Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: REPORT: North Dakota cutting women's hockey

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
    Yeah, interesting apart from some meaningless comments from Berlo.

What causes UW to spend so much more than everyone else?
    I find it interesting that the bottom three teams in the WCHA are the three teams that spend the least amount in the league. What is it that the bottom three are saving money on? Trainers? Better Equipment? Old Buses? Better Food? Coaches on more recruiting trips? Charter Airplane flights? Maybe the other teams have the open checkbook and win at all cost? In this case the facts show you get what you pay for. Lets make the league great again

Comment

Originally posted by vicb View Post
      And look what they received from their spending.
      More titles than Clarkson.....
      Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
      Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
      "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
      Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

• Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
        Yeah, interesting apart from some meaningless comments from Berlo.

What causes UW to spend so much more than everyone else?
        How do they travel vs rest of WCHA? Finding Potsdam can be an expensive undertaking.

Does Badger Mark make more than the rest of the WCHA?
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids
        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
          How do they travel vs rest of WCHA? Finding Potsdam can be an expensive undertaking.

Does Badger Mark make more than the rest of the WCHA?
          Badger Mark makes $272,222 in salary. In 2015 Rodent Frosty made $220,115.

The disparity between UW's and UM's is shocking. I can't believe UM is so cheap with women's hockey.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
            The disparity between UW's and UM's is shocking. I can't believe UM is so cheap with women's hockey.
            ..teehee

Comment

More titles than Clarkson.....
              Not recently .
              Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
              And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
              WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
              If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

• Originally posted by brokentwig View Post
                I find it interesting that the bottom three teams in the WCHA are the three teams that spend the least amount in the league. What is it that the bottom three are saving money on? Trainers? Better Equipment? Old Buses? Better Food? Coaches on more recruiting trips? Charter Airplane flights? Maybe the other teams have the open checkbook and win at all cost? In this case the facts show you get what you pay for. Lets make the league great again
                Just wondering about some things ...
                When a state school like UW offers an out of state player a scholarship they are responsible for the out of state tuition, correct? So rostering more out of state players is more expensive? And what about the cost of attendance scholarships? I'm assuming scholarship $ goes towards these operating budget numbers? Schools with primarily in-state players have a smaller amount to play for scholarships, right?
                Also look at some recent non-conference games/trips UW took...California, Colorado, etc. Pretty expensive.
                Wondering if Coach Johnson's salary is endowed, like some coaches at other (private) schools. Is that possible as a state employee? Curious.
                All I can say is thank God the Badger football & basketball teams have been killing it in recent years, and the Athletic Dept has the money to spend on women's hockey!

Comment

Rodent Frosty
                  That's an interesting visual...Is that flavor now available at Wendy's?
                  At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Badger Mark makes $272,222 in salary. In 2015 Rodent Frosty made $220,115.

There appears to be a salary level that, when exceeded, prevents National Championships. I would suggest that UW should lower MJ's salary below that level.

Comment

A number of good points that could have been answered if the reporter had bothered to request the latest NCAA Financial report from each school instead of just using the limited EADA information. Furthermore, the EADA reports have different accounting reuirements than the NCAA reports (see “Chapter 5: Reports Submitted by Athletics Departments” of Financial Reporting in Division I College Athletics, a thesis by Anish Sharma) so that sometimes the reported expenses in the EADA are different (usually lower) than the reported expenses in the NCAA reports. In the case of the eight WCHA teams this is true for 6 of 7 of the teams for which I have the NCAA Financials (I’m still waiting for the reports from St. Cloud State).

So, looking at Wisconsin where did they spend that money on? Over $1 million was on athletic aid, the highest amount in the WCHA for 2016 and double what Minnesota spent. In fact only Ohio State was close, at just over $993 thousand, with North Dakota in third at just over $511 thousand. Wisconsin also has the highest total compensation paid to coaches ($563,450) and at over $139 thousand, the team’s support and administrative staff (double the next highest two, UMD & UND). UW has the second highest recruiting budget at nearly $51 thousand and the highest travel budget, at over $407 thousand. The next big expenses are the debt service on LaBahn Arena at over $304 thousand and another $85 thousand on direct overhead for maintenance.

