Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: MLB 2018.1: ...And The Nationals Will Not Make It Out of the First Round

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
    Valid questions, and I hope the extinction of the no-nos/perfects don't happen. The appreciation of seeing those is waning amongst the younger audiences, though. They want to see the HR-fests.
    Aside from seeing my team win a title in person, I can't imagine ever being at a sporting event more exciting than watching Tom Browning's perfect game on September 16th, 1988. Half the crowd driven away before the first pitch by a nearly 2 hour long rain delay. No TV (that is unheard of now, there isn't a single MLB game that is not televised live by both teams). The tension over the last couple of innings, the roar of 8,000 people that sounded like 58,000 as the final out of the 9th inning was recorded, all in the heat of a pennant race, still the coolest sporting moment I have ever seen in person.

Comment

Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
      Aside from seeing my team win a title in person, I can't imagine ever being at a sporting event more exciting than watching Tom Browning's perfect game on September 16th, 1988. Half the crowd driven away before the first pitch by a nearly 2 hour long rain delay. No TV (that is unheard of now, there isn't a single MLB game that is not televised live by both teams). The tension over the last couple of innings, the roar of 8,000 people that sounded like 58,000 as the final out of the 9th inning was recorded, all in the heat of a pennant race, still the coolest sporting moment I have ever seen in person.
      I actually remember that game (not seeing it, but the game itself).
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

• Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
        ... No TV (that is unheard of now, there isn't a single MLB game that is not televised live by both teams). ...
        You're being facetious, right?

You do know that there are still teams who have games tape delayed or not aired at all (not including the Facebook only game of the week blackout from TV coverage)?
        “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
          You're being facetious, right?

You do know that there are still teams who have games tape delayed or not aired at all (not including the Facebook only game of the week blackout from TV coverage)?
          I'll go to bat here, but guessing streaming is included in "televised" definition?
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
            I'll go to bat here, but guessing streaming is included in "televised" definition?
            You all still realize that in 2018 there are still teams who don't have a way to watch (TV/Streaming) every single game, right?
            “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

You all still realize that in 2018 there are still teams who don't have a way to watch (TV/Streaming) every single game, right?
              I was unaware, to be honest. Figured somewhere, somehow, you could watch a game (although, maybe not legally in the ways of streaming).

Comment

I am not aware of this so I was probably overly broad in that statement. I haven't casually watched baseball in years and only now watch Phillies or Dodgers games when they are available to me. It seems that in what used to be the "exclusive" broadcast windows, teams are now able to televise, and if they are not, they simply play their game at a different time. Which teams/games are fans unable to see live in one fashion or another?

Comment

I was unaware, to be honest. Figured somewhere, somehow, you could watch a game (although, maybe not legally in the ways of streaming).
                  I'm with you. The Tigers have had every game televised for at least the last five years, I think maybe even going back to before 2010. That includes double headers and make ups. It might help that FS Detroit has an alternate channel set up since they usually have conflicting schedules with MLB/NBA/NHL/NCAA/HS contrats, but I figured every team would have adopted the 162 game broadcast by now.
                  Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
                    I'm with you. The Tigers have had every game televised for at least the last five years, I think maybe even going back to before 2010. That includes double headers and make ups. It might help that FS Detroit has an alternate channel set up since they usually have conflicting schedules with MLB/NBA/NHL/NCAA/HS contrats, but I figured every team would have adopted the 162 game broadcast by now.
                    This is what I thought.

For a short time in the mid 2000s I had the MLB cable package and was not aware of a single Phillies game not available via that platform, unless it was on ESPN Sunday nights or FOX on Saturday afternoons.

I know for sure that as more and more teams broadcast more and more of their games, they routinely did move them away from the Saturday FOX window. When FOX tried to bolster the ratings for its games I know they tried to heavily regionalize them, along the NFL model, and show like 5 or 6 games in the window.

I do recall hearing that this live streaming of Facebook or some similar platform was exclusive there, but the number of people who would not have access to that has to be infinitesimal.

A team willingly deciding to NOT broadcast one of its games in 2018 would surprise me. I'm really curious to know if there are teams that do not, who they are and what games they decide not to show.

Comment

The teams sports affiliate (foxsports, root, comcast, att, etc) usually televise about 154 games a year. It would be rare that they broadcast all 162.

Usually the other games are ones picked up by national rights (Fox, ESPN, Facebook).

But the bigger issue is, do those rights holders have contracts with providers, so fans can actually watch. For example, the Dodgers are in 30% of LA homes. They do not have contracts with most of the tv providers.
                      PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                      Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                      NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
                        The teams sports affiliate (foxsports, root, comcast, att, etc) usually televise about 154 games a year. It would be rare that they broadcast all 162.

Usually the other games are ones picked up by national rights (Fox, ESPN, Facebook).
                        And this is the way it is with the Indians. The rare game not on whatever they call their FOX Sports outlet up here in the greater Cleveland area is on ESPN or some other "national" cable outlet.

But the bigger issue is, do those rights holders have contracts with providers, so fans can actually watch. For example, the Dodgers are in 30% of LA homes. They do not have contracts with most of the tv providers.
                        Somewhat different issue than what I meant. The team is still televising the game. Cable outlets and DISH and DIRECTv simply do not want to pay the ridiculous fees that Spectrum (and the Dodgers were willing partners in this) want them to pay. I think the majority of LA households who pay for DISH or DIRECTv choose one of those providers, and at least have access to Spectrum cable service, as they are the dominant provider in LA.

Comment

Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
                          I did. More reasons to wear a cup.
                          wonder how many pieces that was broken into there???
                          a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
                            Will we someday see the end of the no-hitter? At least the no-no completed by the guy who started the game? We already know the era of 300 game winners is gone. Complete games are almost unheard of. Teams are reluctant to let a starter go through a lineup a 3rd time now, and usually then it is only workhorses like Kershaw who are allowed that sort of luxury. It isn't a complete shock anymore to see guys pulled despite pitching 5 or 6 hitless innings. Will we someday see pitchers pulled with a perfect game through 6 or 7 innings?
                            I think we are already there. Heck, just yesterday, Yankees rookie Germain had a no-hitter through six innings. They pulled him after that. Betances came in and pitched a no-hit seventh. The Yankees were about to pull a Dodgers just days later.

(Through seven scoreless innings, the Yankees had a no-hitter and Cleveland had a one-hitter. And the game wound up 7-4!)

Valid questions, and I hope the extinction of the no-nos/perfects don't happen. The appreciation of seeing those is waning amongst the younger audiences, though. They want to see the HR-fests.

We're seeing that trend in the stats, given April, with Ks > Hits stat that's been talked about. It's turning into all or nothing for an AB.
                            Yesterday I read the following article:

http://www.espn.com/blog/buster-olne...roken-baseball

Which talks about exactly what you mention as well as the complete game being as rare as a Big Foot siting.
                            Russell Jaslow
                            [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                            U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

We're seeing that trend in the stats, given April, with Ks > Hits stat that's been talked about. It's turning into all or nothing for an AB.
                              These things wax and wane. For all we know pitchers will be throwing 20 CG a year in 30 years.
                              Cornell University
                              National Champion 1967, 1970
                              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                                These things wax and wane. For all we know pitchers will be throwing 20 CG a year in 30 years.
                                The pitchers in the pre70s era threw BP. Their arms didn't fall off.
                                CCT '77 & '78
                                4 kids
                                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Working...
                                X