X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: TV: There She Is, The Old Radiation King

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    You need to watch more high quality TV. Most of the HBO series, and the high quality AMC, or FX series have intro music and sequences. Just to name a few: Game of Thrones, The Leftovers, The Americans, Westworld, Mad Men, Breaking Bad, The Wire.
    American Gods has the most exciting, most intelligent, most disturbing opening in television history. I'm not even the adolescent male the show is aimed at and I still want to run through a brick wall / reproduce / kill myself after watching it.

Here is the full explanation.
    Last edited by Kepler; 12-11-2017, 09:26 AM.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
      American Gods has the most exciting, most intelligent, most disturbing opening in television history. I'm not even the adolescent male the show is aimed at and I still want to run through a brick wall / kill myself after watching it.
      I've seen that, but only once, since I didn't get past episode 1. Watched 1 episode on a free trial, and then didn't sign up for Starz.

I would say that the best of the shows I watch is Westworld. That opening is just perfect for the show.
      Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

I've seen that, but only once, since I didn't get past episode 1. Watched 1 episode on a free trial, and then didn't sign up for Starz.

I would say that the best of the shows I watch is Westworld. That opening is just perfect for the show.
        It is. Westworld is amazing in every way possible, and the opening is sublime.

If you enjoy Westworld I really, really, really encourage you to hang with American Gods. There is stuff about it not to like (like I said, the overheated immaturity surrounding it is off-putting) but (1) they have to pay the bills somehow and a show that is a gift to about 25,000 strange people in the whole country is going to need steerage bookings to break even, and (2) it's a well thought-out show with beautiful mise en scene. As with Gaiman himself half the fun is laughing not with but at his pretentiousness, but for all that it works -- plus he's f-cking Amanda Palmer and we're not so who are we to judge?
        Cornell University
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

It is. Westworld is amazing in every way possible, and the opening is sublime.

If you enjoy Westworld I really, really, really encourage you to hang with American Gods. There is stuff about it not to like (like I said, the overheated immaturity surrounding it is off-putting) but (1) they have to pay the bills somehow and a show that is a gift to about 25,000 strange people in the whole country is going to need steerage bookings to break even, and (2) it's a well thought-out show with beautiful mise en scene. As with Gaiman himself half the fun is laughing not with but at his pretentiousness, but for all that it works -- plus he's f-cking Amanda Palmer and we're not so who are we to judge?
          I will watch American Gods, I'm just waiting for it to show up on Netflix or Prime, so I don't have to pay for Starz.
          Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

I will watch American Gods, I'm just waiting for it to show up on Netflix or Prime, so I don't have to pay for Starz.
            We don't have Starz and we watch it somehow. Prolly Fios PPV. I'll ask Dr. Mrs., she's in charge of that.

Edit: we watch it through Amazon prime.
            Cornell University

Comment

We don't have Starz and we watch it somehow. Prolly Fios PPV. I'll ask Dr. Mrs., she's in charge of that.

Edit: we watch it through Amazon prime.
              We have Prime, but I think that was one that you had to pay for separately through Prime, not included in the regular Prime subscription. If I'm wrong about that, let me know, because I will be able to watch it if it is included in Prime.

I know it isn't that expensive to just pay for it, but I figure we spend enough on this stuff, and as long as there are still shows I want to watch, that I haven't gotten to on Netflix and Prime I'll just keep plugging away at them. I still haven't gotten to the latest seasons of Narcos or Stranger Things, and I didn't watch Mindhunter yet, so I have plenty of stuff on Netflix to watch. I also currently have a Showtime subscription, so I can catch up on shows I've missed there over the last several years. Just caught up on Ray Donovan over the weekend, and might do Homeland next, though I'm dreading Homeland, since the last season I watched was godawful.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

We have Prime, but I think that was one that you had to pay for separately through Prime, not included in the regular Prime subscription. If I'm wrong about that, let me know, because I will be able to watch it if it is included in Prime.
                Dr. Mrs. says it's free with Prime.

