Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Medical Thread: We're experts on everything else; why not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Medical Thread: We're experts on everything else; why not?

Originally posted by walrus View Post
    Instead of 1 day fast I do 2 days. Still not cleaned out. I've had many scopes. I will never drink lemon Gatorade again
    Don't people know roughly the "velocity" of their bowels?

I eat corn on the cob and 21-23 hours later, well, yup, I ate corn on the cob yesterday.

If it's longer than that I know I'm not drinking enough water.
    The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
      In the start of this thread I said ...

To make a point, I scheduled and went in.

The prep was no worse than a Saturday night bender with too much Budweiser and Taco Bell.

However, I decided to go "native". Yup. No nothing. Keep your Propofol and Versed*. Pain? No. Uncomfortable? Sure. And before you say, "that's cray-cray", the procedure is done in Europe native more often than not. Sedation is most common in the US and France. I can see France, but I hate to see the US go soft and for the drugs.

* aka: the date rape drug
      One way or t'other glad you got it done.
      A bad cause requires many words.

Comment

However, I decided to go "native". Yup. No nothing. Keep your Propofol and Versed*. Pain? No. Uncomfortable? Sure. And before you say, "that's cray-cray", the procedure is done in Europe native more often than not.
        I wonder if it makes any difference whether they find polyps or not? typically if they find polyps they snip them off right then and there; might that be a different matter than the "discomfort" of the scoping on its own?
        "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

A real challenge to the medical community, and to society in general, is what to do about organic mental illness (e.g., schizophrenia). I'm told by professionals in the field that many schizophrenics, as long as they take their medicine, are not a danger to themselves or others.

Here is a far-too-typical pattern:
          - a schizophrenic is acting in a frightening or disturbing way, gets arrested, then diverted into the mental health system instead of the penal system
          - while hospitalized, s/he is properly medicated and no longer needs to remain in the hospital, as long as s/he keeps taking appropriate doses.
          - once released, s/he decides that s/he is "better" (because of the meds), and so doesn't "need" them any more.
          - s/he goes "off meds" and starts to act in a frightening or disturbing way....
          - cycle and repeat.

Is it appropriate as a condition of their release that they be required to keep taking their meds? Tough issue.

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
            I wonder if it makes any difference whether they find polyps or not? typically if they find polyps they snip them off right then and there; might that be a different matter than the "discomfort" of the scoping on its own?
            The discomfort from a colonoscopy is primarily due to the distension of the bowel by air insufflation. The worse the prep, the more air needed to see ---> more pain. The act of removing the polyp itself is not painful but the operator may need to shoot in more air in order to perform it ---> more pain
            "I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
            Groucho Marx
            "You can't fix stupid. There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. Stupid is forever. "
            Ron White
            "If we stop being offensive, the Terrorists win."
            Milo Bloom

Comment

My doc told me they have to use more air if they find polyps so as to make space for the removal actions. The air was the main discomfort. (And does it feel good to "let it go". )

My sibling (who was hesitant and wanting to avoid) is stuck now: they found three polyps in me.
              The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Don't people know roughly the "velocity" of their bowels?
                First meal after a colonoscopy would provide a data point, no?

I've read that "typically," it is 16-20 hours. As you noted, ingestion of certain particular foods would also provide data points.....

Comment

My doctor diagnosed me with constipation. Got put on Colace and a laxative to get things moving.

I'm hoping that a higher fiber diet will cure this problem so I can get off the meds. So.. avocados, sweet potatoes, winter squash, whole grain bread, steel cut oats, red beans and rice, lentil soup...

And I'm hearing more water to go with this, too.
                  Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                  "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                  Patreon for exclusive writing content
                  Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
                    And I'm hearing more water to go with this, too.
                    I'm surprised that wasn't #1 on the list.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

I'm surprised that wasn't #1 on the list.
                      Yes. My problem is I like to play Drink the Coffee. It's a small miracle that I've cut back to 4 cups a day.

And others have suggested the D word.
                      "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates

Comment

Yes. My problem is I like to play Drink the Coffee. It's a small miracle that I've cut back to 4 cups a day.

And others have suggested the D word.
                        It's either more fiber/water or a trip to Taco Hell at this point.

Comment

It's either more fiber/water or a trip to Taco Hell at this point.
                          Like I said about colonoscopy prep:
                          "... no worse than a Saturday night bender with too much Budweiser and Taco Bell."

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Wow. Just ... wow.
                            They gave the kid a new life without pain.
                            http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/11/0...hole-new-skin/

Next time I skin a knuckle really well when a wrench slips, well, I'll just shut up now.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Like I said about colonoscopy prep:
                              "... no worse than a Saturday night bender with too much Budweiser and Taco Bell."
                              Might need the beer and Taco Hell route.

Apparently, all these endurance races messed up my body more than I thought.

Comment

Might need the beer and Taco Hell route.

Apparently, all these endurance races messed up my body more than I thought.
                                And it's come to this. My doctor ordered an enema.

Comment

Working...
                                X