#5 Minnesota @ #2 Wisconsin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: #5 Minnesota @ #2 Wisconsin

Badgers convert on a late power play to win 4-0. Not surprised at which team won, but I was hoping for a more closely contested game.

Good second half push by the Gophers, but a disappointing last game to end the season.
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Hmmmmm, bad refs, bad fans, balding student section equals sour grapes.

"Scoreboard"
      "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
        Hmmmmm, bad refs, bad fans, balding student section equals sour grapes.

"Scoreboard"
        Yeah. Noweheresville is distraught at the game's outcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Still Eeyore View Post
          The best crew in the WCHA just called a penalty on Minnesota, but let us skate the puck all the way down the ice before blowing the whistle. These guys are embarrassingly bad.

Peters was most of the way to her bench. What the H would they have done in Wisconsin had scored in that interim?

Comment

It was a pleasure to meet Robert Earle. Now, don't screw this up next week.

Comment

Originally posted by robertearle View Post
              Peters was most of the way to her bench. What the H would they have done in Wisconsin had scored in that interim?
              Count the goal. Brad Shepherd did the same thing in the 2004 WCHA Final, when Jody Horak was skating to bench because the arm went up while the Gophers were skating with the puck and stayed up -- even after UMD got the puck and put it into the empty net.
              "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
              And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by Still Eeyore View Post
                It was a pleasure to meet Robert Earle. Now, don't screw this up next week.
                I have discovered over the years that what I hope for has very little to do with what ends up happening. But I will do my best.

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                  Count the goal. Brad Shepherd did the same thing in the 2004 WCHA Final, when Jody Horak was skating to bench because the arm went up while the Gophers were skating with the puck and stayed up -- even after UMD got the puck and put it into the empty net.
                  Was there ever an explanation for what happened ? I still remember that stupid call.
                  Last edited by ne7minder; 03-10-2018, 05:29 PM.

Comment

The only really disappointing part of the game was that it was never close and the outcome was not in doubt early. Wisconsin played as well as any team we have seen and the Gophers never got out of the starting blocks.

Closest they came to getting a goal was when Baldwin tried to tip a loose puck in the crease but Peters made a great save to deny Wisconsin a freebie.

Still hoping for an all WCHA final next Sunday
                    Last edited by ne7minder; 03-10-2018, 06:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
                      Was there ever an explanation fir what happened ? I still remember that stupid call.
                      It wasn't the only time he did that to the Gophs, just the only time that a goal resulted. I think there were just too many moving parts for the young Shepherd to keep track.
                      "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                      And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                        It wasn't the only time he did that to the Gophs, just the only time that a goal resulted. I think there were just too many moving parts for the young Shepherd to keep track.
                        Young Brad did tend to lose track of a "sheep" now and then, but I seem to remember the other Shephard's losing sight of entire flocks.

About a dozen Gopher fans and one very happy Badger fan watched the game in a room at Joe Sensor's (with audio no less) and the common reaction to the penalty call was, "What the .... just happened there?"
                        Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 03-10-2018, 06:01 PM. Reason: What's that confused shepherd doing over there?
                        "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                          In all the years....I can't remember ever seeing that before.
                          That was just unbelievable. If it had been a closer game, it might have made a difference. What if the Gophers had pulled the goalie?

Comment

Gophers with one (1) SOG in the third period. I think they used up all their reserves of energy last week.

Comment

Originally posted by CTR View Post
                              Gophers with one (1) SOG in the third period. I think they used up all their reserves of energy last week.
                              I don't want to dwell on it, but this game reminded me of the 8-2 shellacking they took in Madison last season. We were never really in it and Wisconsin was in total control from the beginning.
                              Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by CTR View Post
                                That was just unbelievable. If it had been a closer game, it might have made a difference. What if the Gophers had pulled the goalie?
                                If they had pulled Peters WI would have scored again. They were never in control of the game at any time. Even on the PP they could not hold the zone of rany useful length of time.

I think MN had to win last week & Wi did not. Both teams played like it. This week both teams needed to win & WI played better.

Comment

Working...
                                X