X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Elmira College Soaring Eagles 2010-2011 Season Thread

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
    Who says your opinion means bunk??!!

We need some chatter about this team. I'm curious about the freshmen and transfers looked. Some of the freshmen had some pretty impressive stats and honors in Juniors.

I guess I'll just have to wait to get my fill on Friday since no one is going to utter a peep?
    So you planning on attending in Purple, Green or Maroon? Maybe you could wear gold
    2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
    2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
    2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
    2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

He might end up looking like Grimace.
      FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Opinions are like...

Who says your opinion means bunk??!!
        Who says my opinion means “bunk”? Only the single most important person to evaluate that opinion... me. (Well, me and “the wife”!).

But seriously, I try to keep my posts free of opinion and stick to that which is fact, sometimes failing miserably. Therefore I preface all following comments by stating a simple fact that I am not a hockey professional, so one could argue that I would not recognize true talent if it were walk-up and pee on my leg. (For those with talent, please do not pee on my leg.)

One statement I made to the Coaching staff this weekend was “I do not envy your position.” There was a ton of talent on the ice, and to pick and choose from that pool of players was certainly not an easy task. My picks do not fully comply with the roster that is up, but that’s why they get the big check and I don’t. Do not ask whom I would have picked, as I will not honor those requests. I respect the Coaches decisions, as they are sure to have more merit than my opinions based on very limited exposure.

As I’m sure many know, fielding a team is based on more than just talent alone. Adaptation to a certain “culture” or “system”, attitude, willingness to learn, personalities (or lack thereof), amongst many other factors come into play. None of which I am privy to. Saul has a history of “proper utilization” of the players he has to work with, and this year much like last year... he has a very talented pool of players to work with.

As for the ‘coup de grille’, some of the returning players appeared to have added another 10mph to their speed from last year. But this was essentially a pick-up game. How the Coaching staff utilizes the players on a regular basis, or in specific situations, may not back-up this observation. Some of the goalies let in more rubber than a Vegas hooker. How the Coaching staff deploys the defense can certainly prevent that from occurring.

I look forward to another great year for Elmira College, and will enjoy watching this group of players evolve. The upcoming Oswego weekend will definitely be a good test for this team, with an entire season full of challenges.

As I have said for many years regarding teams in the ECAC West in absence of an autobid - the NCAA tournament begins NOW... every game is a playoff game. This team has the depth and potential to succeed.

See you this weekend???
        Last edited by Transplanted Tiger Fan; 10-18-2010, 04:29 PM.
        Dave
        RIT - '90

Comment

Re: Opinions are like...

Originally posted by Transplanted Tiger Fan View Post
          See you this weekend???
          Only if you're headed to the Campus Center on Friday.
          The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
          "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
          GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
          GO LAKERS!!!
          GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
          "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
          Oswego State '09

Comment

i was at all three games. this is by far the deepest team EC has had in a while. The team now has size and speed so this year should be interesting and a lot of fun to watch.

Eamon Lynch 2 games, 0 goals, 1 assist
            Andrew Wilcox 28 games, 10 goals, 5 assists
            Ryan Jarrell 19 games, 1 goal, 3 assists
            Jack Day 20 games, 1 goal, 0 assists
            Gene Falsetto 6 games, 0 goals, 0 assists
            Brice Crook 6 games, 0 goals, 1 assist
            Ryan Davidson 22 games, 0 goals, 5 assists

Andrew Wilcox transferred before school even started this year.
            Gene Falsetto graduated
            Jarrell, Day, Crook, Davidson, and Lynch were all moved down to JV.
            Lets Go EC!

Comment

Where did Wilcox transfer?

Thanks for the update!

How did the freshmen and transfers look?
              GO LAKERS!!!
              "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
              Oswego State '09

Comment

I have grown up watching Elmira College hockey and this has to be the deepest team they have had in the past 15 years at least... The new boys looked good during the coupe and it will be exciting to watch them develop and become better players along with a better team. I will be in Oswego friday and then back in Elmira for the game saturday im looking forward to my busy and exciting weekend
                Lets Go EC!

Comment

i do not know where wilcox went i think he is still d3 but out west now maybe somehwere in wisconsin?
                  Lets Go EC!

Comment

Originally posted by letsgoec View Post
                    I have grown up watching Elmira College hockey and this has to be the deepest team they have had in the past 15 years at least... The new boys looked good during the coupe and it will be exciting to watch them develop and become better players along with a better team. I will be in Oswego friday and then back in Elmira for the game saturday im looking forward to my busy and exciting weekend
                    Greene's Ale House....5 p.m.
                    GO LAKERS!!!
                    Oswego State '09

Comment

I cant i will be with the team helping them get ready
                      Lets Go EC!

Comment

Originally posted by letsgoec View Post
                        I cant i will be with the team helping them get ready
                        Equipment manager or trainer eh?
                        GO LAKERS!!!
                        Oswego State '09

Comment

equipment manager
                          Lets Go EC!

Comment

the Coup de Grille on Friday
                            :You'll have to enlighten me, I attended the very first EC hockey game, and have no clue what a Coupe de Grille is.

Comment

Originally posted by elbojpb View Post
                              :You'll have to enlighten me, I attended the very first EC hockey game, and have no clue what a Coupe de Grille is.
                              I believe (someone can correct me if I'm wrong) the Coup de Grille was created a few years (maybe even the year after) the official purple and gold game exhibition game was dropped. It's an intrasquad scrimmage the same way the purple and gold game was just not as official I believe.

It doesn't get any publicity and I'm pretty sure that 90% of what's left of the EC fanbase has no idea what it is. (and I barely do...Not trying to claim superior knowledge or anything)
                              GO LAKERS!!!
                              Oswego State '09

Comment

I, too, am sketchy at-best on the details, but I am pretty sure that the Coupe de Grille as it once was, is no more. To the best of my knowledge, there was not a similar game last year. Two years ago there was a blurb about its history on the "roster". I know someone has a copy of that blurb, but testing my feeble memory... I believe it went something like this...

There was a "trophy" that went-missing from prior years of the intersquad scrimmage (Purple and Gold game), which would go to the winning side for that game each year. When this trophy went missing (it was some obscure object, presumed to have been tossed by someone during a routine clean-up), the players, looking for something as a equivalent, removed a grill from a refrigerator in the locker room (or offices, can't recall). Pieces of athletic tape with the names of players (or just the captains) from the winning side were then placed on the grill for future squads to admire. This grill was paraded around the rink each year, hence the name "Coupe de Grille".

No grill paraded this year. I therefore suspect that the "Coupe de Grille" is indeed no more. Must have got a new refrigerator.
                                Dave
                                RIT - '90

Comment

Working...
                                X