NY public colleges free tuition for in-state residents legislation impact

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NY public colleges free tuition for in-state residents legislation impact

I'm curious to see how much of an impact this will have the on the Division III athletics landscape and more close to home hockey.

Looking at Plattsburgh and Oswego's rosters, they have five and three New Yorkers respectively currently.

I have to imagine these numbers will pick up if this legislation goes into effect and will allow in-state residents to attend public colleges for free tuition.

I don't have the exact numbers in front of me, but I'm pretty sure New York is top five now if not higher for participation in hockey at the youth levels. If I'm a stud player from New York and not going Division I or have a chance at 3rd/4th line role there, why not go D-III to Plattsburgh and Oswego and potentially be a stud and get free tuition...
    The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
    "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
    GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
    GO LAKERS!!!
    GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
    "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
    Oswego State '09

Re: NY public colleges free tuition for in-state residents legislation impact

That is good and all, but when are they going to refund my tuition money?
    #OneKnight

Comment

Free tuition, yes... but tuition only. Room & Board expenses are not part of the program, which often amounts to a majority of the expense. This is identified as a "scholarship", and only available to families with income under $100,000 (increased to $125,000 by 2019). I have read where there is also 'a catch... "After they graduate, students who received the scholarship must live and work in New York for the same number of years they received funding. If they leave the state, their scholarship will be converted to a loan."

It is certainly an attractive program, to knock-out a good 'chunk' of the education expenses, but as the parent of a child about to embark on his college years, the program is just too new to consider at this time... we're going in to some BIG TIME debt, with the hope that it will pay-off in his favor, with no limitations on his post-graduate opportunities.

Yeah, I know none of that was hockey-related, but it does add some detail to the picture.

Cheers!!!
      ~TTF
      Dave
      RIT - '90

Comment

I want a 3 yr refund............I think it will help with recruitment for sure for the SUNY teams.

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
          I'm curious to see how much of an impact this will have the on the Division III athletics landscape and more close to home hockey.

Looking at Plattsburgh and Oswego's rosters, they have five and three New Yorkers respectively currently.

I have to imagine these numbers will pick up if this legislation goes into effect and will allow in-state residents to attend public colleges for free tuition.

I don't have the exact numbers in front of me, but I'm pretty sure New York is top five now if not higher for participation in hockey at the youth levels. If I'm a stud player from New York and not going Division I or have a chance at 3rd/4th line role there, why not go D-III to Plattsburgh and Oswego and potentially be a stud and get free tuition...
          Or any other SUNYAC school. P&O are not for everyone.
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids
          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Impact?

... why not go D-III to Plattsburgh and Oswego and potentially be a stud and get free tuition...
            I would tend to think that the Brockports, Buffalos, Fredonias, Mo'villes and Potsdams would benefit more than Oswego and Plattsburgh who historically have already gotten better players.

Big Caveat ... The impending Trumpian cuts to Medicaid and the Block Grant programs may eat up the funds that Cuomo had earmarked for this program.

Comment

The fine print to the legislation says that students receiving free tuition must stay in NY for at least 5 years after graduating and if they don't they need to reimburses NY for the "free" tuition received.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Hutter View Post
                The fine print to the legislation says that students receiving free tuition must stay in NY for at least 5 years after graduating and if they don't they need to reimburses NY for the "free" tuition received.
                yes true, would love to see them running around the world trying to get their money

Comment

Originally posted by bakdraft21 View Post
                  yes true, would love to see them running around the world trying to get their money
                  I'm guessing the paperwork you sign will be setup as a loan. Then, if you stay in NYS, the loan debt is waived. If not, then you have to pay off the loan just like any other loan.

And when you have a loan to pay off, they always find you!
                  Russell Jaslow
                  [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                  U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by bakdraft21 View Post
                    Well, you have to be a New York resident to be eligible, so they already have a good place to start looking for you...
                    Steve
                    Penn State Class of '95
                    Plattsburgh State Class of '99

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

Comment

Originally posted by spwood View Post
                      Well, you have to be a New York resident to be eligible, so they already have a good place to start looking for you...
                      What's the requirement for residency? If college kids can vote in the college town's elections, I'd say that is a bona fide case of residency.

So Joe from Pittsburgh attends Geneseo, how soon can he declare residency and skip tuition?
                      CCT '77 & '78
                      4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                        What's the requirement for residency? If college kids can vote in the college town's elections, I'd say that is a bona fide case of residency.

So Joe from Pittsburgh attends Geneseo, how soon can he declare residency and skip tuition?
                        Trust me, that doesn't count.

For in-state tuition, it's a lot more difficult to establish residency. And you need to do it like a year in advance and it's based on who your guardians are. Which is why some people will switch out their guardians from their parents (to like an Aunt and Uncle) it they are trying to pull this sort of thing.
                        Russell Jaslow

Comment

The details are still somewhat sketchy and the Gov's math needs work - in a meeting it came up that the plan is a grand short per student...don't know if they are gonna fix it...local campuses may have to cover....
                          LakerEagleLover

I support tuition payments past...

Comment

A closer look at the Excelsior scholarship.

http://www.watertowndailytimes.com/o...&template=mwdt
                            CCT '77 & '78
                            4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                              A closer look at the Excelsior scholarship.

http://www.watertowndailytimes.com/o...&template=mwdt
                              What? Cuomo exaggerated? Nah. Can't be..........
                              Russell Jaslow

Comment

Working...
                              X