Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: NC$$ Title: Clarkson vs Wisconsin

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
    Here's my opinion, Clarkson was simply better when it counted. They earned the win and deserve to be national champions.
    I agree completely.

Comment

Originally posted by robertearle View Post
      Driving in on Thursday, I saved a Chuck Berry greatest hits CD for the final hour of the drive so he'd be playing while I was entering "old St Lou".
      You're plugged in and forward thinking!

Comment

• Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
        I agree completely.
        Be still my heart...Edward Teach agrees with me! Lol.

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
          HockeyEast33, thanks for the support but we're both wasting our breath. Blackbeard is THE hockey expert and never wrong about anything.

Here's my opinion, Clarkson was simply better when it counted, from on-ice decisions to on-bench decisions. They earned the win and deserve to be national champions.

As shocking as it is for me to have some agreement with HE33 and Shelfit, I think this is correct. For Gopher fans who have seen way too much of Bemidji, Clarkson's performance was very similar to how Bemidji plays Minnesota. Very difficult to play against, especially when Bemidji gets the lead.

Credit goes to Clarkson for having their plan and going out and executing it.
          At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Couldn't solve their goaltender. Congratulations to Clarkson, 2017 NCAA Champions.

Comment

• Looks like Mercer was pacing herself on Friday knowing she'd be counted on in the big game today. On the ice for all 3 of Clarkson's goals, scoring the insurance marker and the empty netter, +2 on the day, and had 8 of her team's 20 shots on goal. That's a dominant performance by a team leader and a great hockey player! She and Tiley put their team on their backs and carried them to victory!

Comment

• Originally posted by Blue Line Badger View Post
                Couldn't solve their goaltender. Congratulations to Clarkson, 2017 NCAA Champions.
                So I just found this while surfing. North of the border today another green and gold women's team beat another red and white women's team 2-1 in double OT while being outshot 41-26 in their intercollegiate national championship. Same story apparently...green and gold goalie wasn't supposed to be as good as the red and white goalie. Check it out:

http://en.usports.ca/championships/wice/2017/releases/final

(sorry if this isn't a hyperlink...i'm doing this on my phone)

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
                  I was amused by the announcers, who seemed to know nothing about the history of women's college hockey.
                  Watrous completed her Providence career in 2007, so it's not like she hasn't been around the game. One thing I appreciated about her is that at least she was able to speak in complete sentences, something that AJ has yet to master, at least in terms of sentences that form a coherent thought. And she didn't spend the whole game promoting herself and her connections like Ellen Weinberg or whatever her name was.

I realize that it is difficult if one doesn't do a ton of announcing to say exactly what you want when the microphone goes live. It would be nice, however, if the color commentators that they find to do women's hockey would stick to saying things that have a lot of significance. E.g., when watching a game that has only one goal scored for the first 50 minutes, maybe make sure you know who exactly put the puck in the net. That might be nice to know. Beyond that, if you're filling with an amusing anecdote, stop talking as soon as you realize that a scoring chance is imminent and let the play by play resume.

All that said, it was nice to have a televised live broadcast of a women's game again.
                  "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                  And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                    Eeyore, I sure didn't see it that way at all. Wisconsin had more scoring opportunities than Clarkson but found all kinds of ways to not convert any of them. The shot total doesn't include the half-dozen or so close-in hard shots that sailed just wide of the post. It also doesn't include a number of times when the puck was loose in the crease, with Tiley not able to cover up, but no Badger being in the right spot to tuck it in.
                    I was sitting three rows behind the net Clarkson defended in the first and third period, and most of these chances you're referring to must have occurred during the second period, when I couldn't see Tiley's crease so well. At my end, Wisconsin put the puck through the crease a few times, but not in any way that someone could have knocked it in; the closest was one when Pankowski on the back door whiffed on the puck by about two feet. The only really good Badger scoring chance I remember was the one time someone followed Blackbeard's advice and tried to carry the puck across in close and drag Tiley open; she made a nice save to prevent it going through five hole. Beyond that, there just wasn't much that was dangerous. Several shots didn't go wide by much, but they didn't really beat Tiley; had they been on target, she was there to make the save.

And the Wisconsin power play was simply dreadful.

Comment

There are a lot of interesting takes on the game. As a Clarkson fan, let me add mine. In the first period and even into the second at times, UW was really frustrating Clarkson. Their system in the neutral zone reminded me of the old NJ Devils teams and you simply can't create any chances when you can't gain your blue line. Once the first goal was scored, Clarkson stayed their course while Wisconsin almost immediately became a desperate team. Oddly enough, this gave Clarkson some more possession time and gave Wisconsin less quality chances. They had a few times where they maintained puck possession in the offensive zone but they never created the opportunities and more importantly second chances that they did in the first period.

I remember thinking coming into this game that the one problem we'd have is that we had no answer for Nurse. Despite ARD being the best goaltender on the planet (possibly women's or men's), I liked the way that our ladies had been shooting in the last few weeks and I felt that we'd get 2 or 3 past her and that would at least keep us competitive. It turns out that we still had no answer for Nurse but her aim seemed to head right to Tiley's bread basket yesterday.

