This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Badgers 2017-2018

“A worker is exploited … if their economic value is greater than their wages.”

Most question what you read on the internet these days as fact, but in reality we are at the point where all media is highly suspect as far as facts go. (I'm trying hard not to say FAKE) According to the article the average fan spent $69 at a NoDak game in 2013, that’s a lot of hot dogs, chips ‘n cheese wiz. He mentions revenue but doesn’t mention expenses, no small item considering every D1 program loses at least a million a year. Even if we assume the Badgers sold out every game and play 20 home games a year, neither of which they actually do, that would only be $300,000 a year. Badgers fans must eat a lot of junk at the games for them to come up with the revenue they are claiming. In the end Knight or any other player hasn’t been exploited, not even hoops of football players. They know exactly what they are signing up for and do so on their free will.

Comment

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
      According to the article the average fan spent $69 at a NoDak game in 2013, that’s a lot of hot dogs, chips ‘n cheese wiz.
      NoDak sells alcohol at games, which increases concessions considerably over those offering only soft drinks.
      "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
      And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Everything that was written was based on a fact, the problem is the analysis is so poor that it's barely worthy of a "D" in a college level class - and that's noteworthy being that the author is a Professor of Economics. It's a classic case of starting with garbage data will end with garbage results.

It's pretty clear he never bothered to even do a cursory examination to make sure they make sense. Even starting at the end, he concluded Knight's "value" was more than 3 times higher than Duggan's - who was second on the list - and yet he didn't bother to look at why Knight was such a huge outlier. That alone should have caused him to notice that UW's "revenue" increased 1000% between 2010 and 2012, and then fell right back down to 2010 levels again in 2013.

You've also got just the logical "back of the napkin" calculations that for North Dakota, like pokechecker mentioned, that it just doesn't make sense that you could make $1.3M in North Dakota based on their attendance of 20,000 fans for the year (That's a lot of beer, even at arena prices!), or even more bluntly, the numbers reported to the Department of Education indicate that ND's womens hockey program generated $2.1M in revenue, and had only $400k in expenses - yet despite those reported numbers claiming a profit of about $1.5M a year they shut down the program claiming annual losses of $2M. Or you've got Minnesota who lead the sport in attendance in 2016, and only reported $400k in revenue, while Minnesota State had just 3,200 fans for the entire season and reported nearly $1M in revenue!

I don't know how or what goes into the numbers, I suspect generic "athletic department" donations make up some of it, or you've got donations that support "ice hockey" that are split evenly for reporting purposes, especially when you've got mens and womens teams sharing facilities. I'd guess that the numbers that Minnesota is providing are probably pretty close to accurate based only on ticket sales and gameday spending (their average reported revenue works out to a little less than $10 per fan per game), which means the calculations for the recent Gopher players - who were all at the bottom of the list, "earning" $36k/year, are about right, and also very much in line of what a full year scholarship is worth.

But I guess that kind of article wouldn't generate much in the way of headlines - so it's just easier to right something that common sense says can't be true, and then sprinkle in the phrase "if the numbers are true" a few times.
        Last edited by Nowheresville; 03-12-2018, 02:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
          Tale of the tape:
          Team D UW 1.19 Colgate 1.67
          Team O Colgate 3.72 UW 3.32
          Penalties UW 6.32 Colgate 8.62
          PP Colgate 21% UW 18%
          PK Colgate 90% UW 89%

Colgate has better special teams and scored more goals, UW has a better D.

While watching a replay of the Colgate-Northeastern game, the guy doing the play-by-play mentioned one noteworthy stat: he said Colgate was the only team in country that had ten players with 20 or more points. I thought "And the Badgers don't?!".

So I looked. Colgate does indeed have ten players with 20 or more points. And Wisconsin only has nine... with two more (Pettit and Rowe) currently sitting at 19 points. Colgate's next two players have 12 and 11 points. So Colgate goes 12 deep in players with double digit points. Wisconsin goes 15 deep in players in double digits.

So, I'm sure his point was 'Colgate goes very deep in offensive firepower', and they certainly do. And UW needs to ready for that. But then, so do the Badgers.

Comment

Originally posted by Nowheresville View Post
            You've also got just the logical "back of the napkin" calculations that for North Dakota, like pokechecker mentioned, that it just doesn't make sense that you could make $1.3M in North Dakota based on their attendance of 20,000 fans for the year (That's a lot of beer, even at arena prices!), or even more bluntly, the numbers reported to the Department of Education indicate that ND's womens hockey program generated $2.1M in revenue, and had only $400k in expenses - yet despite those reported numbers claiming a profit of about $1.5M a year they shut down the program claiming annual losses of $2M. Or you've got Minnesota who lead the sport in attendance in 2016, and only reported $400k in revenue, while Minnesota State had just 3,200 fans for the entire season and reported nearly $1M in revenue!
            I can only comment on the beer consumption, albeit based on a very limited number of games. We've only been to 5 women's hockey games at "The Ralph" and I've never noticed anyone drinking beer and I'm sure I would have in my trips to buy hot chocolate or the trips from the result of those purchases. We've also been to 5 games in Mankato including a trip to 1 game down and back this year. The only beer I saw being consumed was in my own hand this season. It was a can of Kato beer with a picture of perhaps Bruce Lee on it. It wasn't exactly "a knockout" despite what it claimed on the can. The purchase was a nostalgic thing for when we used to have keggers in the remaining site of the old Mankato Brewery in the early 70's. A lot of alcohol consumption to explain the revenue? This is women's hockey after all, it's not exactly a beer drinking crowd (at least not at the arena my wife says I should add).
            Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 03-12-2018, 06:19 PM. Reason: B-Dubs anyone after the game?
            "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

Based on the reported revenue and attendance numbers, Mankato is generating $308 per fan per game! If they're doing that with Beer sales, then what the hell are the Badgers doing selling RC Cola?

