X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Travel Part 3: Destination Unknown

Originally posted by burd View Post
    I wish I had made a point of studying the history of the areas that were so critical to the start of WWI, from the Bulgaria and the Balkans up to to Germany and Austria-Hungary. Wonderfully complex politically and culturally and some beautiful country. Want to travel that part of the world some day. Only plans now are Metigoshe, NoDak--a close second.
    This is a good book.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/0195386647/ref=rdr_ext_tmb

My father-in-law was a HS English teach (Benilde - St. Margaret's for those of you in MSP) and Lonnie Johnson was probably his favorite student. They became extremely close friends and stayed in close contact right up until my FIL passed. I've read parts of it and it's a good history of the region.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
    And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
    Twenty red lights in his honor
    Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

Thx.

Comment

My flight to Amsterdam tonight got cancelled and KLM rebooked my entire trip to Scotland. Instead of getting in at 850 AM I’m getting in at 1:30 PM.

When I got the notification it was cancelled, I also got a notification that thy auto-rebooked me. Fine. I saw they had space on a flight that would get me there at 10 AM. I get up to the counter and those mother ****ers tell me that I can’t rebook because I rebooked my flight. I asked them if I could pay the difference for another flight and they said no.

I’m going to miss my distillery tour and now I basically have enough time to check into my hotel and leave the following morning

I’m already pretty upset and this threw me into rage mode. I was polite but I’m pretty sure I almost had a stroke during the interaction. I’m out so much money because of this.
        Code:
        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
        Originally posted by SanTropez
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
        Originally posted by Kepler
        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Air France and KLM can eat a bag of dicks.

I’ve never had as bad of an experience dealing with an airline like this. Beyond the f-ckery they pulled yesterday, today at the check in counter, they decided to have five agents get up and leave all at the same time when I got to the front leaving just the sky priority line open. It took 45 minutes to check in in a five-minute line. Plus their stupid automatic checkin lines are useless. You still need to talk to someone at the counter. What’s the point
          Last edited by dxmnkd316; 06-08-2018, 11:40 PM.
          Code:
          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
            Air France and KLM can eat a bag of dicks.

I’ve never had as bad of an experience dealing with an airline like this. Beyond the f-ckery they pulled yesterday, today at the check in counter, they decided to have five agents get up and leave all at the same time when I got to the front leaving just the sky priority line open. It took 45 minutes to check in in a five-minute line. Plus their stupid automatic checkin lines are useless. You still need to talk to someone at the counter. What’s the point
            Isn't AF threatening a strike right now?

Comment

Maybe. I wasn’t aware.

But then again, our work’s travel service had been sending out all sorts of notices with various strikes. Trains, metros, busses. Wouldn’t surprise me if the airline workers were striking. Every city but Wrocław, Munich, and Ach have had strikes for transportation workers.
              Last edited by dxmnkd316; 06-09-2018, 12:10 AM.
              Code:

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                Isn't AF threatening a strike right now?
                Maybe. I know French ATC is, which could play a role.
                Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                Originally posted by Quizmire
                mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Now we’re boarded and just got delayed 25 minutes because of fog.

Thank god I signed up for Spotify premium before this trip and downloaded about 2 gigs of music. Because I’m about ready to cut someone.
                  Code:

Comment

Thank god I signed up for Spotify premium before this trip and downloaded about 2 gigs of music. Because I’m about ready to cut someone.
                    You wouldn't like him when he's angry...
                    Cornell University
                    National Champion 1967, 1970
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

Sorry dude. I’ve been through there a million times with virtually zero issues

Comment

So I have an amazing story. Here’s the semi tl;dr version.

Flight cancelled. Story above. Get stuck in a sh-t hotel. Have an ok meal but work “decided” to pay for a couple scotches at the hotel. So back to a 6/10.

Wake up at 430. Flight gets delayed. Twice. 8/10. Get over Paris and circle for 30. 8.75/10.

Can’t find gate because CDG sucks as labeling. 9/10. Flight delayed twice. Again. 9.25/10.

Get to car rental and their systems are fubar. 9/10 (they were awesome so I was laughing a lot). Still get out of there when my tour was supposed to start.

Race at breakneck speed from Aberdeen to Dufftown. 7/10. Lovely drive. The speed limits are seriously for your safety FYI.

Get to my B&B and my host hears I’m looking to go on a tour. She drives me in her personal car to get to the final regular tour of the day. 4/10.

Talk to front desk and the boss gets me latched onto my tour in the exclusive warehouse (the aroma may be literally intoxicating). So I’m thrilled. Then we get to do a four-person tasting. And we get to blend our own whiskey and bottle it. I can’t even remember my problems at this point.

I get up to the shop and after five minutes the tour guide walks in and says, “come with me.” I’m almost giddy.

I get a private tour of the distillery. He tells me I’ve come so far and had a rough flight so he personally walks me through.

I’m at a loss for words at how well I’ve been treated in Scotland. Not a single person has been anything short of wonderful.
                        Code:

Comment

Scotland is rather neat, indeed.
                          a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Glad things ended up working out for you, dx. Heck, sounds like it worked out BETTER than originally expected, in hindsight.

Comment

Thanks!

I really think you’re right. I need to take a deep breath more often. Things will work out.
                              Code:

Comment

Thanks!

I really think you’re right. I need to take a deep breath more often. Things will work out.
                                Really glad it's going so well now. It will probably change your memory of the whole trip.

Comment

Working...
                                X