No announcement yet.

Hockey East - Who's in, who's out, who's home: by the numbers - 2012-13 edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hockey East - Who's in, who's out, who's home: by the numbers - 2012-13 edition

Originally posted by Todd View Post
    For those of you following along with the BU 3-goal weirdness:
    Chinese water torture is also a "thing", right?

BU led NU 4-1 tonight before the 4-2 final.

New tally: 13 three-goal leads and 6 three-goal responses (by either team) in the 19 BU games since 12/30/12.
    BU's 5-0 final adds to the stack.

New tally: 14 three-goal leads and 6 three-goal responses (by either team) in the 20 BU games since 12/30/12.

Come on... isn't hockey closer than this? Every freaking night BU is scoring, or being scored on, in chunks.

All I know is that Merrimack better be scouting that emerging powerhouse duo of Moscatel and Ronan before showing up on Comm. Ave.
    sigh...

Fri v MC, BU wins 3-0. (Three-goal lead? Check!)
    Sat v MC, BU trails 2-3 before getting a 5-3 final with an ENG inside the final :05. (Three-goal response? Check!) The ENG even got scored by two different players, just to make sure the ref counted it.

New tally: 15 three-goal leads and 7 three-goal responses (by either team) in the 22 BU games since 12/30/12.

Remember that I only counted multiple three-goal leads in the same game by the same team once and the same with more-than-three be same as three, so this figure could be higher.

I guess for the BU fans, at least it has been BU doing the additions to the list of late, rather than giving them up.

I thought this was funny,... curious,... an oddity at first. But now it won't go away. Keeping track of this and the chicken at home games certainly gave plenty to focus on if the game dragged.

Still, I suppose I should stop complaining about 3-0 victories or coming from behind and getting an insurance goal late, right?
    The reviews keep coming in about Todd's Posts:
    cambam - Now, that Todd. He is not a moron. Wow. Nice.
    smyler3 - It's starting to get buried in this ... silliness, but Todd makes a lot of good points in his post below.
    MAV - Todd... I followed this post all day long, and you're dead on with your thoughts on [this topic] and the whole discussion...
    Scarlet - What he said.
    brick royl - Wow, what a post. :eek
    TA Jen - As always Todd, you make a good point
    Puck Swami - Todd: Good post. I really hadn't thought about [what you said]... Learn something new every day on these boards...
    Bob Gray - Very well said Todd.
    Puck Swami - Todd, a fine post - as we've come to expect from you.
    David Manning of the Ridgefield Press - Todd's last post? I laughed, I cried, it was better than Cats!
    Gene Siskel of the Chicago Tribune - In my will, I bequeathed both of my thumbs to Todd's posts with rigor mortis locking them permanently in the "Up" position!

Comment

• Re: Hockey East - Who's in, who's out, who's home: by the numbers - 2012-13 edition

...and perhaps finally, because I'm not sure what other comments are coming and whether I'll have a chance to post between Friday's results and Saturday's starts, thanks for all the kind words throughout the last couple of weeks.

I've had a lot of stuff on my plate, but I know people look forward to knowing what's going on. Me too.

Since I'm going to have to go through it for myself - and we apparently can't count on the actual media outlets [cough] NESN [cough] - I might as well share. Even better, it helps me clarify for myself to have to explain it to someone else, which I'm going to do when I get to the rinks anyway (sorry for those who sit nearby, but you know the Qs are coming).

It occurred to me recently, I've been around USCHO just about since it started - back in the days when you had to type your own name and location in with each posting, yet somehow people could tell who everyone was just by how they wrote, if not by name. In fact, the original T1K started when another poster was trying to find me. Getting to 1000 was quite a feat at the time, since threads were anchored to be sorted by thread creation time, not most recent post, so threads scrolled into oblivion pretty quickly unless people searched for them explicitly.

I've met lots of great people, and some not, through these forums through the years. Some who I still see around, some who no longer post for various reasons, some who have always just lurked, and some who - sadly - have passed on.

For the last couple of years, however, this thread is pretty much the only reason I come onto the message boards anymore. Imagine how little sleep I'd get if I did this year 'round...

So, if we all have something more to say in the next little while, that's great, and you can tack this on to the end when it comes.