In 2014, I really felt that we stole a championship from the Gophers and that if we played a 7 game series against them, we'd lose in 5. This year, I feel like a 7 game series would have gone to game 7.
                      Clarkson Golden Knights Men
                      10 Time ECAC Regular Season Champs
                      5 Time ECAC Tournament Champs
                      21 NCAA Tournament Appearances

Undefeated - 1956

Clarkson Golden Knights Women
                      ECAC Regular Season Champs - 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018
                      ECAC Tournament Champs - 2017, 2018
                      7 NCAA Tournament Appearances

Frozen Four - 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018
                      National Champions - 2014, 2017, 2018

Comment

Cayley Mercer's 2nd goal made ESPN's Sports Center Top 10 at #10.
                        Personally I thought Savannah Harmons's goal was more Top 10 ish. Looking at the replay, she was behind the goal line, her stick and puck just on the other side and her shot was almost parallel to the net opening. Barely made it by the near post and struck the inside of the far post and net in the upper corner.
                        Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
                        And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
                        WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
                        If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

I agree with all the comments on the broadcasters! First off, like ARM it was great having the game live.......for Easterners, it is hard to watch a broadcast that only spans the Western bench, knows the Western players and as previously noted, no nothing about the Eastern team.......but at least it's getting better! After the NC game, I watched the NWHL game with Boston vs Buffalo for the Isobel Cup......I wish you all saw that game! Brianne McLaughlin was spectacular (60 saves)as she shutdown, almost, Boston with all it's scoring power! Point is the announcers for that game were good, especially the color woman......she knew her stuff and was heard when appropriate, so hopefully now with more games being broadcast and more opportunity for different talent to emerge, we all will be able to enjoy future broadcasts.....☺

Comment

Originally posted by FireKnight View Post
                            This year, I feel like a 7 game series would have gone to game 7.
                            I guess this is where I play the 'bad sport', because I went into yesterday thinking if these two play ten times, UW is going to win eight of them, and nothing happened yesterday to change that in my mind. Nurse is rarely going to come up empty on her multiple chances, Pankowski is rarely going to miss corners and redirects like she did, Clark is rarely going to miss corners like she did, and all of it happening on the same day is going to be all the rarer. Etc, etc, etc. The first goal came on a PP that I thought was a fairly weak call (pending a second look), the second when the UW defensemen had all but stopped playing any defense, and still nobody ever got three past Desbiens in a game this year.

So how do we get the NCAA to let the teams sort out which of us is correct?

Comment

It turns out that we still had no answer for Nurse but her aim seemed to head right to Tiley's bread basket yesterday.
                              No matter the opponent, it seems like Nurse winds up with at least a half dozen prime scoring chances a game. If her shot was as accurate as Pankowski's, then she'd be near unstoppable.

In 2014, I really felt that we stole a championship from the Gophers and that if we played a 7 game series against them, we'd lose in 5.
                              The Gophers' blue line wasn't as strong that season as it was in the years they won, and Clarkson did a nice job of exposing that. Leveille likely had the shakiest game of her career, but had she played better, the Golden Knights still had a very good chance of winning.
                              Last edited by ARM; 03-20-2017, 06:59 AM.
                              "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                              And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by robertearle View Post
                                I guess this is where I play the 'bad sport', because I went into yesterday thinking if these two play ten times, UW is going to win eight of them, and nothing happened yesterday to change that in my mind. Nurse is rarely going to come up empty on her multiple chances, Pankowski is rarely going to miss corners and redirects like she did, Clark is rarely going to miss corners like she did, and all of it happening on the same day is going to be all the rarer. Etc, etc, etc. The first goal came on a PP that I thought was a fairly weak call (pending a second look), the second when the UW defensemen had all but stopped playing any defense, and still nobody ever got three past Desbiens in a game this year.

So how do we get the NCAA to let the teams sort out which of us is correct?
                                We will never get the chance to see what would happen in any series other than the Badgers won the season series 2 to 1 but Clarkson won the one that counted.
                                A couple of other points:
                                Without taking time to look at all the teams in Div I, this Clarkson team I think is the only team on the women's side that was not shut out once this season. And in 3 games against Desbiens scored 5 goals (dismissing the empty net).
                                Clarkson started the season with Pezjlova centering Mercer and Bannon but later in the year Desrosiers dropped Pezjlova to the 2nd line with Vinkle and McGill and moved Gabel up to the first line. This really helped to get Gabel going on a goal scoring spree late in the season and playoffs. And on Mercers first goal Gabel made a great pass right on Mercers stick and she buried the clincher. Pezjlova's move to the 2nd line made that line more of a scoring threat that teams had to plan for. The third and 4th lines did what they had to do, spell the first 2 lines and not give up any goals.
                                Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
                                And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
                                WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
                                If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

Working...
                                X