Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UND Players finding new schools

Originally posted by timothy a View Post
    surprise surprise surprise, looky here......uw lands another goalie....former und g kristen campbell is joining uw this season. I thought uw was loaded with cece and blesi, very interesting indeed.
    omg! Stashing! Stashing!!1!

Comment

Kinda surprising at this point that with 15 underclassmen, that only a couple have found a home for next season. A few are northern Europeans which is a tough transfer, but what about the rest...? Second leading scorer (a sophomore next season) can't find a place - surprising... Makes me wonder if ND's competitiveness was about to drop off the map and this might have been a consideration in the decision.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyEast33 View Post
        Kinda surprising at this point that with 15 underclassmen, that only a couple have found a home for next season. A few are northern Europeans which is a tough transfer, but what about the rest...? Second leading scorer (a sophomore next season) can't find a place - surprising... Makes me wonder if ND's competitiveness was about to drop off the map and this might have been a consideration in the decision.
        There are several problems with transferring. Most teams are set so there are not going to be many openings (coaches are going to show preference for the kids they recruited because loyalty is rewarded). There are academic considerations, do the other schools have the same program, will they accept all the credits & accept the higher level ones as more than electives? There is the scholarship question, they have whatever they had at UND for their remaining time there; if they move to a new school that could be very expensive. Timing issues they need to sort through a lot of things they had not planned on with short notice. Some may believe the decision can be reversed, hope dies hard. Culture can be an issue too, kids that liked the environment in Grand Forks might not like life in Columbus Ohio. That same thing could go with coaches, they may feel that coach X didn't want them at 17 would not be their best choice or they may have met coach Y and not liked them or their style so they self-select out of those schools.

Comment

And with scholarships continued some of the players may decide to stay at UND and complete their major.

I wouldn't be surprised if UND starts a club program. They do have one at North Dakota State (and at Minot State) but they are D2.
          Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
            There are several problems with transferring. Most teams are set so there are not going to be many openings (coaches are going to show preference for the kids they recruited because loyalty is rewarded). There are academic considerations, do the other schools have the same program, will they accept all the credits & accept the higher level ones as more than electives? There is the scholarship question, they have whatever they had at UND for their remaining time there; if they move to a new school that could be very expensive. Timing issues they need to sort through a lot of things they had not planned on with short notice. Some may believe the decision can be reversed, hope dies hard. Culture can be an issue too, kids that liked the environment in Grand Forks might not like life in Columbus Ohio. That same thing could go with coaches, they may feel that coach X didn't want them at 17 would not be their best choice or they may have met coach Y and not liked them or their style so they self-select out of those schools.
            All relevant points and I wouldn't expect rising Seniors or Juniors to be great transfer candidates and probably want to retain their scholarship and graduate, but certainly the Fresh and Sophs should have opportunities....and i doubt that club hockey is very attractive to them after playing D1.

Comment

Originally posted by robertearle View Post
              Wisconsin took 159 penalties, their opponents took 158; Minnesota took 109, their opponents took 115. As pokechecker speculated "it could be that the other teams were frustrated and decided to play rough, and the Badgers responded in kind". Yes, Wisconsin found themselves in 'high penalty' games for whatever reason, while Minnesota played 'low penalty' games. But neither team found themselves at any particular advantage or disadvantage because of it; on average, they both had the same number of skaters on the ice as their opponents over the course of the game.

It is only when the 'mismatch' in penalties gets to where North Dakota's was - 161 penalties taken vs 125 - that penalties become a problem. Until then, it is the 'style' of game the refs are giving you. (And if your PP is better than your opponent's AND your PK is better than your opponent's, maybe playing a 'high penalty' game is strategic.)

Having seen WI first hand I believe there are a couple of reasons why they have so many penalties.
              Before all of you westerners jump down my throat I will preface this by stating that WI was the best team in 2016-17...without question. Anyone that disagrees with that can't see past their own bias.

First, they are coached by a male coach. All of the teams in the league here that are coached by a male are more physical than teams coached by females. I'm not saying it is wrong or that they are better coaches. I'm just stating that male coaches are far more aggressive in their teaching and coaching and it reflects on the ice.

Second, and more applicable to WI, is that they are just stronger than their opponents...as a team. There are stronger players on teams but as a team they are stronger than anyone. I know by watching #4 at BC every game that this poses a problem when playing weaker players day in and day out. Players go into a corner with her and they end up on the ground without her hitting the player. Ref's call it because they see the outcome not the play. WI is the strongest team I've ever seen on the stick. They are very aggressive and win almost every battle. That aggressiveness translates into penalties when people end up on the ground...usually weaker players. Don't get me wrong, they do go in with high elbows sometimes but their strength is their primary asset.

Comment

Originally posted by Quiet Riot View Post
                Having seen WI first hand I believe there are a couple of reasons why they have so many penalties.
                Before all of you westerners jump down my throat I will preface this by stating that WI was the best team in 2016-17...without question. Anyone that disagrees with that can't see past their own bias.

First, they are coached by a male coach. All of the teams in the league here that are coached by a male are more physical than teams coached by females. I'm not saying it is wrong or that they are better coaches. I'm just stating that male coaches are far more aggressive in their teaching and coaching and it reflects on the ice.

Second, and more applicable to WI, is that they are just stronger than their opponents...as a team. There are stronger players on teams but as a team they are stronger than anyone. I know by watching #4 at BC every game that this poses a problem when playing weaker players day in and day out. Players go into a corner with her and they end up on the ground without her hitting the player. Ref's call it because they see the outcome not the play. WI is the strongest team I've ever seen on the stick. They are very aggressive and win almost every battle. That aggressiveness translates into penalties when people end up on the ground...usually weaker players. Don't get me wrong, they do go in with high elbows sometimes but their strength is their primary asset.
                A very heady analysis indeed.
                Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

First, they are coached by a male coach. All of the teams in the league here that are coached by a male are more physical than teams coached by females. I'm not saying it is wrong or that they are better coaches. I'm just stating that male coaches are far more aggressive in their teaching and coaching and it reflects on the ice
                  Ah, I have not personally verified this but Brad Frost identifies as a male, how does MN's low numbers fit into your theory?

Comment

I think you're trying too hard. The two least penalized teams in the conference are coached by men. Every team in the WCHA averaged 3 to 4 penalties per game except Minnesota (slightly below) and North Dakota (slightly above). So pretty even up and down the conference.

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
                      Ah, I have not personally verified this but Brad Frost identifies as a male, how does MN's low numbers fit into your theory?
                      He hasn't won an Olympic Gold Medal, he's just a dude. MJ is a MAN.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                        The Dude abides.

Comment

Number of Nattys the last six years: Dude 4 Man 0.
                          Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 04-25-2017, 09:57 PM.
                          "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

Originally posted by bluffrinkrat View Post
                            Number of Nattys the last six years: Dude 4 Man 0.
                            You haven't accomplished anything unless you scored on a commie.

Comment

You haven't accomplished anything unless you scored on a commie.
                              So now you're an expert on the political affiliation of the MIAC goalies in the 1990's?
                              "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

By that stunted yardstick there are not many men in the world, including you. Mine is in air rifle

Comment

Working...
                                X