This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Movies: New Ideas Welcome II Prequel Reboot

Bill and the Batman...a documentary about how Bill Finger was completely screwed out of his title as co-creator (and honestly true creator...Bob Kane came up with the name only) of Batman. So awesome and will make you hate Bob Kane. Some people (Kane and it isnt popular but I feel Stan Lee is the same way) are just ego maniacs who make no bones about stepping on anyone to get what they deserve. Comics was such a shady business and many talented people like Finger died pennyless and unknown.

One dude researching a book lead to a massive shift in the history of DC Comics, Batman and the Finger family...amazing!

A+!
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

I have never seen Idiocracy. With that in mind, I picked up today out of a bargain bin, and will watch it Sunday night.
      Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
      "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
      Patreon for exclusive writing content
      Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
        I have never seen Idiocracy. With that in mind, I picked up today out of a bargain bin, and will watch it Sunday night.
        It's a good documentary.
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
          It's a good documentary.

“Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Place Beyond the Pines was totally unexpected and awesome.

I've never seen a movie where the entire lead role was handed off abruptly in the middle of a movie. It was a shock to the viewing experience. I saw it had Gosling and Cooper and thought "This looks like it could be awesome. I'd love to see them on the screen together." Well, the 30 seconds they were on together was ok.

It reminded me of Drive. Both because of Gosling and the story. I recommend watching it before reading the white.
            Code:
            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
            Originally posted by SanTropez
            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
            Originally posted by Kepler
            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
              Place Beyond the Pines was totally unexpected and awesome.

I've never seen a movie where the entire lead role was handed off abruptly in the middle of a movie. It was a shock to the viewing experience. I saw it had Gosling and Cooper and thought "This looks like it could be awesome. I'd love to see them on the screen together." Well, the 30 seconds they were on together was ok.

It reminded me of Drive. Both because of Gosling and the story. I recommend watching it before reading the white.
              Agreed. (and Drive was also awesome)
              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Guardians 2. En blanc:

A big comedown from the first one. The first 20 minutes, final 10 minutes, and the opening and closing credits are terrific. The rest is just a boring series of lazy explosions. It held so little of my interest that I fell asleep more than once.

The opening credits are among the best ever done, and the best for a comic book movie, better even than Deadpool or the brilliant opening credits of Watchmen.

On the whole a disappointment, given how amazing the first one was. B minus.
                Last edited by Kepler; 05-20-2017, 05:26 PM.
                Cornell University
                National Champion 1967, 1970
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Gold

Starring Matt McC as a mining prospector who gets investors' money for a big gold find in Indonesia. Problem is, there's no gold.

Fascinating story based on true events, and Matt McC delivers. He simultaneously looks/acts like a total schlub AND a total con-artist. There's the fun part. Which one is he? Definitely recommend.

Comment

37 years ago, Empire Strikes Back was released.

Randal: What did you like better, "Empire" or "Jedi?"
                    Dante: Empire.
                    Randal: Blasphemy.
                    Dante: ...it ends on such a down note. That's all life is, is a series of down endings.
                    Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                    "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                    Patreon for exclusive writing content
                    Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Today Zack Snyder stepped down from finishing Justice League...

"The filmmaker's daughter died by suicide in March, prompting him to take a break from work and hire Joss Whedon to finish the Warner Bros. superhero pic: "I’ve decided to take a step back from the movie to be with my family, be with my kids, who really need me."

Now leaving out what people think about his movies it is pretty amazing that he has worked this entire time since the suicide editing Justice League and helping promote Wonder Woman. As Wonder Woman is getting praised many critics were ripping him to shreds and he took it all with a smile. (last week he was in China at their WW event and never let on) Whedon signed on with WB to make Batgirl and when Zack decided the movie needed a few more scenes had Joss write them and now that he has decided to step down asked Joss to finish the movie for him. (mainly film the extra scenes he wrote and help edit it)

To be able to do that...especially when half the internet wants to kill you daily because you made a movie they dont like (seriously the hate the man gets is ridiculous and I am not even a big fan of his) and to be willing to give up the film and let a friend take it over (who will get pretty much all the credit if it is good) because you dont want to push it back and want the fans to see it...and to help your friend promote her movie is worthy of tons of respect irregardless of how you feel about him as a film maker.
                      "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                      -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                      -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                        Today Zack Snyder stepped down from finishing Justice League...

"The filmmaker's daughter died by suicide in March, prompting him to take a break from work and hire Joss Whedon to finish the Warner Bros. superhero pic: "I’ve decided to take a step back from the movie to be with my family, be with my kids, who really need me."

Now leaving out what people think about his movies it is pretty amazing that he has worked this entire time since the suicide editing Justice League and helping promote Wonder Woman. As Wonder Woman is getting praised many critics were ripping him to shreds and he took it all with a smile. (last week he was in China at their WW event and never let on) Whedon signed on with WB to make Batgirl and when Zack decided the movie needed a few more scenes had Joss write them and now that he has decided to step down asked Joss to finish the movie for him. (mainly film the extra scenes he wrote and help edit it)

To be able to do that...especially when half the internet wants to kill you daily because you made a movie they dont like (seriously the hate the man gets is ridiculous and I am not even a big fan of his) and to be willing to give up the film and let a friend take it over (who will get pretty much all the credit if it is good) because you dont want to push it back and want the fans to see it...and to help your friend promote her movie is worthy of tons of respect irregardless of how you feel about him as a film maker.
                        Agreed. Thoughts are with him.

Bodyguards: Secret Lives from the Watchtower

An average documentary about what are required for bodyguards, what they have to deal with, etc. Covers 5 bodyguards/organizations, everything from Justin Beiber's crew to Shadow Company who are in war zones. Not too much new knowledge, but somewhat interesting nonetheless. Time-killer, IMO.

Comment

Becoming Bond

Hulu has a great documentary about George Lazenby, narrated by George, and sprinkled with re-inactments, setting up how George buffaloed his way from being a humble mechanic in Homeland Australia to becoming the next big film star, and then walking away from it all.

The yarn George spins seems to be fanciful, but he was living a life similar to James Bond long before being cast as Sean Connery's replacement.

It was a fun hour and a half, and it does answer the long time question: just why did he give it all up.

And yes, he has regrets, but not what you think they would be.

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

The irritating thing is Her Majesty's Secret Service is one of the best Bond movies ever made. Moore was fun but I'd have loved to see another couple with Lazenby instead of Roger and definitely instead of Connery 2, which was about as successful as Bonilla 2. Lazenby could have been the more cerebral Bond that we had to wait for Craig to get.

Edit: good lord, I just killed Tinkerbell!
                            Last edited by Kepler; 05-23-2017, 08:52 AM.
                            Cornell University
                            National Champion 1967, 1970
                            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

If I remember what I've read correctly...
                              (Side note, I can remember bullsh** like this, but not specifications for my job, and even then the useless knowlege would only help me lose at Jeopardy.)
                              ... When they begged Sean Connery to come back in Diamonds are Forever, they wanted to make it more light than Sean's past Bond films, and they wanted it to also be a 180 from the serious tone Lazenby's Bond was.

It took a few years, but I absolutely agree that OHMSS is one of the best Bond films made.

When watching the marathons on TV, I skip DaF and all of the Moore films.

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

The only ones I like are the new ones and Goldeneye. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know.
                                Code:
                                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                                Originally posted by SanTropez
                                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                                Originally posted by Kepler
                                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Working...
                                X