X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston University 2011-2012: Part The Sixth

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
    Um, what part of my post that backed you up 100% did not come through? There were no rolling eyes smiley or anything to indicate that I did nothing but agree with your post in its entirety. I saw that goal happen as if it were in slow motion and literally felt how it basically sucked all the air out the BU fanbase and saw exactly what you just said - that it stunned BU. The change in atmosphere was palpable. I may not agree with most of what you post but you were spot on with that one.
    Sorry, I misinterpreted what you wrote. I most likely assumed that it was sarcastic given the history of responses to my posts... My mistake. I forget how much we rely upon the emoticons where there are no verbal cues to go by...

Comment

Originally posted by Onion Man View Post
      Wasn't Sean Fields the goalie who embellished all his glove saves? He was pretty good, but Curry was better. Neither were as good as Yan Danis.
      Fields was a bit of a hybrid goalie rather than a pure butterfly type. Hybrids tend to hold their gloves lower and thus have an upward, arching, sweeping motion on many glove saves, which can look like embellishment. Whether Fields embellished or not, he had one hell of a glove.

As for your prediction, it's a good thing that Brown's motto is "In Deo Speramus" because it's gonna take a whole lot of "speramus" for the Bears to win it all in 2013.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Marchaud View Post
        Fields was a bit of a hybrid goalie rather than a pure butterfly type. Hybrids tend to hold their gloves lower and thus have an upward, arching, sweeping motion on many glove saves, which can look like embellishment. Whether Fields embellished or not, he had one hell of a glove.

As for your prediction, it's a good thing that Brown's motto is "In Deo Speramus" because it's gonna take a whole lot of "speramus" for the Bears to win it all in 2013.
        remember at the end of game three when bu beat the #1 seeded igles at conte? fields turned to face the silent student section and arched his back and spread his arms....

man, that season s u c k e d.

--though that was a bigger game than any cory ever won
        a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Keep spinning mook, keep spinning

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
            I thought curry should have been rotated. My preference is to have competition and keep them fresh and not overworked. Curry played too many minutes for my liking. If Bennett had a chance to play more perhaps he would have turned into the abortion that he became once the job was given to him.
            Originally posted by Guy Marchaud View Post
            Agree about the rotation.
            Have to say I disagree on the rotation those years... in theory yeah would be nice to give the goalie a little rest... but at the same time I think it is safe to assume that the coaching staff is looking at what they see in practice and deciding what to do for games based on that. If you can't do it in practice, I sure don't think you can do it in games... I'm not sure that 4 or 5 games his frist year would have helped Bennett... i mean he had a whole season to improve once the job was his and never did (see Parker Milner for an example of someone who started off bad but improved all year). Also dont confuse injury with fatigue. Curry tore his labrum (an acute injury... not so much fatigue over the course of the year).

Comment

Not to get into a John Curry vs. Cory Schneider debate; but I think Curry's emergence, early in the 2004-05 season was so important to BU's program. Think about what was going on there at that time:

1999: Finish 5th in Hockey East
              2001: Finish 6th in Hockey East
              2003: Finish 5th in Hockey East
              2004: Finish 8th in Hockey East

Being on the road, in the Hockey East quarterfinals in four of six years, was not good for BU.

They start out that season losing to Miami 5-1 (down 5-0 at one point, with Stephan Siwiec in net) and losing to Michigan 7-2 (down 7-0 at one point, with Karson Gillespie giving up 7 goals on 19 shots). If Curry had not taken the job, who knows where that season may have gone to. It's not like they were an offensive powerhouse that could outscore other teams-- David Van der Gulik was their leading scorer with 31 points.

Again, I'm not trying to debate, just making a point that Curry's emergence was enormous for that program. Not only for the years he was starting, but for the guys they recruited for the 2008-09 team. Maybe some of those kids have second thoughts about going to BU if they continued the trend of being on the road for HE quarterfinal series'. No way to ever quantify this, just something to think about.

Comment

If you're specifically referring to this year, Milner actually started off pretty well, went through a bad stretch and then went on a run unmatched by any BC goalie I've ever seen.

