X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2017-2018 Season - The Quest Continues

What Chuck said.

Makes you wonder where the next win will come from.
    Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories. - Stephen Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
      I don't think it's fair or right to question effort - you know what kind of teams often look like they're not giving max effort even if they may be? Bad ones that lack talent and lose a lot. Also the idea that what the coach says in the media is what he's saying to the team is ludicrous...
      You know, I do agree with the last part ... but whatever he's saying to/doing with the team clearly isn't registering, wouldn't you say? I mean, with all due respect to the likes of Army/Merrimack/Dartmouth/Yale/Brown, I think it's pretty reasonable to expect a ranked team with a 9-5-1 record entering that stretch to emerge afterwards with a winning record (and ranking) still intact, no? Or is it your position that it's all down to Tirone?

Blowing 4 goals leads in the 3rd period at home to a nothing program simply shouldn't happen, agreed?
      Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
      Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Aerman View Post
        What Chuck said.

Makes you wonder where the next win will come from.
        I think that should be Chuck's next contest. When will UNH win their next game. Anyone know their 2018/19 schedule?

Comment

Originally posted by Felger View Post
          Tell Me Again Mommy...

I see Greg is on the board, it will be interesting to read his take on tonight's latest cluster ...
          Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
          Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
            You know, I do agree with the last part ... but whatever he's saying to/doing with the team clearly isn't registering, wouldn't you say? I mean, with all due respect to the likes of Army/Merrimack/Dartmouth/Yale/Brown, I think it's pretty reasonable to expect a ranked team with a 9-5-1 record entering that stretch to emerge afterwards with a winning record (and ranking) still intact, no? Or is it your position that it's all down to Tirone?

Blowing 4 goals leads in the 3rd period at home to a nothing program simply shouldn't happen, agreed?
            You lost me at ranked team with a 9-5-1 record. That's not who they ever were or who they are. They are the equal of the teams they've played this year (an incredibly weak schedule). When that's the case, sometime you win five in a row and sometimes you lose five in a row but more often then not you end up around .500.

Are they a better team than Brown? Probably. Are they better than Dartmouth, Yale, Army, CC, Colgate, MC? Debateable (I'd say they're the same). I understand why people are frustrated. But you are closer to the right track (IMO) when you prescribe that UNH themselves are a cupcake.

And cupcakes lose. No matter what the coaches say (and I would never argue the coaches are doing a good job. They don't seem to be.). But the bigger issue is talent and depth (recruiting) not effort.

I look at tonight's line-up and I see at least four F and three D that have no place on an NCAA tournament line-up (and that may be generous). And with the exception of MAYBE 2-3 of the remaining skaters they are all playing roles over their heads if on a good team. Without even getting to the goalies it's just not a recipe for success.

It's ALL on the coaches. I just think their team-building skills have been the real issue.

---

I don't want to be negative - so I'll stop short of personal attacks like calling them 'pathetic' like some... #eyeroll
            Last edited by Dan; 01-06-2018, 09:02 PM.
            Live Free or Die!!
            Miami University '03

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

Agreed. So instead of going 5-0 since the PC victory, they went 0-4-1. I originally was going to go tonight but a combination of the cold, potential for freezing pipes, and two crummy teams kept me away. To think that they gave up four third period unanswered goals to anybody. Just god awful. Glad I missed it.

Comment

"The Bears are who we thought they were, and we let them off the hook!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                  "The Bears are who we thought they were, and we let them off the hook!"
                  Hey, were you there tonight, I was over in 106. Two periods of really good hockey and then WTH?. Hotdogs were okay, just above the JAR standard.

Brown started coming up the left side as it was the express lane into the zone. From there, all kinds of pressure lead to their comeback.
                  RIT Tigers

Got one foot in the crease

Comment

The Non-Quest predicated record for the remaining 16 games (post-Dartmouth) is 4-9-3.

0-1-1 after tonight's "loss" Likely 0-3-1 on Jan. 16.

.....whistles, and quietly walks away.....
                    Last edited by Scott; 01-06-2018, 09:19 PM.
                    UNH

Comment

Still batting 0.500. You can look at that record as half empty, or half full. I choose the latter, no matter the cupcakes on the schedule. Lots of parity across Div 1 this season.
                      Last edited by Snively65; 01-06-2018, 09:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                        I don't think it's fair or right to question effort - you know what kind of teams often look like they're not giving max effort even if they may be? Bad ones that lack talent and lose a lot. Also the idea that what the coach says in the media is what he's saying to the team is ludicrous...
                        You can question the talent level of this team all you want. But I have watched this team all season and they clearly are not putting forth the effort that they were at the beginning. The amount of puck battles they lose by simply not getting their feet moving to get in there first. The most talented players in the world will give up games like UNH did tonight if they don't work for it.

I agree that what a coach says in the media is not what is said in the locker room. But it is asinine to say that you are not disappointed with the teams play when there is clearly a disconnect between what was happening at the start of the season and what is happening now.

My recent anger toward the coaching staff was catalyzed last week against Dartmouth when with about 7 minutes left Dartmouth called a timeout while we were down 3-1. Neither Umile, Souza, or Stewart was coaching or even speaking to any of the players. The guys were just getting their water and chatting amongst themselves.

So I ask "coach" Umile now, are you disappointed with your teams play yet?

Comment

• Originally posted by deltabravo62 View Post
                          You can question the talent level of this team all you want. But I have watched this team all season and they clearly are not putting forth the effort that they were at the beginning. The amount of puck battles they lose by simply not getting their feet moving to get in there first. The most talented players in the world will give up games like UNH did tonight if they don't work for it.

I agree that what a coach says in the media is not what is said in the locker room. But it is asinine to say that you are not disappointed with the teams play when there is clearly a disconnect between what was happening at the start of the season and what is happening now.

My recent anger toward the coaching staff was catalyzed last week against Dartmouth when with about 7 minutes left Dartmouth called a timeout while we were down 3-1. Neither Umile, Souza, or Stewart was coaching or even speaking to any of the players. The guys were just getting their water and chatting amongst themselves.

So I ask "coach" Umile now, are you disappointed with your teams play yet?
                          Could not agree more about the talent v effort comment....what a nosedive they have taken and I saw it at the Vermont tie. I said to my husband that' i hoped this was not indicative of how things were going to go and frankly was bewildered as this was not the team that we had been watching. Sure we have had some great wins but the lack of consistent play has been, at least to me, mind boggling. WTH has happened? 😳

Now tonight we had our chances to at least close it out but didn't on the last breakaway. Positive? Eric MacAdams; kid plays a solid game. Hustles every shift. For the life of me I just can't understand it how we blew that lead. Thought we'd take it 6-0. Heard there's a lot of sick players fwiw dept. Still...feels like a loss...
                          Last edited by HockeyRef; 01-06-2018, 11:57 PM.
                          Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Looking forward to playing you guys. It will be Great!

Comment

• Originally posted by BlackI View Post
                              Looking forward to playing you guys. It will be Great!
                              Two teams going in opposite directions. Shutting out BU 3-0 in their barn is no small task, even if the Terriers are cycling through one and dones.

Comment

I was in Ireland last week visiting my daughter and her outlaws. Very nice trip which included a bucket list tour of the Guinness Brewery! Got back safely despite the bomb cyclone and Kennebunkport under water and was looking forward to watching a UNH win last night. I don't know what's going on with this team but something has changed since the beginning of the season obviously.
                                UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Working...
                                X