Minnesota Girls High School Hockey IV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Girls High School Hockey IV

The advice of one player parent recently on a Saturday afternoon at Ridder was to "Send your daughter to a program where she is going to play. Avoid the schools that allow kids to transfer in & take the playing time from the kids that are recruited to play at that program."
    There are many great schools & opportunities out there for the MN Girls! We are seeing UMD post Miller era focusing more on MN kids & that is great to see. More parity & depth will be great for the women's game...

Comment

Originally posted by Dust Bucket View Post
      The advice of one player parent recently on a Saturday afternoon at Ridder was to "Send your daughter to a program where she is going to play. Avoid the schools that allow kids to transfer in & take the playing time from the kids that are recruited to play at that program."
      There are many great schools & opportunities out there for the MN Girls! We are seeing UMD post Miller era focusing more on MN kids & that is great to see. More parity & depth will be great for the women's game...
      Would said programs "guarantee" they are going to play? Are there schools that don't "allow" student/athletes to transfer when that decision is really the student/athlete's to make if they meet the requirements?
      At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Not all Minnesotans, but the state is certainly well-represented on USA Today's "ALL-USA Preseason Girls Hockey Team":

http://usatodayhss.com/2016/2016-17-...ls-hockey-team
        Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by Dust Bucket View Post
          Go where she will play is certainly a valid opinion and I would not begrudge someone saying that as long as they are not fomenting dissension or problems on a current team. The bit about avoiding schools that take in transfers seems to have a bit of a sour grapes thing about it. Transferring is a pretty common thing.

Although as FiveHoleFrenzy stated 'guaranteed' playing time can be fraught. Go where you will play is a judgement call that can be a safe call at times.

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
            Would said programs "guarantee" they are going to play? Are there schools that don't "allow" student/athletes to transfer when that decision is really the student/athlete's to make if they meet the requirements?
            Although there is no guarantees that your kid will play anywhere they go there is one thing I will say as I looked over the list of top 25 kids. "WOW! Minnesota has a pile of top recruits coming their way." Where are all those kids going to play? Only three lines that play and six D. Leaves a lot of kids out of luck when it comes to playing. I have seen more then a few kids ride the pine who could have been 1st or 2nd line studs for any other (except Wisconsin) WCHA team. I wonder if Nina Rodgers regrets her decision to go there a few years ago?

Comment

Originally posted by 2Bladedskates View Post
              Although there is no guarantees that your kid will play anywhere they go there is one thing I will say as I looked over the list of top 25 kids. "WOW! Minnesota has a pile of top recruits coming their way." Where are all those kids going to play? Only three lines that play and six D. Leaves a lot of kids out of luck when it comes to playing. I have seen more then a few kids ride the pine who could have been 1st or 2nd line studs for any other (except Wisconsin) WCHA team. I wonder if Nina Rodgers regrets her decision to go there a few years ago?
              She has a national championship ring, so probably not. I think she played about where she belonged. She has a lot of talent but was not a 1st or 2nd line stud at MN, she might have developed into one because there was a lot of upside but we will never know. I am not convinced she will be on the national squad unless she achieves all that potential. Met her, talked to her and her mom (before I even knew she was a MN recruit. She is a great kid and I hope she blossoms at BU and scores the game winner at the Olympics some day. But I can't imagine she would regret last year in MN. I am really looking forward to seeing her play against the Gophers in a few weeks.

As for numbers, Both MN & WI have more than a full team (after years of not even 18 skaters) but so do UND, BSU, SCSU, UMD and MSU(!) OSU has the full 21. So 7 of 8 have kids not playing while one has just a full team & probably lost a couple of players from the turmoil or it would be all 8. Some of those might be studs out East.

Comment

Originally posted by 2Bladedskates View Post
                Wouldn't a coaching staff, if they have the talent, want to play 4 lines? Especially if they can do that and maintain the consistency of their "systems" throughout those lines? To get kids who have been the top player or one of the top players at their school to fit into different roles which are going to be more subservient, is not an easy task. Not everyone has the makeup to do that and it is essential for the recruiters to be able to project who will be able to conform to those roles.
                At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Wouldn't a coaching staff, if they have the talent, want to play 4 lines? Especially if they can do that and maintain the consistency of their "systems" throughout those lines? To get kids who have been the top player or one of the top players at their school to fit into different roles which are going to be more subservient, is not an easy task. Not everyone has the makeup to do that and it is essential for the recruiters to be able to project who will be able to conform to those roles.
                  I would not be surprised if in a year or two the Gophers are much more of a 4 line team. With the players that are coming in I could see us having a 4th line capable of maintaining consistency with the top lines better than what we have seen before.

