Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The PPACA Thread Part IV - Repeal & Replace, or Something...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The PPACA Thread Part IV - Repeal & Replace, or Something...

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
    In contrast, my family member has over 300k of debt racked up and he still has a year long fellowship to do. His loans will be higher than a Mortgage for years.
    Lots of schools have costs over 4 years greater than a mortgage. A friend of mine has a daughter trying to get a field hockey scholarship. She told me Quinnipiac was 62 grand a year. Thats crazy. At least your family member will be able to pay that off.
    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

• Originally posted by walrus View Post
      Lots of schools have costs over 4 years greater than a mortgage. A friend of mine has a daughter trying to get a field hockey scholarship. She told me Quinnipiac was 62 grand a year. Thats crazy. At least your family member will be able to pay that off.
      CoA at a lot of Northeast colleges is over $60K. FYI, I believe Clarkson is $62K.
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids
      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
        CoA at a lot of Northeast colleges is over $60K. FYI, I believe Clarkson is $62K.
        My sons debt is 160 grand from Embry Riddle. Without scholarships it would have been 250,000. He also graduated in 3 years so add in another year and that goes up. But thats flying along with tuition.

Comment

• Originally posted by walrus View Post
          My sons debt is 160 grand from Embry Riddle. Without scholarships it would have been 250,000. He also graduated in 3 years so add in another year and that goes up. But thats flying along with tuition.
          I'm very sorry to hear that. Knowing what I know now, well over a decade past my initial pipe dream to be an airline pilot, I would never allow any future kid of mine to get swindled by Embry. Even out of state tuition at ND, Bowling Green, or Western Michigan is more reasonable, and ultimately has the same cachet among the airlines. A friend of mine went though BG's program, and ended up getting hired by United, but only after doing the requisite period as an instructor for slave wages, and then about 3 years at one of their regional subsidiaries, XpressJet. If you don't have flight hours, you start at the bottom, period. Embry is the Michigan of the aviation world - "We're so special".

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
            I'm very sorry to hear that. Knowing what I know now, well over a decade past my initial pipe dream to be an airline pilot, I would never allow any future kid of mine to get swindled by Embry. Even out of state tuition at ND, Bowling Green, or Western Michigan is more reasonable, and ultimately has the same cachet among the airlines. A friend of mine went though BG's program, and ended up getting hired by United, but only after doing the requisite period as an instructor for slave wages, and then about 3 years at one of their regional subsidiaries, XpressJet. If you don't have flight hours, you start at the bottom, period. Embry is the Michigan of the aviation world - "We're so special".
            Embry is also a school of connections. I have no doubt he got what he wanted out of it. He took it seriously and is trying to get his hours. He should have his hours by June. Endeavour is already calling him and that's where he wants to work.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

I also have a distant cousin who is 2 years into Western's program, and another cousin who did Embry, and is now in airport ops management. Going to be interesting to see if WMU's Port Charlotte, FL campus will steal Embry students looking for sunshine.

Comment

If you go to work in underserved areas, many states have loan forgiveness programs for doctors.
                Code:
                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                Originally posted by SanTropez
                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                Originally posted by Kepler
                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                  If you go to work in underserved areas, many states have loan forgiveness programs for doctors.
                  Yes, but that requires altruistic doctors who are willing to live in East Bumblefart, Middle America. Good luck with that.

Comment

Yes, but that requires altruistic doctors who are willing to live in East Bumblefart, Middle America. Good luck with that.
                    what's wrong with being dr beeper at bushwood cc?!?!!?
                    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Inner cities are also considered underserved in many communities.
                      Code:
                      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                        Inner cities are also considered underserved in many communities.
                        You're right. There I go with my white privilege.

Comment

You would be surprised the amount of hospitals that count for the 10 year loan forgiveness. For example, The Cleveland Clinic counts.

Now you do need to be making payments on your loans (usually in a Pay-As-You-Earn program because that is about all you can afford when you are in residency). You need to make 10 years of payments (non-consecutive). There are several kickers, however. You cannot sign up for the program, there is no guarantee. You can only apply after the 10 years of payments and this is actually the first year people are applicable (for the federal program). This program depends on the politics of the time because there is no guarantee that it will be available 10 years from now.

Some people are finding out that they thought they were working for applicable programs but when they apply, they are denied.
                          http://www.npr.org/sections/ed/2017/...bt-forgiveness

There are also proposals of limiting the amount of forgiveness (which most doctors, myself included, have 200,000 plus in loans just from medical school). There is also uncertainty if the forgiveness will be taxed as income.

So overall, there are programs, but there is a lot of questions and uncertainty especially in the current political climate.
                          In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Originally posted by burd
                          I look at some people and I just know they do it doggy style. No way they're getting close to my kids.

Comment

You're right. There I go with my white privilege.
                            Hahaha. Yeah. You should check that.

Code:

Comment

• Originally posted by WisconsinWildcard View Post
                              You would be surprised the amount of hospitals that count for the 10 year loan forgiveness. For example, The Cleveland Clinic counts.

Now you do need to be making payments on your loans (usually in a Pay-As-You-Earn program because that is about all you can afford when you are in residency). You need to make 10 years of payments (non-consecutive). There are several kickers, however. You cannot sign up for the program, there is no guarantee. You can only apply after the 10 years of payments and this is actually the first year people are applicable (for the federal program). This program depends on the politics of the time because there is no guarantee that it will be available 10 years from now.

Some people are finding out that they thought they were working for applicable programs but when they apply, they are denied.
                              http://www.npr.org/sections/ed/2017/...bt-forgiveness

There are also proposals of limiting the amount of forgiveness (which most doctors, myself included, have 200,000 plus in loans just from medical school). There is also uncertainty if the forgiveness will be taxed as income.

So overall, there are programs, but there is a lot of questions and uncertainty especially in the current political climate.
                              The public interest loan forgiveness program will be tax free, they've said that repeatedly. But as you said, they could potentially pull the rug out from under us. My wife is about 7.5 years into her job as a public defender. We're both worried they'll see how much they've paid out the first two years and pull the plug when she's at 9.5 or so years.

Now, if they're smart, even if they change it they limit changes to new grads. I read an article from some right wing think tank that hates PILF, and even they said any changes should not be made retroactive and affect people who have been counting on it.
                              Last edited by unofan; 05-06-2017, 07:43 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                                Just head to an ER, he's right
                                Didn't know you can get chemo at the ER

Comment

Working...
                                X