Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RIT Tigers 2017 / 2018. Is time to go out and capture some prey!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: RIT Tigers 2017 / 2018. Is time to go out and capture some prey!

Originally posted by RIT Winters View Post
    I'm sure having not won our homecoming game since 2011 is probably finally starting to hurt interest. Last year the game "sold out" but had a ton of empty seats so it was clear RIT just bought them up to say it sold out. Guess this year they didn't want to buy 2000 tix.
    I don't believe RIT bought up tickets (to their own event?). That would be a bit odd.
    I do believe that there were sections set aside for the visiting teams in the past. Since fans of the teams we have been playing aren't likely to travel to play against an AHC team, regardless of the arena, and they all have D-I football teams playing the same day, those seats didn't sell at all.
    I do think this year's crowd was much smaller than any of those games. Nowhere near being sold out.
    Having not won this game recently plays a part, I'm sure. The fact that last year's team had such a disappointing finish didn't help much, either.
    Maybe they need another FF run to bump the interest in the team back to 2010 - 2011 levels
    Can't we all just get along?
    Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
      I bought at the door the last time we played there (Black Friday 2012 IIRC so it was Ritter), but I bought them early in the day, I guess the game sold out (even though it didn't look like it, maybe because of the break), and considering I have to be in upstate NY in the beginning of the day and head to WNY for the game later, I didn't want to take any chances. It's good to know about how attendance is at the new place in case we end up making this matchup a bit of a regular occurrence, especially with y'all now in the Liberty League for other sports.
      Ritter tickets were much tougher to find, even when the students were on break. The GPC hasn't sold out more than a few times in its history to date. It's nice to have all the freedom knowing tickets are usually available. It would, however, also be nice to go back to having a full barn more often, especially when playing bigger OOC opponents or important / playoff conference games.

p.s. I remember that Black Friday (2011, actually) game because I had to leave town suddenly (death in family) that week, so my wife had to go to Ritter without me. We're probably better off that way, especially since the wrong team won
      Unfortunately, she brought one of her fellow RPI alum friends with her and they weren't impressed at all with the "infamous" Ritter Arena crowd. I had to explain that for the most part, the students make all the difference.
      Last edited by TigerFan86-87; 10-18-2017, 12:36 PM.
      Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

Here's a fun game. See how many factual errors you can spot in the third paragraph of this article: http://www.democratandchronicle.com/...ern/762826001/

(Fun fact: there was another error, in the second paragraph, in the print version, but it appears to have been fixed online.)

Powers &8^]

Comment

Originally posted by TigerFan86-87 View Post
          The GPC hasn't sold out more than a few times in its history to date.
          I'm pretty sure it hasn't sold out at all. The highest attendance I found was 2/1/15 at 3695, with a capacity of 4300 for hockey.

http://www.collegehockeystats.net/14...s/mritrmu1.f21
          Atlantic Hockey Composite schedule: www.tinyurl.com/AHAcomp2
          College Hockey America (Women) Composite Schedule: www.tinyurl.com/CHAWcomp

RIT Tigers
          Men's Atlantic Hockey Champions 2010 2015 2016
          Men's Frozen Four 2010
          Women's College Hockey America Champions 2014 2015
          Women's DIII National Champions 2012

Comment

Originally posted by mar7967 View Post
            I'm pretty sure it hasn't sold out at all. The highest attendance I found was 2/1/15 at 3695, with a capacity of 4300 for hockey.

http://www.collegehockeystats.net/14...s/mritrmu1.f21
            To my recollection, it sold out once when your president put the challenge on that he would dye his hair orange if it sold out.
            Russell Jaslow
            [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
            U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
              To my recollection, it sold out once when your president put the challenge on that he would dye his hair orange if it sold out.
              My apologies, you are correct. 10/24/15 against Colgate - not sure how I missed it. http://collegehockeystats.net/1516/boxes/mclgrit1.o24

