprised by the move because it is contrary to the process Reagan Carey laid out in September - they wanted no distractions of cuts, they wanted to be a tight knit bonded group. She said they went to Tampa in part so they could all live together and train together, even more so than previous residencies. When the Barnes call up happened, It surprised me but I didn’t think there would be more. Surprise cuts seem like even more of a distraction than planned ones.

Should the girls really need another shake up already? I wouldn’t think so. One can only guess, but I have to think the leadership is regretting some of their choices made months ago, or there are injuries we don’t know about. I don’t think leadership would tout the need and benefit of residency, only to have a secret plan to bring in girls late in the process on two occasions and only have a partial residency.

Anyway, lots of drama and fun to follow. I am reminded of Canada and their mid December coaching change four years ago. Looking forward to watching Canada and USA play next week, pretty sure it’s on tv.
                  Last edited by Lindsay; 11-27-2017, 05:22 PM.

Comment

Needing to add three players this late in the game gives one the impression that USA Hockey has no idea what it is doing. If there is value in centralizing a roster, then why not centralize everyone that might wind up on the Olympic roster? It smacks of trial and error. I'd be fine with the Reagan Carey era coming to a close in the near future.
                    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

• Originally posted by ARM View Post
                      Needing to add three players this late in the game gives one the impression that USA Hockey has no idea what it is doing. If there is value in centralizing a roster, then why not centralize everyone that might wind up on the Olympic roster? It smacks of trial and error. I'd be fine with the Reagan Carey era coming to a close in the near future.
                      The whole situation seems very peculiar. Let's hope there's more to this than meets the eye and that there are legitimate reasons for these moves/decisions. You would hope that it's not just a case of Stauber showing one aspect of his weird goalie personality.

Comment

Has anybody seen the document that describes the selection process for 2018?

In 2014 there was such a document, and if I remember correctly, players were selected for development (my assumption: the result being the addition of Dunne & Pankowski) as well as putting the best team on the ice. If I also remember correctly it consisted of the head coach, Carey, and I can’t remember for sure if there was one more person or not. Obviously, when you have a committee selecting the team there can be disagreement and failure to reach a true consensus. Ultimately, the coach has to have the team they want, or else why are they the coach? So you’d think ultimately the coach has the biggest voice.

It should be pretty apparent that last time the coach got the team she wanted, but it wasn’t the team she needed. So this time, did Carey stick harder by her opinion of what constitutes the best team or did she once again let the coach have his way if there wasn’t consensus on any choice (I don’t believe for a second she believed some of Stones choices were the best players available, do you?)? Likely, they are the only ones who know. But it would be a good guess that this is the result of whatever occurred back when the team was selected. For sure those last few roster choices are difficult, the difference in total skill and talent razor thin, more a difference of subtly, what one player may bring in a given situation compared to another.

On the other hand, given how the Olympic hockey teams more resemble a clique of girls in HS, a slumber party, and a soap opera rather than a sports team most of us are familiar with, maybe they feel the need to do a little house cleaning.

In the end I really don’t care, the Olympic gold medal for women’s ice hockey is the biggest joke in the Olympics and the Olympics themselves have devolved into the biggest joke in sports, it's makes the NCAA look like a bunch of choir boys and girl scouts.

Comment

lol

Anyway WOO HALEY
                          Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
                          Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
                          Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
                            On the other hand, given how the Olympic hockey teams more resemble a clique of girls in HS, a slumber party, and a soap opera rather than a sports team most of us are familiar with, maybe they feel the need to do a little house cleaning.

In the end I really don’t care, the Olympic gold medal for women’s ice hockey is the biggest joke in the Olympics and the Olympics themselves have devolved into the biggest joke in sports, it's makes the NCAA look like a bunch of choir boys and girl scouts.
                            Wow, what a naïve, sour grapes comment. Not so sure that your characterization of the National team as a clique or a slumber party flies on any level. The process is broken, but the women, no matter how they get there, sacrifice a great deal trying to achieve a Gold. You must not know any of them or are blinded by your own issues.

Comment

Originally posted by twointhebox View Post
                              Wow, what a naïve, sour grapes comment. Not so sure that your characterization of the National team as a clique or a slumber party flies on any level. The process is broken, but the women, no matter how they get there, sacrifice a great deal trying to achieve a Gold. You must not know any of them or are blinded by your own issues.
                              You're new-ish here I see. Pokechecker is our resident forum troll and most of us just kind of ignore him when he goes off on one of his inflammatory posts. He's just trying to get a rise out of people.

Welcome to the joys of the USCHO Fan Forum!

EDIT: Actually you've been around a long time apparently, you just don't post often. I promise you that pokechecker is not worth coming out of lurk mode
                              Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
                              Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
                              Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Originally posted by twointhebox View Post
                                two in the box

that seems to be part of the problem

Comment

Working...
                                X