But in case I don't have anything else to post for this version of the thread (although I suppose there's at least one coda to wrap up the BU 3-goal saga), I didn't want to forget to say...

Good to see you all again, and I'll catch you with about six weeks to go next year, when we'll have 11 teams. Won't that be fun?
      Last edited by Todd; 03-19-2013, 01:26 AM.
      smyler3 - It's starting to get buried in this ... silliness, but Todd makes a lot of good points in his post below.
      MAV - Todd... I followed this post all day long, and you're dead on with your thoughts on [this topic] and the whole discussion...
      Scarlet - What he said.
      Puck Swami - Todd: Good post. I really hadn't thought about [what you said]... Learn something new every day on these boards...
      David Manning of the Ridgefield Press - Todd's last post? I laughed, I cried, it was better than Cats!
      Gene Siskel of the Chicago Tribune - In my will, I bequeathed both of my thumbs to Todd's posts with rigor mortis locking them permanently in the "Up" position!

Comment

• Originally posted by Todd View Post
        ...and perhaps finally, because I'm not sure what other comments are coming and whether I'll have a chance to post between Friday's results and Saturday's starts, thanks for all the kind words throughout the last couple of weeks.

I've had a lot of stuff on my plate, but I know people look forward to knowing what's going on. Me too.

Since I'm going to have to go through it for myself - and we apparently can't count on the actual media outlets [cough] NESN [cough] - I might as well share. Even better, it helps me clarify for myself to have to explain it to someone else, which I'm going to do when I get to the rinks anyway (sorry for those who sit nearby, but you know the Qs are coming).

It occurred to me recently, I've been around USCHO just about since it started - back in the days when you had to type your own name and location in with each posting, yet somehow people could tell who everyone was just by how they wrote, if not by name. In fact, the original T1K started when another poster was trying to find me. Getting to 1000 was quite a feat at the time, since threads were anchored to be sorted by thread creation time, not most recent post, so threads scrolled into oblivion pretty quickly unless people searched for them explicitly.

I've met lots of great people, and some not, through these forums through the years. Some who I still see around, some who no longer post for various reasons, some who have always just lurked, and some who - sadly - have passed on.

For the last couple of years, however, this thread is pretty much the only reason I come onto the message boards anymore. Imagine how little sleep I'd get if I did this year 'round...

So, if we all have something more to say in the next little while, that's great, and you can tack this on to the end when it comes.

But in case I don't have anything else to post for this version of the thread (although I suppose there's at least one coda to wrap up the BU 3-goal saga), I didn't want to forget to say...

Good to see you all again, and I'll catch you with about six weeks to go next year, when we'll have 11 teams. Won't that be fun?
        Many thanks Todd, always a pleasure reading this thread. And next year there'll be new tiebreakers too, because surely you know Notre Dame abides by their own set of rules!
        ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Even with all of the upsets going on, through the middle of the night last night it was still possible for BU to make the NCAAs with only a semi win.

Early on, it was becoming clear that the possibility of a BU v PC final was now going to be a play-in game, as opposed to the possibility of a 5-team HE contingent in the NCAAs. With PCs loss to UML - and the Friars dropping off the NCAA bubble - that re-opened the door to BU making the NCAAs with a win over BC, but a loss to UML.

The relentless march of upsets finally closed the last door when Union knocked off Yale in the ECAC nightcap. Niagara losing hurt more that they didn't take up to three pairs from teams around BU - like Notre Dame, if they were to lose to OSU - than that a 2nd AHA team was making it.

Ultimately, so many teams in the middle of the potential NCAA tournament field lost that a couple of things happened, relative to HE:

- BU now needs to beat UML to make the tourney.

Oddly, it is now possible for BU to be a 3 seed, because even though they can't get higher than 13th by PWR, there could be up to four lower-seeded upset auto-bid winners. If CC, Brown, and either OSU or Michigan all won, they - plus AHA winner Mercyurst or Canisius - would be lower seeds than BU. BU would be the fifth-from-the-bottom auto-bid and move up from 13th rank to 12th seed and into the 3rd band.

Ironically, in what looked like the a year that the AHA would get two bids (when Niagara earned an at-large bid the first time - and took out UNH - there was no auto-bid for the conf), it would actually be all of the other conferences having upsets that would take out Niagara (would would be 12). Oh, how the tables have turned.

