X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Badgers 2016-2017

Originally posted by Nowheresville View Post
    It took a little searching to find them (especially since it didn't take the LaBahn name until after the current arena construction was approved), but I found some of the original sketches and renderings from the plans for a 4,400 seat arena proposed in 2007.

The original plans and drawings start around page 30 of the pdf:
    http://www.uwathletics.com/sport_new...rt/mp_6565.pdf

What's interesting is not only did those drawings not include plans for a 2nd deck - other than a few suites - it actually had the arena aligned so there were no seats along one entire side of the arena - still a U shape, but with seats going behind both goals. I really didn't remember that aspect of things, and thought current the no seats behind one of the goals was one of the original plans all along - something that always stood out, because I like sitting behind the goals and knew I would be losing my seats when they moved.

As others mentioned, proposing a new arena in 2007-08 really couldn't have been worse in terms of timing for funding, but the short term solution really has had long-term consequences - and we talked about the problems before the doors to LaBahn even opened.
    Wow, nice find. Hard to believe that would seat 4,400 with a relatively big portion of the rink with no seats. I don't remember that, but obviously there it is.

Comment

Originally posted by wiscolorado View Post
      People will put extra tickets behind the glass inside the entrances to LaBahn. That is how I got into the second game against Duluth a few weeks ago. I'm hoping that will work out for me again!

I would love to see a WCHA/NCAA tourney in Madison. I will be perpetually annoyed that Minnesota frequently gets home ice advantage for these things.
      I would keep checking craigslist - some tickets will probably pop up there at some point this week. With the high demand, higher ticket price, and the fact that these games aren't included with season tickets, I'd be a little surprised if extra tickets are put up on the glass this week.

There was talk of hosting a Frozen Four back when they were talking about building a 4,400 seat arena, but it's not really possible with the size of LaBahn. The coliseum could be an interesting host site idea for it, but I don't see UW putting in the effort, and the upcoming new home ice format of the B1G mens tourney probably makes it even less likely.

Having said that, I would think that they would still have a reasonable chance of hosting a WCHA at LaBahn. Again, however, that would require UW putting in the effort to bid for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Nowheresville View Post
        I would keep checking craigslist - some tickets will probably pop up there at some point this week. With the high demand, higher ticket price, and the fact that these games aren't included with season tickets, I'd be a little surprised if extra tickets are put up on the glass this week.

There was talk of hosting a Frozen Four back when they were talking about building a 4,400 seat arena, but it's not really possible with the size of LaBahn. The coliseum could be an interesting host site idea for it, but I don't see UW putting in the effort, and the upcoming new home ice format of the B1G mens tourney probably makes it even less likely.

Having said that, I would think that they would still have a reasonable chance of hosting a WCHA at LaBahn. Again, however, that would require UW putting in the effort to bid for it.
        There is a pair of tickets up on Craigslist right now (for $40; and no, I'm not pimping my own Craigslist ad)

--------

Beyond all that, there is also this odd 'video board control' story from when they upgraded the video at Camp Randall.

The control facility for the Camp Randall video boards is the control facility at the Kohl Center. “Instead of duplicating that room [at Camp Randall] we actually found it was cheaper to run 7000 feet of fiber optic cable under Dayton Street and we connected the scoreboard at Camp Randall to the control room here" the story reads. That - if I undertstand correctly - means there is a "one event at a time" limitation between Kohl Center and Camp Randall. And I assume that the same control and same 'one at a time' limit would apply to LaBahn, as well.

But... there is also preparation underway for the KC to get a video board upgrade as well as the Field House to get video board capabilities. And there is no way that a "one event at a time" limit could survive the addition of the Field House to the mix. So a 'video board' barrier to hosting WCHA/NCAA at LaBahn may soon disappear.

https://insidethekohlcenter.wordpres...to-many-at-uw/

(All that said, what do they do on a weekend like nine days ago, when there is WCHA first round at LaBahn while state HS wrestling is happening at the Kohl Center? Does 'three mats at a time' wrestling not use video the way a single competition would? Anyone who can add info here, please do.)

Comment

Originally posted by robertearle View Post
          Beyond all that, there is also this odd 'video board control' story from when they upgraded the video at Camp Randall.

The control facility for the Camp Randall video boards is the control facility at the Kohl Center. “Instead of duplicating that room [at Camp Randall] we actually found it was cheaper to run 7000 feet of fiber optic cable under Dayton Street and we connected the scoreboard at Camp Randall to the control room here" the story reads. That - if I undertstand correctly - means there is a "one event at a time" limitation between Kohl Center and Camp Randall. And I assume that the same control and same 'one at a time' limit would apply to LaBahn, as well.

But... there is also preparation underway for the KC to get a video board upgrade as well as the Field House to get video board capabilities. And there is no way that a "one event at a time" limit could survive the addition of the Field House to the mix. So a 'video board' barrier to hosting WCHA/NCAA at LaBahn may soon disappear.

(All that said, what do they do on a weekend like nine days ago, when there is WCHA first round at LaBahn while state HS wrestling is happening at the Kohl Center? Does 'three mats at a time' wrestling not use video the way a single competition would? Anyone who can add info here, please do.)
          I sure hope you are right that this control board issue will go away with the new video boards.