Comment

remember at the end of game three when bu beat the #1 seeded igles at conte? fields turned to face the silent student section and arched his back and spread his arms....

That season may have stunk, but the back to back weekends of beating UNH in OT just to get into the playoffs (at the Whit no less) and then stunning the Eagles with the #8 vs. #1 win (Eric Thomassian with a huge goal in game three), made for some pretty awesome memories. I think that was the year we lost 1-0 to Howard and the Black Bears in the semis, right?
                  BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

Originally posted by Boston22 View Post
                    Not to get into a John Curry vs. Cory Schneider debate;....

i always recall parker talking about the decision whom to start that 3rd game of the season. after practice he asked gera if curry was in fact the guy to go to for that game. gera said, "i'm not sure if he's a #1 goalie, but he is our #1 goalie".

Comment

*****http://t-shirtguru.com/product-images/participation-ribbon-t-shirt-bustedtees-2.jpg******
                      “Unless you’re Boston College, you don’t get here every year.”

Pinhead Nation: "gone" but not forgotten

Originally posted by shrader
                      Admin, do you still hate BC? If not, will darin and MAV ever be freed? If you do still hate BC, why is SteveF allowed to post?
                      Hockey East Champions: 1987, 1990, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012
                      National Champions: 1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012

Comment

Originally posted by SteveF View Post
                        *****http://t-shirtguru.com/product-images/participation-ribbon-t-shirt-bustedtees-2.jpg******
                        this is more than that team deserved. but thanks.

Comment

It was good seeing the Flyers complete the comeback tonight, eh mookie?

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                            It was good seeing the Flyers complete the comeback tonight, eh mookie?
                            thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Boston22 View Post
                              Not to get into a John Curry vs. Cory Schneider debate; but I think Curry's emergence, early in the 2004-05 season was so important to BU's program. Think about what was going on there at that time:

1999: Finish 5th in Hockey East
                              2001: Finish 6th in Hockey East
                              2003: Finish 5th in Hockey East
                              2004: Finish 8th in Hockey East

Being on the road, in the Hockey East quarterfinals in four of six years, was not good for BU.

They start out that season losing to Miami 5-1 (down 5-0 at one point, with Stephan Siwiec in net) and losing to Michigan 7-2 (down 7-0 at one point, with Karson Gillespie giving up 7 goals on 19 shots). If Curry had not taken the job, who knows where that season may have gone to. It's not like they were an offensive powerhouse that could outscore other teams-- David Van der Gulik was their leading scorer with 31 points.

Again, I'm not trying to debate, just making a point that Curry's emergence was enormous for that program. Not only for the years he was starting, but for the guys they recruited for the 2008-09 team. Maybe some of those kids have second thoughts about going to BU if they continued the trend of being on the road for HE quarterfinal series'. No way to ever quantify this, just something to think about.
                              I always felt he saved the program as we know it (such as it is). As you said, those teams couldn't score. Somebody reaching 30 points was a good year. Had Stephan Siwiec-Tapp been the starter, it would have been yet another losing season. Furthermore, they would have gotten smoked in the Agganis opener (which was like a one goal win I thought vs Minny). Worse, the following year without Curry there was no, and I mean no way they win the HE title. The second half of that game was a shooting gallery in our end until the freshman line broke in the other way on Schnieder I believe who'd fallen asleep at that point from lack of play in his end. So you'd have a decade without a HE title, no hope for improvement and most likely recruits and current players bailing on the program. All the while Parker would be oblivious that there was a problem as he settled in for another 20 years of coaching. The BU program owes a bid debt of gratitude to Curry. Its too bad he didn't come along one year later and been able to win the championship in 09.
                              Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

thanks
                                :d
                                Originally posted by mookie1995
                                bc is superior to bu in nearly everything. while it is sad that it has come to it, it's the truth. if bu doesn't like it, improve.
                                Rep from Hokydad -"and your an old never been piece of ****"

Originally Posted by Dirty
                                Why is anyone surprised that Old Pio is acting like a grumpy old f^ck? He is a grumpy old f^ck.

Comment

Working...
                                X