- With all of the other mid-tier (low 1s to high 3s) teams losing, there are only four teams alive for the 3 and 4 seeds. (QU and MN will be the 1 and 2.) The four teams are Miami, UML, BC, and Notre Dame.

Miami will almost certainly be one of those top seeds, but unclear whether they would be 3 or 4 overall. Notre Dame will almost certainly not, but there is a window. UML obviously controls its own fate, but if they lose, they and BC will be looking at: the WCHA Final and the OSU v Notre Dame CCHA semi, and the ECAC Conso.

---
          If Notre Dame beats Michigan, the Irish will be a 1 seed. If they win, but beat Miami, they will be probably a 3 seed. The Irish apparently need Michigan to maintain their recent appearance as a TUC, and a loss in the semi will drop the Wolverines back out.

If Miami wins, they are 3.

If UML wins, they should be a 1 seed and BC will not be.

If BU wins, there are a lot of configurations.

---
          If Notre Dame beats Mich and UML wins, UML is 3 and ND 4. That is one of the few scenarios that makes Miami a 2 seed.

Even if they lose to BU, UML can own the pairs from both Miami and BC, but lose up to four below them. Owning those two pairs (in combination with BC also losing a second pair to Miami and Miami losing a second pair to Robt Morris) means that UML could afford to lose two of the lower four and still take a tb.

Yale beating the Q in the ECAC Conso takes a pair from UML, as would Wisco beating CC - either of which could be key in the Hawks beating out BC (or BC and Miami) for a 1 seed. AK and SCSU would also have their UML pairs.

So: If Notre Dame beats Mich and BU wins and QU beats Yale and CC beats Wisco, we could get a 3-way tie for 4th, with a clear RR breakout. UML over Miami/BC. Miami over BC. => ND 3. UML 4, Miami 5, BC 6.

Other than those very specific scenarios, I think Miami is a 1 seed even if they lose to Michigan.

---
          If you now flip those, where Notre Dame doesn't beat Michigan, and UML doesn't beat BU, you now have BC and UML fighting it out for the 4 seed.

Notre Dame not winning the CCHA (whether losing to Miami or Mich) gives a pair back to Miami and UML, but keeps the pair with BC - giving UML and Miami a leg up. Notre Dame losing to OSU would result in BC taking that pair and we would be back to the 3-way RR - which still puts BC on the bottom, but lets them jump up if UML loses another pair (see Yale and Wisco).

If the Irish beat OSU (taking the pair from BC), but lose in the final (leaving pairs in the hands of Miami and UML), then BC would need both Yale and Wisco to win to jump over UML. In that setup, if Wisco loses, the Yale win would put UML, BC, and Yale in a RR. With each having a 1-1 split, that would be decided on RPI and UML would get 4th.

----
          Take that same scenario but have ND beat Miami, it could create a 4-way RR for 3rd, with UML and Miami microscopically apart on RPI and that being the deciding factor. Yes, Notre Dame still takes the Miami, UML and BC pairs, but other pairs in between level them all out again. In that case, it will most likely fall UML, Miami, BC, Yale - but in the single instance where Canisius and Union both won, Miami would edge out UML on RPI. That would take the pair, moving Miami above BC/Yale and UML below them, effectively dropping UML to the bottom of that stack and moving everyone else up a notch.

----
          Other than that specific setup, Brown v Union, Merchurst v Canisius, and a possible Mich v OSU CCHA final all seem to have no impact on the top seed at this point.

----
          I cannot get Mankato or Denver out, nor can I get RPI in.

I also can't find a way to get Western past the auto-bids. Ditto, Robert Morris (see: Niagara, irony above).

Yale, SCSU, Niagara, Wisconsin are all still vulnerable.

----
          I think that BU is the only team that needs the win, but not (necessarily) the auto-bid that comes with it to get in.

Yale could get in even if they lose the ECAC consolation and Wisco could get in even if they lose the WCHA title to CC.

Anyone else still playing either requires the auto-bid to get in, or is in regardless and is playing for position and pride.
          Scarlet - What he said.

Comment

sigh...

Fri v MC, BU wins 3-0. (Three-goal lead? Check!)
            Sat v MC, BU trails 2-3 before getting a 5-3 final with an ENG inside the final :05. (Three-goal response? Check!) The ENG even got scored by two different players, just to make sure the ref counted it.

