Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2016/2017 Lowell Thread: Hoping for Chicago pt 2

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
    "I don't know much about them. I just know they made it to the final of their league. All 16 teams in the tournament are good teams," senior captain Michael Kapla said.
    "We'll do our homework on them during the week. Our coaches do an amazing job of getting intel on other teams," Gambardella said.
    Read more: http://www.lowellsun.com/sports/ci_3...#ixzz4bu4EQ7ha

Get a copy of the ECAC Championship round video where Harvard wiped the floor with Cornell as they seem to do each time they play them. The best way to defeat a "bully" is to give them a bloody nose. That is the same with the Big Red. Use your shoulder pads. Pound them. Cornell tries to get an early lead and then suffocates you with defense causing you to take risks. Don't be intimidated by their size. Harvard's 5'9" forwards were knocking the Cornell 6'4" players (or what one Harvard fan affectionately calls "skating pylons") on their butt. Bodycheck, Forechecking ... go after them !!!

Glad you made it to Manchester. Good luck !!! Will be cheering for you.
    If you want to see Cornell at it's best, see the tape of Friday's semifinal when the Big Red "wiped the floor" with Union.

Cornell didn't play badly on Saturday, and in fact had some excellent chances early that may have changed the complexion of the game. But Harvard is a tremendous team this year and are deserved ECAC champs.

Dutchman's cutting remarks notwithstanding, while the Big Red doesn't have as much high-end skill as Harvard--very few teams do--it has plenty enough talent to give just about any team a good battle. We were the 3rd-highest scoring team in the ECAC this season, and have the best scoring balance we've seen at Cornell in many years.

Comment

If you want to see Cornell at it's best, watch the tape from last Friday when the Big Red "wiped the floor" with Union in Lake Placid.

Dutchman's cutting comments notwithstanding, Cornell may not match the skill level of Harvard--very few teams this year do--but the Big Red has plenty of skill and grit and was the 3rd highest scoring team in the ECAC. The biggest difference for Cornell this year has been the depth of scoring across all four lines, and much better offensive support from the blue line. In most recent years we've had at best two lines that could put the puck in the net.

Comment

Some initial side-by-side comparisons between Lowell and Cornell:

Offense - Lowell 3.69 goals per game (6th in nation)/Cornell 2.91 goals per game (31st in nation)
        Defense - Lowell 2.36 goals allowed (13th in nation)/Cornell 2.24 goals allowed (8th in nation - tied with Notre Dame)
        Power Play - Lowell 27.06% (3rd in nation)/Cornell 17.76% (33rd in nation)
        PK - Lowell 85.6% (10th in nation)/Cornell 83% (27th in nation)
        Hockey East Tournament Champions - 2013, 2014, 2017
        Hockey East Regular Season Champions - 2013, 2017
        Frozen Four - 2013

Charter member of Darin's "UML Seven"

Gooooooooooooo....Rivermen!

Comment

Re: Dartmouth Hockey 2016-17 Season

Quote Originally Posted by Middle Street View Post

BIG Green, having seen both UML and Cornell this season, do you have any thoughts on that match up for this coming weekend?

FYI, and Good Luck!

UML and Harvard were the two most offensively explosiveness teams we have seen. I believe Harvard has more overall depth top to bottom. The PP on these teams were lethal. UML works for the one-timer on the weakside, mostly off the right hand circle with a leftie shot. The finishes on thse one-timers were of NHL-caliber, bar-down and hard, our goalie had no chance. I do remember that UML was predominantly lefties and CJ Smith and Gambardella were outstanding. You guys can get up and down with speed and skill. Whereas Cornell has a really BIG team, kind of lumbering so they like to play down low on O and win board battles and scrums in front of the net. So we have two different styles of play...whichever team imposes their style will win. If I were a betting man and I picked Cornell losing to Harvard in the ECAC final, I would say UML takes this one 4-2, too much fire power, the same kind that Harvard gave Cornell fits to.

Comment

• Originally posted by BIG Green View Post
            Re: Dartmouth Hockey 2016-17 Season

Quote Originally Posted by Middle Street View Post

BIG Green, having seen both UML and Cornell this season, do you have any thoughts on that match up for this coming weekend?

FYI, and Good Luck!

UML and Harvard were the two most offensively explosiveness teams we have seen. I believe Harvard has more overall depth top to bottom. The PP on these teams were lethal. UML works for the one-timer on the weakside, mostly off the right hand circle with a leftie shot. The finishes on thse one-timers were of NHL-caliber, bar-down and hard, our goalie had no chance. I do remember that UML was predominantly lefties and CJ Smith and Gambardella were outstanding. You guys can get up and down with speed and skill. Whereas Cornell has a really BIG team, kind of lumbering so they like to play down low on O and win board battles and scrums in front of the net. So we have two different styles of play...whichever team imposes their style will win. If I were a betting man and I picked Cornell losing to Harvard in the ECAC final, I would say UML takes this one 4-2, too much fire power, the same kind that Harvard gave Cornell fits to.
            Thank you!

Comment

Cornell isn't even at full strength on defense. Three of their regular defenders are out (one of whom hasn't played a single game this year and another thanks to a certain Union player ).

Comment

Serious thanks to all those that have told us a bit about Cornell. Having seen them once (ever), it's really appreciated.
                Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
                2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
                2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
                2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
                2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

• Would be great to be a student again. UML student deal for Manchester regional is $40 and includes a ticket and round trip bus for both days. Good for Lowell!
                  Hockey East Tournament Champions - 2013, 2014, 2017
                  Hockey East Regular Season Champions - 2013, 2017
                  Frozen Four - 2013

Charter member of Darin's "UML Seven"

Gooooooooooooo....Rivermen!

Comment

• Originally posted by riverchief1 View Post
                    Would be great to be a student again. UML student deal for Manchester regional is $40 and includes a ticket and round trip bus for both days. Good for Lowell!
                    Great deals

Comment

Re: parking on Saturday - not sure if this is a good idea or not, but I am thinking of parking near the Skyzone. Seems to be just far enough away from the 1/2 marathon route and the arena (~1 mile walk). This would avoid having to deal with the Rte 293 exit ramps which can be hideous.
                      University of Lowell, 1987

Comment

Originally posted by BostonSoccerDad View Post
                        Re: parking on Saturday - not sure if this is a good idea or not, but I am thinking of parking near the Skyzone. Seems to be just far enough away from the 1/2 marathon route and the arena (~1 mile walk). This would avoid having to deal with the Rte 293 exit ramps which can be hideous.
                        It is supposed to be raining (just wanted to let you know - in 2015 it was MISERABLE and FREEZING COLD and I had to walk a couple of miles...of course, I was sick too so that didn't help).

Comment

With all of this parking/traffic hassle, maybe we would have been better off going to Fargo?

Comment

• Originally posted by Middle Street View Post
                            With all of this parking/traffic hassle, maybe we would have been better off going to Fargo?
                            Now let's not get ridiculous!!!

Comment

Besides only a few would even be able to get tickets...

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
                                Besides only a few would even be able to get tickets...
                                Yeah there definitely wouldn't have been any "additional allotment".

Comment

Working...
                                X