What I don’t see in the reports is where each school has paid to support the women’s WCHA. According to the article the annual budget is about $700 thousand and 80% to 85% is paid for by the schools. That would be $87,500 each at 100% support and $70,000-$74,375 each at 80%-85%. What I see is UMD having $40,000 and UND having $60,000 under membership and dues for 2016, but nothing similar for the other 5 schools. It is likely that the money is being accounted for out of non-specific expenses (for example, OSU reported $287,513 in memberships, dues and fees not related to specific teams) for most of the schools. Furthermore it appears that the schools are not supporting the league equally.

As for the additional expense per school, now that UND as dropped women's hockey, having to support the league at 100% the additional amount would be about $12,500 for each of the 7 remaining schools and $10,000-$10,625 at 80%-85%. While not a drop in the bucket, that is about 1% of Bemidji's reported women’s ice hockey expenses and less than 1/5 of 1% of Bemidji’s overall 2016 athletic budget of just over $7.3 million (the smallest of the 7) and nearly a rounding error for Ohio State’s overall 2016 athletic budget of almost $167 million.

Speaking of rounding errors, earlier in this thread Sicatoka called the women’s hockey budgets for the B1G schools rounding errors:

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
                      The western schools that offer women's hockey seem to now fall into two categories:
                      • B1Gs with budgets so large that losing a couple million on WIH is a rounding error (UMn, UWi, OSU)
                      • DIIs (e.g. Northern Sun teams UMD, MSU-Mankato, SCSU, and Bemidji State) playing up (so the rest of the budget is quite mild and manageable)
                      While not true, they are very small percentages of each school’s overall athletic budgets. As for UND and the other schools in the WCHA women’s hockey is a more noticeable percentage of the overall athletic budget:
                      school – average percentage of overall athletic budget (2010-16)
                      Ohio State – 1.1%
                      Minnesota – 1.8%
                      Wisconsin – 3.8%
                      North Dakota – 6.3%
                      Minnesota State – 8.7%
                      St. Cloud State – 10.4%*
                      Bemidji State – 15.5%
                      Minnesota-Duluth – 17.2%

Regarding coaches total compensation, in 2016 Coach Frost received $320,998 and Coach Johnson received $339,408, quite a bit higher and closer than just their salaries.

Sean

* Used EADA reported expenses which may be different from NCAA reported expenses
                      Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                      Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                      BU Hockey highlights and extras
                      NCAA Hockey Financials
                      Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                      I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

I can't believe UM is so cheap with women's hockey.
                        I can't believe how much money UW wastes, with less to show for it.
                        Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
                          So, looking at Wisconsin where did they spend that money on? Over $1 million was on athletic aid, the highest amount in the WCHA for 2016 and double what Minnesota spent. In fact only Ohio State was close, at just over $993 thousand, with North Dakota in third at just over $511 thousand.
                          Sean, about a year ago there was a discussion about schools going to "real cost" scholarships. IIRC, scholarships are now covering travel costs for student athletes getting to/from home and school. For UND with all their European players, that could have become a significant number that they were not anticipating (although I suspect they may have been helping their athletes with that cost already). You should also point out that most of the "cost" of a scholarship is just funny money - an accounting entry passing money among the various parts of the university with no real outlay.

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                            I can't believe how much money UW wastes, with less to show for it.
                            I guess 2 league regular season and 2 league tourney titles in the last 2 years isn't much to show for.

Comment

I know Minnesota schools give reciprocity regarding tuition to neighboring states. Does Wisconsin do the same thing?
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids
                              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
                                I know Minnesota schools give reciprocity regarding tuition to neighboring states. Does Wisconsin do the same thing?
                                Yes. Minnesota and Wisconsin give reciprocity to each other. Residents of those two states pay resident tuition fees whether they attend school in Minnesota or Wisconsin.

My niece, living in the Twin Cities, attended school at UW-Stevens Point, and paid the resident costs.
                                Russell Jaslow
                                [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                                U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Working...
                                X