New tally: 15 three-goal leads and 7 three-goal responses (by either team) in the 22 BU games since 12/30/12.

Remember that I only counted multiple three-goal leads in the same game by the same team once and the same with more-than-three be same as three, so this figure could be higher.

I guess for the BU fans, at least it has been BU doing the additions to the list of late, rather than giving them up.

I thought this was funny,... curious,... an oddity at first. But now it won't go away. Keeping track of this and the chicken at home games certainly gave plenty to focus on if the game dragged.

Still, I suppose I should stop complaining about 3-0 victories or coming from behind and getting an insurance goal late, right?
            HE semi: Down 2-0, BU runs 5 straight (Three-goal response? Check! Three-goal lead? Check!) en route to a 6-3 final.

New tally: 16 three-goal leads and 8 three-goal responses (by either team) in the 23 BU games since 12/30/12.
            Scarlet - What he said.

Comment

BU now needs to beat UML to make the tourney.
              You are amazing (and I mean that in a good way). Very enjoyable and fascinating reading...BUT...this is why I have been saying for the past three weeks that BU needs to focus on one thing - WINNING! It's absolutely insane to even try to calculate all the permutations and since they couldn't control anything but what they did anyway, I was trying to get people to stop focusing on ways they could sneak in via the PWR. So for better or worse now, it all comes down to winning ONE MORE TIME!!! No "distractions." Which is the way it should be. 100% focus and commitment! Go BU!!

Comment

OK.

So Lowell is going to be a #3 overall, regardless of the Irish-Wolverines CCHA final Final. Pretty deservedly so, too, IMO. With just three losses since their sweep at the hands of UNH on Nov 30-Dec 1, UML has a 22-3-1 record going back to early December.

For perspective:
                Originally posted by Todd 3-08-13 View Post
                One month ago from tonight, UMA had 15 points and UML had 18.

If UML is going to lose one weekend every six weeks, wouldn't you want it to be this one?
                And you could see it coming:
                Originally posted by Todd 03-03-13 View Post
                (Spoiler alert:

Despite losing by three goals three times in the RS, UML beats UNH in the HE final, en route to Pittsburgh.

Oh, and...

the Rs in redrum are backwards,
                she's a dude,
                he's dead already,
                the boat sinks,
                Rosebud is a sled.)
                OK. I got the opponent wrong, but I did call UML winning the HE final three weeks ago. At the time, there was no way to predict that PC and BU were going to have better runs at the end than BC and UNH. You could tell that BC and UNH weren't playing well(see post to follow), but not that PC - and especially BU, who was in a 4-9-2 skid (or worse, 2-7-2 with a 2-2-0 on the front end) - would turn it up.

The question is going to be whether UML will follow up on the rest of that prediction and go to Pittsburgh. (Why am I hearing unfairly-disgruntled BU fans chanting at an under-producing-because-he-is-playing-through-injury Ryan Whitney in my head?)

---
                With Brown (the host in Providence, and fellow ECAC-er) losing in the ECAC final, that leaves #1 overall QU free for the short trip to Providence. That, and the fact that host UNH will not be a 4 seed, will leave Manchester available for #3 UML to rule as the 1 seed there.

Minnesota will be #2 and the 1 seed in Grand Rapids.

---
                If Notre Dame wins, they will be the last 1 seed and #4 overall in Toledo.

That drops Miami to 5 (5t/5 w/ pair over BC), BC 5t/6, UNH 7, NoDak 8.

Denver 9t/9, Niagara 9t/10, Mankato 11t/11, Union 11t/12.

St. Cloud 13, Wisco 14t/14, Yale squeaking in at 14t/15, and 16 Western bounced by AHA auto-bid, Canisius.

BU is three pairs shy at 18th and PC is another three pairs back at 22nd.

----
                If Michigan wins the CCHA, Notre Dame drops to 8 and everyone from Miami to NoDak moves up a notch. Miami fills the last 1 seed in Toledo at #4.

BC 5, UNH 6t/6 with pair over 6t/7 NoDak, Notre Dame 8.

The bottom half are the same except that Michigan's auto-bid bounces Yale at 15.