I didn't watch Mindhunter yet,
                Oh, ho, ho -- you are in for a treat. Also watch American Vandal if you haven't, on Netflix. It's f-cking brilliant.

We are in the golden age of television. This is the first time in history a massive number of shows have been created and released strictly for smart people. We no longer need to dumb it down to generate the mass audiences we used to. And we no longer have to be politically correct not to offend all the conservative religious / political snowflakes.

I wish we could somehow do the same with politics.
                Last edited by Kepler; 12-11-2017, 10:01 AM.
                Cornell University

Comment

WaPo: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.5e84eb02dce6

Big Little Lies dominates Globes nominations and more importantly it was announced today that it was renewed for a second season.

However, when it’s a critically acclaimed TV show that is also awards bait, there will always be a way. When the network saw the intense response to the first season, HBO asked Moriarty if she would write a new story that involved all the characters. She wound up delivering a “novella,” and David E. Kelley agreed to write another seven episodes. In an interview with Vulture, HBO programming president Casey Bloys swears that they only agreed to continue the show because the new material is on par with the first season.
                  Code:
                  As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                  College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                  BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                  Originally posted by SanTropez
                  May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                  Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                  I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                  Originally posted by Kepler
                  When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                  He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Want to watch American Gods, first fiction book I had read in a LOOOOOOONNNNNNNNG time that I loved. Even liked. But will be patient and catch it on streaming at my convenience.

bbdl: I think you'll like Mindhunter. You loved S1 of True Detective....similar feel to it. Slow, methodical, dark, creepy, intelligent.
                    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

I figure most find The Punisher too slow, but I have stuck with it through episode 8 and I'm really digging it.
                      the state of hockey is good

Comment

Dr. Mrs. says it's free with Prime.
                        She lied. It's PPV with Fios. About $2 an episode. Well worth it IMHO.
                        Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                          One thing I sort of miss in today's television shows compared to those from a few decades ago: a great opening sequence.*
                          The gold standard will always be Game of Thrones. I still believe that would be a far better show if they just looped the opening credits for 50 minutes every week. And to your point, that's probably the only opening that has had any sort of cultural relevance outside of TV since....Friends?(I'm not counting the Law and Order noise) Odds are you'll hear the band play the GoT theme at the next college hockey game you go to. All the other HBO prestige dramas(Deadwood, Wire, Sopranos, Boardwalk) have competent, acceptable opening sequences, but your band isn't playing Tom Waits.

Some of the Netflix openings are great. The opening sequence for Bojack Horseman is incredible. Glow has a cool opening too, though obviously not original music.
                          Originally posted by dicaslover
                          Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
                          Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post
                            The gold standard will always be Game of Thrones. I still believe that would be a far better show if they just looped the opening credits for 50 minutes every week. And to your point, that's probably the only opening that has had any sort of cultural relevance outside of TV since....Friends?(I'm not counting the Law and Order noise) Odds are you'll hear the band play the GoT theme at the next college hockey game you go to. All the other HBO prestige dramas(Deadwood, Wire, Sopranos, Boardwalk) have competent, acceptable opening sequences, but your band isn't playing Tom Waits.

Some of the Netflix openings are great. The opening sequence for Bojack Horseman is incredible. Glow has a cool opening too, though obviously not original music.
                            It might just be a generational thing, but for me the gold standard opening for a television show will always be ABC's Wide World of Sports. The music and voiceover are iconic. And candidly, I just never tired of seeing Vinko Bogataj.
                            That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

"Stranger Things" opening is pretty good and memorable. "House of Cards" too. But neither at the level of older shows, though.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                              iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                              gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                              Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                              Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                              TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                              DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

I was always partial to N.Y.P.D.
                                https://youtu.be/1N7Tg2jaCdw
                                CCT '77 & '78
                                4 kids
                                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Working...
                                X