X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston University - 2017-2018 season - thread numero uno

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
    Tkachuk clearly is loaded with skill but is EXTREMELY raw and needs time to develop, as well as put on some muscle. He's had a good amount of trouble adjusting to the level of play and physicality at the collegiate level.
    Tkachuk is still growing into his body. In 3 years he's grown from 5'10"/155 to 6'3"/194. Looks very awkward at times physically against more mature competition.

Amonte has been decent, though I think he's one of the guys that could've used another year of development before coming to college. I don't think either one got here on his last name, a la Eruzione's kid, nor do I think either is a major factor contributing to the horrendous play over the last month.
    If it wasn't for other departures, he would have played another year in either the BCHL or USHL. I think the same could be said for Cockerill and Crone.

If JFK & Bellows returned, and Andren hadn't transferred, I think we would have only seen one of the 3 (between Amonte, Cockerill, Crone) on this year's roster.

For the life of me I cannot understand Quinn's insistence on continuing to suit up Cloonan each night, he's a total nonfactor.
    Great skater. Unfortunately that's where it begins/ends. Skates much faster than he sees & thinks the game, hence the lack of productivity as well as a defensive liability.

Would much rather have an average skater w/ high hockey IQ in the lineup.

Comment

In the last 14 full periods, only 2 goals by a BU forward. That is the main issue on this team.

Today is a new day. I like the lines from last night even though they didn't result in a win. Hopefully Quinn sticks with these lines and gives them a chance to gel. Jumbling the lines every game isn't working.

Comment

Originally posted by Tater View Post
        In the last 14 full periods, only 2 goals by a BU forward. That is the main issue on this team.
        Only 6 forwards have scored all season.

Comment

Originally posted by Tater View Post

Today is a new day. I like the lines from last night even though they didn't result in a win. Hopefully Quinn sticks with these lines and gives them a chance to gel. Jumbling the lines every game isn't working.
          I agree that sticking with lines is the way to go, but the lines in both NU games were a disaster. Sub out Cloonan and one of Crone/Amonte for Chabot and Olsson. We have far too many "small speedy forwards" in the lineup right now - Crone, Harper, Cockerill, Melanson, Cloonan, Amonte. Only one of them is scoring consistently (Harper), and only one other is displaying consistent skill in both zones (Cockerill). Not that he's the savior by any stretch, but Chabot's gritty play is a missing piece, and Olsson's physicality, leadership, and experience is needed out there. Cannot make more plays like the one he made last Saturday that drew the suspension.

Sub in Hickey and Farrance for two of Crotty/Kotkansalo/McLeod/Diffley. Despite his penalties, I like McLeod's physicality being out there, along with experience and a good shot from the blue line. I feel terrible for Diffley that he got stuck in the back of the shuffle in 15-16 and 16-17 when the new D came in and that stunted his development significantly. Crotty and Kotkansalo have been decent but unspectacular.

Separate issue but this program under Quinn has seemed to have the mental stability of a house of cards. 13-14 can be disregarded here. 14-15, I think this is what the Eichel effect covered up more than anything else. 15-16 the team inexplicably collapsed after something happened during the series at ND. What happened is unclear since they played fairly well in splitting the series, only losing a close 1-0 game Saturday where Peterson had to stand on his head. That followed with a woeful octofinal series against that abysmal Amherst team, the two collapses in the QF against Lowell, and another collapse in the NCAAs against DU. 16-17 began to mentally combust in January starting with the Merrimack sweep and continued its downward spiral in the woeful Harvard and BC games at the Garden. To their credit, they put together a very respectable performance in the NCAAs in an impossible environment against UND and against a superb UMD team. But the number of "events" that have caused the team to spiral out of control for long periods of time is concerning. I wonder if the Mankato sweep and DU loss are this year's version.
          Last edited by brassbonanza; 11-11-2017, 11:53 AM.
          ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
            We have far too many "small speedy forwards" in the lineup right now
            Another consideration is the imbalance between left/right shots. Only Bobo, Amonte, Chabot and Witkowski shoot right, and only 2 of those forwards are regulars in the lineup.

IMO this has also been a factor to the team's inability to generate scoring opportunities. The glut of left shots has led to much of the offense attempted to be generated from the LW side; passes from that side are often to another left-shot who must handle it on their backhand. Not to mention if the off-wing is coming down the RW side, he has to either telegraph the pass on his forehand, attempt to make a clean backhand pass, or get it deep and protect the puck w/ his body so he's in position to make a forehand pass out coming out of the corner.

Never underestimate the importance of having a left/right balance on forward lines.

Comment

• Originally posted by Friend_of_BU_Hockey View Post
              Only 6 forwards have scored all season.
              And 5 defenseman have a total of 3 points

Comment

I’m sorry but I still don’t understand how that is “interference.” Bobo HAD POSSESSION and pushed the puck ahead to himself. If Gildon doesn’t touch him Bobo just walks right around him. So he’s supposed to do nothing and just let Bobo walk around him and collect the puck?

Comment

Interesting to hear on the broadcast the talk of a “goalie competition.” A little premature perhaps but it can only be GOOD to have someone you’re not afraid to throw in there to give Jake a rest.

Comment

We’re good again!

Comment

• Originally posted by chickod View Post
                      We’re good again!
                      Eh, it was uhn after all.....
                      a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

• Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                        Don’t spoil my fun!

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                          The best HE has to offer at this point!

Comment

Originally posted by BU Fan 84 View Post
                            The best HE has to offer at this point!
                            c'mon now. let us be adults here!
                            a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

• Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                              We are the Champions of October!

Comment

Credit where credit is due, DQ's move to put in Max was the right read of his locker room. Great to see everyone skating hard to the final horn to get Max that shutout. Real happy for him after what was a clear struggle in his only other start in the exhibition. He fought off a few shots and UNH missed some open shots at the net, so I wouldn't go as far as to say there's any need for a "goalie competition" but it's good to see that when Jake needs a night off - as he very clearly did after last night - that Max is a serviceable option.
                                ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Working...
                                X