Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: MSU Spartan Hockey - Episode VII - A New Hope

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
    A good friend of mine has a daughter on Team USA's softball team roster and he told me some years ago the he was convinced MSU's softball coach Jackie Joseph must have some dirt on somebody high up to be one of the worst coaches in the B1G but still keeps her job year after year.
    During the last season of the CCHA I asked Ron Mason why she's still around and was given some excuses I thought weren't very plausible but didn't push it because after all, this is Ron Mason.
    It would be a terrible thing if he knew things that would tarnish his legacy.
    Since some of the accusers are former MSU softball players I can only wonder.
    We can only hope that, if she did know things, she will get what's coming to her for not saying anything.
    “They are a **** site better than the U.S. Army, at least we know that they will be there in the morning.”
    – Lewis B. Chesty Puller
    when a journalist asked him about being surrounded by 22. enemy divisions

Comment

• Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
      A good friend of mine has a daughter on Team USA's softball team roster and he told me some years ago the he was convinced MSU's softball coach Jackie Joseph must have some dirt on somebody high up to be one of the worst coaches in the B1G but still keeps her job year after year.
      During the last season of the CCHA I asked Ron Mason why she's still around and was given some excuses I thought weren't very plausible but didn't push it because after all, this is Ron Mason.
      It would be a terrible thing if he knew things that would tarnish his legacy.
      Since some of the accusers are former MSU softball players I can only wonder.
      Joseph's continued employment by MSU has perplexed MSU fans for years. The "she has dirt on people" explanation has hardly been a joke for a long time. It's been either that or "Hollis doesn't care about softball and is too lazy to find another coach."

Comment

• Originally posted by devildog View Post
        I am a University of Louisville fan, so it goes without saying, to a certain degree, I (we) know what you the fans are going through. I know situations are different, but when people affiliated with your university do reprehensible things, it's sometimes hard to put the school logo on. I can't put in words how badly I feel for the victims of these crimes, but MSU fans and alumni are also victims in this situation. Looks like we will have to take down a banner to be able to move on. Not a big deal compared to what is going to need to occur before the victims in your situation can move on. Thoughts and prayers for all of you.
        Last night I threw on an MSU had without thinking about it and my friends poked some fun at me. I jokingly responded that my hat was "in support of only the hockey team, untouched by scandal."

But there is blood in the water and people have set their sights on the football and basketball programs. Some of it seems possibly sketchy on MSU's part, other things seem sensationalized. So, I hope the programs are honestly and thoroughly gone over with a fine toothed comb. If Dantonio or Izzo are found to be complicit in any abuse or the covering of crimes then I will support their ouster.

And yes, while I, and many other MSU fans/alumni may feel emotional strain, we will be just fine no matter how bad things get. The actual victims have a very different road to travel.
        Last edited by Pirateasaur; 01-27-2018, 11:35 AM.

Comment

Many of the allegations in the OTL article were not new and had been covered by the LSJ, Mlive, and the Detroit papers and when combined in a single list covering an entire decade certainly look shocking on the surface. Others, especially the one about Dantonio simply having a player call his mom, need more explanation and investigation.

Simon needed to go. Hollis needed to go, and I've wanted him gone for a couple years now for, though for unrelated reasons. How Strampel is still with the university I am completely baffled. But I'm going to reserve some judgement on an article containing mostly allegations that resulted in no charges that they've had the information on for awhile now and is published immediately as Nassar is sentenced.

I'm certainly open to further investigation of the events, but the mad rush calling for resignations and firings is premature.
          Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

I'm afraid the fallout will spill over to even the MSU sports who are innocent of everything like hockey. The NCAA will make the University and Athletic department as a whole no doubt pay dearly in every conceivable way.
            How can the hockey team recruit effectively with THAT hanging unresolved over their heads? And it's a real shame because prior to this bomb going off it looked like everything was in place to bring the program back to prominence.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
              Many of the allegations in the OTL article were not new and had been covered by the LSJ, Mlive, and the Detroit papers and when combined in a single list covering an entire decade certainly look shocking on the surface. Others, especially the one about Dantonio simply having a player call his mom, need more explanation and investigation.

Simon needed to go. Hollis needed to go, and I've wanted him gone for a couple years now for, though for unrelated reasons. How Strampel is still with the university I am completely baffled. But I'm going to reserve some judgement on an article containing mostly allegations that resulted in no charges that they've had the information on for awhile now and is published immediately as Nassar is sentenced.

I'm certainly open to further investigation of the events, but the mad rush calling for resignations and firings is premature.
              I hope you are right. So many people are ready to rush anyone accused of something sexually related these days right to the gallows to be hanged, if they didn't have a stone in their hand already to stone them on the spot, and people not in the know, see the headlines and react or respond harshly almost just to cover their own arse, make themselves look sympathetic or whatever. I mean, cbb fans are for the most part calling for the Death Penalty for MSU football and basketball at least.

I really hope this doesn't get too crazy and that the hockey program isn't touched, I mean, we just got to 7 teams in the conference this year, would be horrible to go back to just 6 again, even if only for a year or two. Unless the hockey program is found to have been involved in a significant way. Doesn't seem like it was, so far. Maybe people just need to blow a lot of hot air to let it out and in time things will settle down? But I heard reports Izza and Dantonio were both going to retire? Maybe they were thinking about doing that sometime soon anyway, so why not now?