It was fascinating to see the original depiction of LaBahn with all the seats on the ends and 1 side. If I had to chose between that plan or the current one not taking the amount of seats into consideration, I'd take the current layout.

Awesome to see Pankowski and Nurse climb up the national scoring ladder, they are now 6th & 8th in points and tied for 2nd in goals. What can MJ do to get Norby and Cogan going? I'm still lobbying to see Norby/McKibbon/Maurmann but MJ isn't going to rock the boat this far into the season. He is still spotting Mauermann into games, which is nice. Steady as she goes.

Ok..some Bob Morris talk..UW's depth should again pay dividends. Their top point getting F have 50 and 45 pts, but after that it drops off to 24, 18, 17, 17, 8, 7, 6. UW's after the top 2 have 44, 32, 27, 26, 20, 20, 17. They only have 8 F who have played in 33 or 34 games. The scoring of their D is comparable to UW's (top 4 have for more total points than UW's), but have a bigger impact on their overall scoring due to the scoring totals of the F's. It looks like they use 6 D, all 6 have played in 30+ games. UW will have to be aware of the D getting involved in the attack and surely shut down the 1st line.

Overall stats, scoring O..UW 4.03/RM 3.12; scoring D UW .86/RM 1.97; PP UW 22/RM 17; PK UW 92/RM 91; Penalties per game UW 8/RM 11; my favorite stat, SHG UW 8/RM 1.

Overall I just don't know how to interpret their stats due the the conference they play in. They have a very very good goalie, there's always that fear of the goalie stealing a game, but I don't think they have seen a team with this much speed and depth all year.
          Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
          Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
          "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
          Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
            He is still spotting Mauermann into games, which is nice. Steady as she goes.
            I think what he has been doing is after a power play, Mauermann comes in to 'spell' whoever was just on the ice during the power play but would otherwise also be on the ice with their regular line. So that that PP player doesn't have to go back-to-back shifts.

Comment

Bump to clear the North Korean hackers. On Wisconsin.
              Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
              Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
              Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
              "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
              Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

http://www.uwbadgers.com/news/2017/3...n-channel.aspx

This is a pretty big deal. With the game selling out in around 2 hours, there was literally no other way to see the game. Great development for the local Badger women's hockey fan. Even better if the Wisconsin Channel available throughout the state, which I just don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by Badger Booster View Post
                  http://www.uwbadgers.com/news/2017/3...n-channel.aspx

This is a pretty big deal. With the game selling out in around 2 hours, there was literally no other way to see the game. Great development for the local Badger women's hockey fan. Even better if the Wisconsin Channel available throughout the state, which I just don't know.
                  Wisconsin Channel should be available to stream via their website. That makes me happy down here in Georgia.
                  Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

Even better if the Wisconsin Channel available throughout the state, which I just don't know.
                    The "Wisconsin Channel" is WI Public Television's 'second' channel. I assume (though I don't know know for certain) that anywhere regular WPT is available over-the-air and on cable, the Wisconsin Channel will also be available.

Comment

The Wisconsin Channel is available statewide - although I'm not 100% certain about Milwaukee, since Milwaukee Public TV is different than Wisconsin Public TV. As mentioned, it's generally WPT's "dot 2" as in 21.2 in Madison.

It is also available worldwide online:
                      http://wpt.org/watch/watch-wisconsin-channel-online

Comment

Originally posted by robertearle View Post
                        There is a pair of tickets up on Craigslist right now (for $40; and no, I'm not pimping my own Craigslist ad)

--------

Thanks for the tip, I ended up getting those tickets! However, I only wanted one ticket and he was selling a pair. So if any of you know someone who is looking for a ticket, you know who to ask! The catch of course is that they'll have to sit next to me, since it is reserved seating

Comment

NCAA Quarterfinal News/Notes/Video vs. Robert Morris

http://www.uwbadgers.com/news/2017/3...x?path=whockey

Stuff gets real starting tomorrow. It will be one of the biggest crowds in LaBahn history as they officially sold standing-room only tickets which is not the norm. You never really know how teams will react coming into a sold out, and very loud, environment.

As a fan, it's a nerve-wracking game as RMU really has nothing to lose. Fortunately, Wisconsin has a style of just coming at you in waves for the full 60 minutes. Overall, a big weekend of hockey on campus.

Comment

Originally posted by wiscolorado View Post
                            Thanks for the tip, I ended up getting those tickets! However, I only wanted one ticket and he was selling a pair. So if any of you know someone who is looking for a ticket, you know who to ask! The catch of course is that they'll have to sit next to me, since it is reserved seating
                            this guy had an extra ticket & put it to an interesting use
                            http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/p...less-man-game/

Comment

It's a Great Day for Hockey!

The drive for five starts now. I like that Brad Winchester gave a shout out to the women's team during last night's men's game broadcast (which was a complete debacle).

Should be a wild atmosphere. Can't take anything or anyone for granted. I feel like this staff and this team isn't going to overlook RMU.

Now off for my pregame food & drinks.

Let's Go Red!

Comment

It's a Great Day for Hockey!

Visitor band update: real live RMU band has arrived.

https://twitter.com/RMUWHockey/statu...23794461016064

Comment

Working...
                                X