----
                Default pairs with an Irish win:

RI:
                QU - Canisius
                NoDak* - Denver

MI:
                Minn - Yale
                UNH* - Niagara

NH:
                UML - Wisco
                BC* - Mankato

OH:
                Irish - St. Cloud
                Miami - Union

Obviously UNH has to move to NH. Since they also have to break up the NoDak-Denver WCHA game and would prefer to keep Miami in Ohio, move BC to RI and NoDak to MI to the Minn bracket, that's what they'll do. I think they'd leave that.

Yale for Canisius is also possible, but that would kind of disservice the #1 overall, so I don't think they'll do it.

RI:
                QU - Canisius
                BC - Denver

MI:
                Minn - Yale
                NoDak - Niagara

NH:
                UML - Wisco
                UNH - Mankato

OH:
                Irish - St. Cloud
                Miami - Union

---
                For a Mich win:

RI:
                QU - Canisius
                Irish - Denver

MI:
                Minn - Michigan
                NoDak - Niagara

NH:
                UML - Wisco
                UNH - Mankato

OH:
                Miami - St. Cloud
                BC - Union

UNH falls naturally to NH and Miami to OH. NoDak is in MI with Minn. Michigan at #15 meets #2 Minn in Grand Rapids. It hurts Minn to have to face Mich in their home state, but I don't think they'd swap Canisius for Mich and kill the dream attendance boost in GR.

They might think of swapping BC and Irish for boosts to attendance in both sites, but a 5 for an 8 is a big switch - as much as Miami might like skipping Hockey East (esp. Boston), for as long as possible.

I think they could leave this as it falls and send it out.

Having only QU and the name-brand Irish in Catholic Providence might be worrisome, but - as noted - a 5-for-8 swap is tough. Maybe they'll look at "but Notre Dame was almost a 1 seed" and pull that trigger.

We'll see...

---
                Comparing the two, NH is the same in both.

MI is the same, with the exception of either Yale or Mich making the tourney.

If they pull the BC for Irish swap if Irish are 8th, then RI is the same in both...

... and OH has the same attendants, but Miami and Irish swap first round opponents.

That means they could be making travel arrangements before the CCHA is done, with the lone holdout being a bus ride from Ann Arbor - or a plane ride from New Haven - to get to Grand Rapids.
                Scarlet - What he said.

Comment

FWIW, I wrote this analysis to some BU fans as part of a discussion about "who would you rather face in the playoffs?" when the seedings were such a jumble late in the season.

Just observations about how BC and UNH were playing at the time. Use your own judgement.

Originally posted by Todd 03-05-13
                  BC is hurt and without much fanfare, has been playing kind of iffy (outside of the Beanpot) ever since Jerry was on the brink of the record. They lost their first game, but then won 10-straight before meeting us for the home-and-home. With the possibility of Jerry getting the all-time record against BU on home ice, they cold only manage a split and a tied [all-time wins] record. Over the next month, they went 1-1-2, and the "win" that broke the record is so bad that it doesn't count in their RPI because it would pull it down. Yes. They won the Beanpot and we cratered. While they do not have a losing [season series record] against any of the Home Ice Eligible teams, for the 2nd semester they have faced UNH (1-1-1), PC (1-1), UML (0-1), MC (1-1). Against the bottom 4 in the league, they are: UVM (1-0), UMA (0-1), ME (0-2), NU (1-0). So not only are they a game-under-.500 against the top of the league, they are also a game-under against the bottom. Pull out a five-week stretch of October-November and the Beanpot, and they're a pretty sh__ty-to-meh hockey team. Of course, we lost both Beanpot games and have been spotty all season, not just the second semester. Who's to say who wins a rivalry game played in Boston at either site? I'm just pointing out that BC is beatable by somebody, even if it's not us. Unless, of course, they get bored during the regular season and wake up when it's playoff time.

UNH? Also fading. Hard. Those benchmark UML losses were the H2H weekend with UNH. Since then UML has only lost a pair (on the same weekend). Also since then, UNH has not won on consecutive nights. The closest they have come is three points from UMA last weekend and from UVM the weekend before. Other than that, their 2nd semester has faced BC (1-1-1), PC (0-2-1), MC (1-2-0) and NU (1-0-0). So UNH was two games under .500 in the league for the 2nd semester before their pair of 3-point weekends drew them even. Their best record against the top teams[*] is a three-game split with BC, who has also played like crap.
                  *Of course, UNH did spank UML by three goals each time and UML ended up being the tippy-top of top teams. They also beat BU 2 of 3. But all six of those games were in the first semester - in fact, the last of the five of the wins was December 1st - and these comments were about the second semester.
                  Scarlet - What he said.