Well, just hope the best for the victims and everyone else also victimized indirectly(like fans) because of the actions of others, and hope those responsible for hurting the victims both directly and indirectly get what they deserve.

I mean, when people talk about how much energy police put into going after the perpetrators of victimless crimes like po t smokers, sh1t like this MSU mess, shows the huge difference. Someone smoking po t really is committing a victimless crime. Who gets hurt by his actions? But some star athlete or coach involved in this kind of sh1t not only hurts themselves, but the victim of the crime, of course, that victims family of course, the fans of that team, the coach who may or may not have tried to protect the player, his teammates, etc.. Well, you get my point I'm sure.

Makes me see why people take it so seriously, but also makes me feel very badly for guys like you who now become in a sense, victimized by the whole situation no matter how real it really is or not.

Sorry for all of it man.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post

There will be nothing that can be hidden from the State AG or any federal agency who wants to come in and get every record possible. E-mails, texts, inter-university documents & memos going back as far as they want. Then all the FACTS will be known and not before. And there is always someone when faced with prison who will take a plead deal and squeal like a pig on others.
                One of my concerns is with MSU's police investigations of Nassar. It's inconceivable he was cleared by them given what we know now of him.
                Having worked before in law enforcement gives me the perspective that either there was derelict of duty (a criminal offense) or gross incompetence by the person or persons handling the investigation. If (and I'm speaking hypothetically) there was any evidence of instructions from high up guiding the course of the investigation then I assure you Dr. Nassar will have company in prison.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
                  I'm afraid the fallout will spill over to even the MSU sports who are innocent of everything like hockey. The NCAA will make the University and Athletic department as a whole no doubt pay dearly in every conceivable way.
                  How can the hockey team recruit effectively with THAT hanging unresolved over their heads? And it's a real shame because prior to this bomb going off it looked like everything was in place to bring the program back to prominence.
                  I rather doubt that the NCAA would axe an entire program, even for egregious sins such as these in the two big money-makers. Baylor survived.

Danton Cole can point to Penn State and say that it'll all be okay. Plus, he recruited against UAH not even having a program at all. Spartan hockey will be fine.

GFM
                  Geof F. Morris
                  UAH BSE MAE 2002
                  UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                    I rather doubt that the NCAA would axe an entire program, even for egregious sins such as these in the two big money-makers. Baylor survived.

Danton Cole can point to Penn State and say that it'll all be okay. Plus, he recruited against UAH not even having a program at all. Spartan hockey will be fine.

GFM
                    It's hard to say what the penalties will be but HOW many millions was Penn State fined?

Comment

I was no fan of ESPN before all this and I really do think they waited around till the Nassar news blew up nationally before releasing the story on the football and basketball programs. After all they have had this story in the works for 3 years, which is in part because MSU tried their darndest to keep the documents hidden. That part is what frustrates me the most about all this as an alumni, if MSU would have just fully cooperated from the start it would not be so out of control.

I do agree that the police and other law agencies failed to some extent as well. Heck the county prosecutor who would have been in office for some of the cases is now in jail himself for prostitution charges I believe.

Either way I do agree if Dantonio, Izzo, or any other coach at MSU did anything to cover up or prevent charges against their players they will need to go. It's a case of who knew what, when they knew it, and what they did about it. Only time will tell.

Also I saw one story where the NCAA knew about most of this in 2010. Will be interesting to see what they do now. I don't know how they can justify coming down hard on MSU now. It would be pretty hypocritical to penalize MSU now just because its a national story.
                      Last edited by gomsuman; 01-29-2018, 12:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gomsuman View Post
                        Also I saw one story where the NCAA knew about most of this in 2010. Will be interesting to see what they do now. I don't know how they can justify coming down hard on MSU now. It would be pretty hypocritical to penalize MSU now just because its a national story.
                        There are SO many stories cropping up about this mess but one of the more interesting ones raised the question how far will the NCAA dare go against MSU if it turns out their own hands are dirty?

Comment

Trying to get back to hockey, who's coming down this weekend to Columbus?

Comment

• Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
                            Trying to get back to hockey, who's coming down this weekend to Columbus?
                            I will not be, but I am excited for hockey games to keep up on after a week off.

I was impressed by OSU a few weeks ago at Munn. I think if MSU manages to swipe any points in Columbus it will be gravy.

I see neither game is televised which is disappointing.

Comment

Originally posted by Pirateasaur View Post
                              I will not be, but I am excited for hockey games to keep up on after a week off.

I was impressed by OSU a few weeks ago at Munn. I think if MSU manages to swipe any points in Columbus it will be gravy.

I see neither game is televised which is disappointing.
                              They are being streamed on BTN Plus on BTN2GO.
                              My worry about the weekend is with Ohio State doing so well lately they may forget that every opponent is dangerous and not to take MSU lightly.
                              Last edited by Hockeybuckeye; 02-01-2018, 07:10 PM.

Comment

• Zane Demsey

Spartan's newest verbal.

https://***********/CHInsider/status/959422552362901504

Comment

Working...
                                X