Reporter article: https://reporter.rit.edu/sports/oran...r-destler-dare

RIT Tigers
              Men's Frozen Four 2010

Comment

I don't believe RIT bought up tickets (to their own event?). That would be a bit odd.
                I do believe that there were sections set aside for the visiting teams in the past. Since fans of the teams we have been playing aren't likely to travel to play against an AHC team, regardless of the arena, and they all have D-I football teams playing the same day, those seats didn't sell at all.
                I do think this year's crowd was much smaller than any of those games. Nowhere near being sold out.
                Having not won this game recently plays a part, I'm sure. The fact that last year's team had such a disappointing finish didn't help much, either.
                Maybe they need another FF run to bump the interest in the team back to 2010 - 2011 levels
                RIT absolutely does buy and sell tickets to itself. Any of the games where they welcome various RIT groups to the game (such as KGCOE staff, or GCCIS faculty) all of their seats were purchased by those departments from the box office via chargeback. It's a shell game. I don't know why homecoming would be any different...and if you were in the building last year you'd know their claim of a sellout were completely laughable.
                Last edited by RIT Winters; 10-18-2017, 03:18 PM.
                RIT

Comment

Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
                  Here's a fun game. See how many factual errors you can spot in the third paragraph of this article: http://www.democratandchronicle.com/...ern/762826001/

(Fun fact: there was another error, in the second paragraph, in the print version, but it appears to have been fixed online.)

Powers &8^]
                  Some of us already took that article to task on another forum. But hey at least we got some print...
                  Course, That's Just my Opinion, I Could Be Wrong.

Thomas M. Naeger
                  The Mule
                  Rochester Institute of Technology '03

"Good Judgment comes from experience, experience comes from Bad Judgment"

"If we play our game, there's pretty much no chance they have of beating us. We know what we have to do. It's just a matter of going out and doing it." - Brent Alexin

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Naeger View Post
                    Some of us already took that article to task on another forum. But hey at least we got some print...
                    The D&C hockey coverage went to h$ll when they let Kevin O. go.
                    Russell Jaslow
                    [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                    U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by RIT Winters View Post
                      RIT absolutely does buy and sell tickets to itself. Any of the games where they welcome various RIT groups to the game (such as KGCOE staff, or GCCIS faculty) all of their seats were purchased by those departments from the box office via chargeback. It's a shell game.
                      That's not the type of thing we're talking about here. Those types of organizations function relatively independently of one another and finance their activities on their own, for the most part. We all know how frustratingly silo-ed university departments are (at least at RIT). Even within the same building you sometimes have to go to multiple offices to get answers to questions because none of the departments ever communicate with one another. I believe that it truly isn't a shell game in cases like this.
                      I was referring to RIT Hockey, the GPC, and / or the RIT athletic department purchasing tickets (that are not going to be used) to their own game just for the sake of calling it a sellout. I find that somewhat unlikely. What would they stand to gain from that, aside from potential slight increase in advertising revenue (if any at all)?

Comment

That's not the type of thing we're talking about here. Those types of organizations function relatively independently of one another and finance their activities on their own, for the most part. We all know how frustratingly silo-ed university departments are (at least at RIT). Even within the same building you sometimes have to go to multiple offices to get answers to questions because none of the departments ever communicate with one another. I believe that it truly isn't a shell game in cases like this.
                        I was referring to RIT Hockey, the GPC, and / or the RIT athletic department purchasing tickets (that are not going to be used) to their own game just for the sake of calling it a sellout. I find that somewhat unlikely. What would they stand to gain from that, aside from potential slight increase in advertising revenue (if any at all)?
                        I could see it happening. They get to call it a sellout, list attendance as 10,556, and keep the streak of sellouts alive, if they were close to selling out.

RIT Tigers
                        Men's Frozen Four 2010

Comment

Bad news for the Tigers- Per Coach Wilson in the Sportszone Preshow, Brady Norrish tore his ACL again in practice this week and is out, may not be back.

RIT Tigers
                          Men's Frozen Four 2010

Comment

Barring injury, this may be Short's last Tiger appearance. He's been behind the play from the opening faceoff. Beat clean on the 1st, a truly horrendous 2nd, and certainly a stoppable 3rd, and a little fortunate it's not worse. Night and day in terms of reading the play and tracking the puck compared to Drackett last weekend. I'm honestly surprised they didn't pull him at the time out.

Comment

Originally posted by blazer777
                              And the rest of the teams play is stellar? I don't think so!
                              The radio guys assert Short isn't getting much help. They played great in front of Drackett -- very few quality looks for Northeastern.

Powers &8^]

Comment

Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
                                The radio guys assert Short isn't getting much help. They played great in front of Drackett -- very few quality looks for Northeastern.
                                Powers &8^]
                                Watching the stream in the first period, lot's of mishandled pucks and turnovers in the tiger zone.

That's tough on any goalie
                                RIT Tigers

Got one foot in the crease

Comment

Working...
                                X