Comment

Last night's resolution to the BU 3-goal saga:

HE final: 1-0 UML. No addition to the string, but we came in with a one-over cushion

New tally: 16 three-goal leads and 8 three-goal responses (by either team) in the final 24 BU games of the 2012-2013 campaign.

That works out to an average of one (of either) per game.

That's just weird.

But wait!

There's more...
                    Scarlet - What he said.

Comment

For those of you wondering:

Merrimack's final RPI was .4950, with their record of 15-17-6.

If BU had lost/thrown one of the QF games, MC's RPI with a record of 16-17-6 would have been about .4984. Not enough to make them a TUC.

If instead, MC had won one more game that they lost - like, say, the RS finale against UMA (which I was saying would have given them enough of a buffer to lose to BU and still be a TUC) - their RPI with a record of 16-16-6 would have been about .5016. A TUC.

With a 5-0-0 (MC winning on their own, not in a QF v BU) added to their current TUC record, BU would have added the following pairs that they ended up losing: AK, WMU, Mankato, Notre Dame (even with the Irish winning the CCHA).

Adding those four pairs to BU's current 13, those 17 pairs would situate BU between #13 SCSU's 18 pairs and tied-for-#14 Wisco and Yale with 16 each.

In the case where Notre Dame wins the CCHA, that would bump Yale off the bottom of the stack and insert BU at 14, Wisco at 15 and Canisius at 16.

Notre Dame would lose a pair, but still win the 3-way RR with Miami and BC and there would be status quo at the 3/4/5 seeds. Mankato dropping a pair would move them from atop the Union tie at 11 to under the SCSU tie at 13.

---
                      However, if Michigan wins the CCHA, there would be three auto-bids below BU (Canisius at 16, Mich at 15 and Wisco at 14. That would leave SCSU/Mankato safe at 13, but knock BU off at 14.

---
                      Now, to be clear, I didn't do an analysis of any of the other teams that might have been impacted by playing Merrimack. You can ripple these through the PWR on your own if you like: Merrimack played Union twice and split (1-1-0). BC and PC were 1-1-1. UNH was 1-2. UML was 2-1.

... and Alaska was 1-0 vs MC, which takes the pair back from BU. The schedule giveth, and the schedule taketh away.

That changes things.

---
                      If BU has one less pair (add 3 not 4 -> total 16 not 17), then they fall into the tie with Wisco and Yale. They lose the pairs (and tb) to both. They come out the bottom and they, not Western, are the team dumped by Canisius - even if Notre Dame wins. If Michigan wins, they are further under the bubble.

---
                      So here's the only scenario where MC being a TUC could have made a difference for BU (deep analysis of MC's impact on others aside):

If MC had won one more RS game, BU could still be looking at the tourney with an Irish CCHA title - as long as that winning game was against Alaska. Take away the Alaska win over MC and the pair goes back to BU.

So BU being out right now - aside from their own winning and losing - could also be said to come down to Merrimack losing a two-goal lead to Alaska in October with Alaska scoring three power-play goals in the second for a 3-2 final.

You recognize what that is right?

A three-goal comeback!

Has M. Night Shyamalan been writing this thread this year?

I've been inexplicably following this bizarre trend in BU games for weeks - [whisper]I see three-goal scoring clumps...[/whisper] - and BU's NCAA fate (and the end of Parker's 40-season tenure) may come down to that?

Perhaps it has been a "sign" all along...?

[cue Twilight Zone intro...]

Ultimately, of course, all BU had to do was win one more game of their own and they would be in, so they have no one to look to but themselves.

Still, I tells ya... You can't make this stuff up, because no one would believe you.

On that note...

I'm out!

[drops mic and exits stage]
                      Scarlet - What he said.

Comment

Ultimately, of course, all BU had to do was win one more game of their own and they would be in, so they have no one to look to but themselves.
                        Gee, I think I've been saying that for a month...

Comment

Working...
                        X