X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UMaine Black Bears, 2017-2018, reds last stand part 2

Originally posted by AMC View Post
    A Georgia alum friend of mine asked what the most devastated I have ever been after a sporting event was, obviously I thought about the 2004 title game.

Like a masochist, I pulled up the highlights on youtube. You will NEVER convince me that Damon's goal was anything but legitimate.
    Any part of of a skate in the crease would negate the goal back then... It was the right call under the existing rules, but, yeah, it did suck just the same. The Minnesota gift is my worst memory. The Minny goalie had a slash go uncalled right after Schutte was whistled. Home-cookin' at its finest.

To this season, why play Rob when you can play Swayman right now? I just don't get it. Maine has a decent record but v. a lousy SOS, and the SOS ain't getting a whole lot better. They need to scratch and claw for every win they can get, and Swayman is absolutely the lynch-pin for any chance of a PW berth.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
      Any part of of a skate in the crease would negate the goal back then... It was the right call under the existing rules, but, yeah, it did suck just the same. The Minnesota gift is my worst memory. The Minny goalie had a slash go uncalled right after Schutte was whistled. Home-cookin' at its finest.

To this season, why play Rob when you can play Swayman right now? I just don't get it. Maine has a decent record but v. a lousy SOS, and the SOS ain't getting a whole lot better. They need to scratch and claw for every win they can get, and Swayman is absolutely the lynch-pin for any chance of a PW berth.
      Well Rob was great when Sway was away and with the heavy travel back from Buffalo I think it made sense to throw Rob Monday's game, results not withstanding. Sway should play 75% (or more) of the games the rest of the way though.

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
      43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
      104-47-14 (.669) in that time
      3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

Originally posted by BlackI View Post
        That was bad. For me the loss in OT in Minnesota was the worst. I thought Metcalf was going to will that team to a win...
        2002 is an easy call for me, to get that close and not finish it off still stings.

2004 sucked, but I think we all knew with how that team was built that game was going to be a 1-0 or 2-1 slugfest that could have gone either way.

Comment

Saturday's game at Northeastern has been changed to 5PM for some reason.

Maine is 19th in PWR, .0001 behind BC.

Comment

• Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
            They moved the time so as not to conflict with the Patriots game against the Titans.

Comment

Originally posted by amkirby10 View Post
              They moved the time so as not to conflict with the Patriots game against the Titans.
              You don't say...

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post

Maine is 19th in PWR, .0001 behind BC.
                I think the NU video is free, correct? What a great sports day! Imagine how good I'll be feeling when my favorite hockey team sweeps and my favorite football team wins by 20 points. 😁 I'm gonna have to lock myself from any posting. No doubt I'll post crazy YouTube songs... maybe even something with bagpipes in it. 😂

Comment

• Originally posted by BlackI View Post
                  I think the NU video is free, correct? What a great sports day! Imagine how good I'll be feeling when my favorite hockey team sweeps and my favorite football team wins by 20 points. 😁 I'm gonna have to lock myself from any posting. No doubt I'll post crazy YouTube songs... maybe even something with bagpipes in it. 😂
                  Yes, it is free and the quality is excellent. I don’t think your posting will be lyrical. The weekend will start poorly, but will end well for you. One out or three is about all you should expect!

Comment

Originally posted by HHound View Post
                    Yes, it is free and the quality is excellent. I don’t think your posting will be lyrical. The weekend will start poorly, but will end well for you. One out or three is about all you should expect!
                    Thank you for checking in and including Maine in "One of the better teams" in your post. Been a long time since Maine was considered as much. Not sure if we've ever cheered our teams on when we were both decent. My wishes are my wishes and I won't apologize for them. Also, I believe we have an outstanding start to a strong future. I am bullish sometimes... doesn't pay too much not to be. 😂

Comment

If Maine wants to be considered in the hunt, then this weekend they need to at least split with NU...tough task on the road, but they have surprised many with they play on the road and again imo they will go as far as Swayman can take them...in that he is making the goaltending position a strong point for Maine.

Comment

Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
                        If Maine wants to be considered in the hunt, then this weekend they need to at least split with NU...tough task on the road, but they have surprised many with they play on the road and again imo they will go as far as Swayman can take them...in that he is making the goaltending position a strong point for Maine.
                        Considering Maine had won two road games in two seasons, I think we would have been alright with any improvement.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                          Any part of of a skate in the crease would negate the goal back then... It was the right call under the existing rules, but, yeah, it did suck just the same.
                          I was sitting in the Loge in that corner. I don't agree that it was the "right" call. Rules don't live in a vacuum. I was a basketball referee for 17 years. We had a "rule book" but there was a "case book" that was just as big which gave examples of how the rules should be interpreted in different situations. You always have to take into account the spirit of the rule and the intent of the player. There was NO WAY that his skate being 1/10000000000 of an inch "in the crease" had ANY effect on that goal. Somebody was either grandstanding or just trying to show off that he knew what the rule was. With that approach, you would never finish a basketball or football game because there would be 20 fouls on every play. On the other hand, not being able to score on a 6 on 3....

Comment

• Originally posted by chickod View Post
                            I was sitting in the Loge in that corner. I don't agree that it was the "right" call. Rules don't live in a vacuum. I was a basketball referee for 17 years. We had a "rule book" but there was a "case book" that was just as big which gave examples of how the rules should be interpreted in different situations. You always have to take into account the spirit of the rule and the intent of the player. There was NO WAY that his skate being 1/10000000000 of an inch "in the crease" had ANY effect on that goal. Somebody was either grandstanding or just trying to show off that he knew what the rule was. With that approach, you would never finish a basketball or football game because there would be 20 fouls on every play. On the other hand, not being able to score on a 6 on 3....
                            The best thing to do would have been not review it in, then there is no issue.
                            Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                            Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
                              As much as I hated the call or rule...it was called all season long.

Comment

BDN: Swayman benefited from world juniors

Comment

Working...
                                X