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
                    She has a national championship ring, so probably not. I think she played about where she belonged. She has a lot of talent but was not a 1st or 2nd line stud at MN, she might have developed into one because there was a lot of upside but we will never know. I am not convinced she will be on the national squad unless she achieves all that potential. Met her, talked to her and her mom (before I even knew she was a MN recruit. She is a great kid and I hope she blossoms at BU and scores the game winner at the Olympics some day. But I can't imagine she would regret last year in MN. I am really looking forward to seeing her play against the Gophers in a few weeks.

As for numbers, Both MN & WI have more than a full team (after years of not even 18 skaters) but so do UND, BSU, SCSU, UMD and MSU(!) OSU has the full 21. So 7 of 8 have kids not playing while one has just a full team & probably lost a couple of players from the turmoil or it would be all 8. Some of those might be studs out East.
                    I take it all the teams use their full allotment of schollies 18. Curious if anyone knows how much they get split up or do they? Are there any walk ons that have proved themselves and gotten rewarded?

Comment

I am sure they all would love to roll 4 & at home, with last change some do at least a bit.But even Minnesota and Wisconsin are not excited about their 4 against another teams 1 so unlikely to do it on the road. The depth is just not there yet but it is getting very close & I expect we will see more 4s in the future. For all the whining about stashing I think a lot of kids see them developing more & being happier with limited playing time at places like MN, WI & BC than second line with a team struggling to make .500. That would be a personal choice: big fish, little pond or little fish, big pond different kids have different desires & thats OK.

Comment

Originally posted by giwan View Post
                        I take it all the teams use their full allotment of schollies 18. Curious if anyone knows how much they get split up or do they? Are there any walk ons that have proved themselves and gotten rewarded?
                        I assume they split a bunch but the word I heard about a former 3rd string goalie was she only got a partial her senior year. I admire the heck out of any kid who puts in the work required for free knowing they may never play. Depends on how you define walk-on. I know there are girls who are invited to play with no scholarship but the offer to try to get something in later years. Given that everyone in the WCHA is over staffed I have to believe at least some of them are in that boat.

Comment

For all the whining about stashing I think a lot of kids see them developing more & being happier with limited playing time at places like MN, WI & BC than second line with a team struggling to make .500. That would be a personal choice: big fish, little pond or little fish, big pond different kids have different desires & thats OK.
                          Ask the Gophers' two current transfers, Caitlin Reilly from Penn State and Nicole Schammel from Minnesota-State, and I'm sure they would agree with you, in that they're developing more and I would guess very happy with their move...even though they are maybe not as big of fish in the new bigger pond than the smaller pond they decided to leave. Being an integral part of a winning program, and tackling all the challenges that brings, has to be more rewarding (and fun) for both of them.
                          Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

MJ does not over-recruit. This year he is carrying 11 F, 7 D and 4 goalies. Next year he has 15 F, but I think 2 will be on the Olympic team. The following year he has 12 F, but will probably gain the 2 Olympians back, so he'll have 14. He has no more than 7 D on the books for the next 3 years. Basically if MJ picks you, you are gonna see some ice time, or be very close to competing your way onto the ice.
                            Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                            "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                            Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                              MJ does not over-recruit. This year he is carrying 11 F, 7 D and 4 goalies. Next year he has 15 F, but I think 2 will be on the Olympic team. The following year he has 12 F, but will probably gain the 2 Olympians back, so he'll have 14. He has no more than 7 D on the books for the next 3 years. Basically if MJ picks you, you are gonna see some ice time, or be very close to competing your way onto the ice.
                              How many of those 4 goalies are going to compete their way onto the ice?

Comment

How many of those 4 goalies are going to compete their way onto the ice?
                                The Gophs have 4 goalies next year, too. It makes it hard to just get enough minutes in practice.
                                "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                                And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Working...
                                X