Comment

Originally posted by Nowheresville View Post
                Based on the reported revenue and attendance numbers, Mankato is generating $308 per fan per game! If they're doing that with Beer sales, then what the hell are the Badgers doing selling RC Cola?
                The older lady that was selling the beer at the Mankato game we attended this year had a very small cart with maybe 4 different kinds of beer for sale and on display. We were early to the game and so we visited with her for 20 minutes or so. I reminisced with her about my college days there when I was able to buy 50 cent glasses of beer at the Square Deal bar. I mentioned remembering Alan Page walking around campus carrying law books and also seeing Charlie West with a very large snake hung over his shoulders. My Joe Kapp story I kept to myself. I did mention the late Karl Kassulke's motorcycle accident in 1973 which she also sadly remembered. Several other Gopher fans walked by, but no one else bought any beer while we were there. Maybe all the beer sales came from "Wally the Beer Man" walking thru the stands, but I never saw him.
                Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 03-12-2018, 08:10 PM. Reason: The QB really liked his cigars.

Comment

Originally posted by bluffrinkrat View Post
                  The older lady that was selling the beer at the Mankato game we attended this year had a very small cart with maybe 4 different kinds of beer for sale and on display. We were early to the game and so we visited with her for 20 minutes or so. I reminisced with her about my college days there when I was able to buy 50 cent glasses of beer at the Square Deal bar. I mentioned remembering Alan Page walking around campus carrying law books and also seeing Charlie West with a very large snake hung over his shoulders. My Joe Kapp story I kept to myself. I did mention the late Karl Kassulke's motorcycle accident in 1973 which she also sadly remembered. Several other Gopher fans walked by, but no one else bought any beer while we were there. Maybe all the beer sales came from "Wally the Beer Man" walking thru the stands, but I never saw him.
                  but you mentioned his name

if no Badger will step in and tell you to keep your reminiscing in the Gopher thread, I will. Only in MN, the beer man & Joe Kapp, what a bunch of chumps we are

Comment

but you mentioned his name

if no Badger will step in and tell you to keep your reminiscing in the Gopher thread, I will. Only in MN, the beer man & Joe Kapp, what a bunch of chumps we are
                    What says Wisconsin more than beer stories? Hey, Wally is great. He helped me get through a lot of Saint's baseball games. Joe Kapp? Yeah, I shouldn't have mentioned him. He was the beginning to a lot of bad endings in postseason for the Vikings which even Brett Favre couldn't fix.
                    Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 03-13-2018, 08:20 AM. Reason: Pigs Eye beer here!

Comment

Originally posted by bluffrinkrat View Post
                      What says Wisconsin more than beer stories? Hey, Wally is great. He helped me get through a lot of Saint's baseball games. Joe Kapp? Yeah, I shouldn't have mentioned him. He was the beginning to a lot of bad endings in postseason for the Vikings which even Brett Favre couldn't fix.
                      Well yeah, but those are all MN beer, or more precisely cheap St. Paul beer
                      Really only worth drinking if you wanted a good puke

WI has Bart Star
                      MN has Joe Kapp
                      They have Brett Favre the SB winner
                      We have Brett Farve the loser
                      They have the Swedish bikini team
                      We have Wally the beer man
                      ‘nuff said

Comment

Well yeah, but those are all MN beer, or more precisely cheap St. Paul beer
                        Really only worth drinking if you wanted a good puke

WI has Bart Star
                        MN has Joe Kapp
                        They have Brett Favre the SB winner
                        We have Brett Farve the loser
                        They have the Swedish bikini team
                        We have Wally the beer man
                        ‘nuff said
                        Hilarious. Also sadly, pathetically true.

Wanted a good puke? Sounds like a college reminiscence to me.
                        Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 03-13-2018, 09:08 AM. Reason: How many World Series have the Brewers won?

Comment

Originally posted by robertearle View Post
                          While watching a replay of the Colgate-Northeastern game.
                          Do you have a thumbnail report? They lost to Clarkson twice recently, they are the gold standard at this point.
                          Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                          Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                          "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                          Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Do you have a thumbnail report? They lost to Clarkson twice recently, they are the gold standard at this point.
                            The last time I offered an opinion about a UW opponent here, I got jumped on pretty hard, so I think I'll pass. But I certainly like Wisconsin's chances on Friday, particularly coming off what we saw last Saturday.

Comment

Originally posted by robertearle View Post
                              The last time I offered an opinion about a UW opponent here, I got jumped on pretty hard, so I think I'll pass. But I certainly like Wisconsin's chances on Friday, particularly coming off what we saw last Saturday.
                              I like UW's chances after last Saturday as well, such a greatly played game, though MN is flawed this year. The Sunday before not so much considering Colgate is a notch above MN in theory. Of course last year I loved UW's chances and they barely squeaked by BC and only scored 1 goal the whole weekend. This team has outperformed most outsider's expectations so far, let's keep it rolling. I am beyond excited to watch the games this weekend.
                              Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                              Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                              Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                              "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                              Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

I like UW's chances after last Saturday as well, such a greatly played game, though MN is flawed this year. The Sunday before not so much considering Colgate is a notch above MN in theory. Of course last year I loved UW's chances and they barely squeaked by BC and only scored 1 goal the whole weekend. This team has outperformed most outsider's expectations so far, let's keep it rolling. I am beyond excited to watch the games this weekend.
                                I never thought MN had a chance at the WCHA tourney. I think WI took the game lightly as it was not as important to them as it was to MN. They corrected that last Saturday. It would be a huge disappointment if they don't hoist the trophy this Sunday. They are too good not to.

Comment

Working...
                                X