Norwich's Kyle Thomas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Norwich's Kyle Thomas

Just got home from the National Championship game, excellent game with two great teams that were very well coached and had outstanding goaltending. Even game until overtime when Norwich was rolling and St. Noberts just ran out of gas.

Anyways, #15 Freshman Kyle Thomas is an incredible hockey player. What is he doing playing d3 hockey? There have been many greats at Norwich: Aucoin, McLean, Cleaver, Khashirsky and many others but I would imagine (would love to hear your input) that this kid is right up there with them. His speed and puck skills are very impressive.

Tonights effort was a total team effort, but you couldn't help but notice this kid tonight, he was all over the place. Very talented.

Re: Norwich's Kyle Thomas

Agreed. He was pretty impressive last night (and all season). Must be developing late, as he posted very modest totals in the EJHL last year: http://easternjhl.stats.pointstreak....&seasonid=2956

He almost had as many goals this year as he did points in the EJ! Nice diamond in the rough pick up for the cadets. That freshman class is already scary; I can't imagine them as seniors.

Comment

I posted my thoughts on Thomas in the Norwich thread: here they are...

Congrats guys: as much as I kid around there was no doubt in my mind you guys were the best team: and just watching the game one player REALLY stood out #15 Kyle Thomas..This kid is one of the best D 3 players I have seen in my time: every time he had the puck Norwich seemed to get a scoring chance...Anyway, I will hopefully see you guys when USM comes visiting next year...Have a great summer and enjoy the victory!!!

How good he is going to be???? I only saw him play 5 times so I can't say for SURE just how good I think he can be: but I will say his upside, in the limited time I saw him, is a good as any other D3 player I have seen : and yes that includes Aucion.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyfan77 View Post
        I posted my thoughts on Thomas in the Norwich thread: here they are...

Congrats guys: as much as I kid around there was no doubt in my mind you guys were the best team: and just watching the game one player REALLY stood out #15 Kyle Thomas..This kid is one of the best D 3 players I have seen in my time: every time he had the puck Norwich seemed to get a scoring chance...Anyway, I will hopefully see you guys when USM comes visiting next year...Have a great summer and enjoy the victory!!!

How good he is going to be???? I only saw him play 5 times so I can't say for SURE just how good I think he can be: but I will say his upside, in the limited time I saw him, is a good as any other D3 player I have seen : and yes that includes Aucion.
        Having seen him only 6 times, I have to concur with your analysis. I only saw Aucoin once, and I was impressed, but this kid just blows me away. Forkey and cotnoir are pretty **** good, too... but this kid is just out of this world.
        Plattsburgh CARDINALS
        SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
        ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
        NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
        NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
        NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
        NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Comment

Originally posted by canadianhockeyguy View Post
          Agreed. He was pretty impressive last night (and all season). Must be developing late, as he posted very modest totals in the EJHL last year: http://easternjhl.stats.pointstreak....&seasonid=2956

He almost had as many goals this year as he did points in the EJ! Nice diamond in the rough pick up for the cadets. That freshman class is already scary; I can't imagine them as seniors.
          Yes - Thomas must be a serious late bloomer. I did a little more digging and discovered that he played public high school hockey in Massachusetts (Waltham HS), where he received no great accolades. And then after finishing HS, he played one extra year in the EJ, where he scored only 27 points. There is not much in his background that would have predicted how good a college player he is . .

Comment

Originally posted by CARDS_rule_the_Burgh View Post
            Having seen him only 6 times, I have to concur with your analysis. I only saw Aucoin once, and I was impressed, but this kid just blows me away. Forkey and cotnoir are pretty **** good, too... but this kid is just out of this world.
            Easy with the Aucoin analysis... He's been one of the best AHl players and has played in the NHL... Easy... Settle down.

Comment

Originally posted by neshl05 View Post
              Easy with the Aucoin analysis... He's been one of the best AHl players and has played in the NHL... Easy... Settle down.
              I'm just saying that Thomas now is, in my opinion more impressive (which does not necessarily translate to better) than Aucoin was during his Norwich years. Maybe he will find the success Aucoin has post-college. but obviously there are a lot of factors that go into that. For all we know, Thomas could go 0G 0A all next season. Doubtful, but possible.
              Plattsburgh CARDINALS
              SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
              ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
              NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
              NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
              NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
              NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Comment

Originally posted by neshl05 View Post

Well, one of the many things I do it's project how good a player is going to be but it's still my opinion...No question Aucion was the best D3 player I have seen but one again IMO Thomas has all the tools to be right up there with Aucion..
                Last edited by hockeyfan77; 03-21-2010, 11:34 PM.

Comment

I'm just saying that Thomas now is, in my opinion more impressive (which does not necessarily translate to better) than Aucoin was during his Norwich years.
                  We're talking about a kid who had only 9 assists this season. 9!!! His linemates for most of the year finished with 28 goals and he was featured on the powerplay and he only had 9 helpers.

Now, don't get me wrong. I agree that he is one of the fastest and shiftiest guys I have seen. He can score and the pressure he puts dmen under is quite high. They have no idea what he is going to do.

But to be as good as some of the greats at this level, he needs to play a more complete game. From what I have seen he doesn't play that hard defensively and he doesn't see the ice that well when he needs to move the puck. Guys like Aucoin had more assists than goals and made everyone on the ice better. Let's just let Kyle Thomas be his own player, however good that ends up being.
                  Artie
                  Go NEC Pilgrims! (One of the few)

Comment

It is interesting that you heap your kudos on Thomas--and there is not question that they are all well deserved. Kyle is clearly a very accomplished player for someone so young but isn't it a bit early to be talking about Keith Accoin comparisons?

What I find interesting about this is team is that it is so crowded with talent that you find yourself picking a player and following his fortunes on the ice and in the end come away convinced that he is the next super star. I have one NU classmate who heralds Steven Schroeder's talent and I immediately counter with the last minute heroics of Peir Oliver Contoir at Colby, Middlebury, Elmira and SNC. But they all seem to have stories, e.g. some think that Blake Forkey, Tory Allen, and Scott Schroeder all "walk on frozen water." There is just so much going on with this entire flying circus of talent to keep the names and their individual feats of heroics straight.

And to be honest I am not sure enough is being said about the chemistry of this team.

I have now seen them play in person ten times and as many games on video stream. What is really consistent regardless of the player is their real time situational awareness relative to one another. It is almost uncanny. Time and again a Cadet will be moving up the ice, he will pass (which from my perspective looks like it is going no where) and then out of thin air comes another Cadet to catch it. It is down right spooky and the fact that so much scoring and assists were spread around this entire team only seems to confirm what a orchestrated effort it really is. It is all about the team.

Kyle Thomas is a great player but like many others, you now have to ask whether his greatness is based solely on his individual talent or is it the team's talent that magnifies his enormous individual skills and the contribution he brings to each game. No easy question to answer but I know I like what I see from all these favorites--including Kyle Thomas.

The question now is who will assume the critical role of leader to replace both Eric Tallent and the Klinger. Skill will only take you so far but team leadership will make sure you get there. I look forward to seeing this entire club mature and grow from this superb start.
                    Old Rook NU'66--Roll On Cadets
                    Organized crime in America takes in over forty billion dollars a year and spends very little on office supplies.

Comment

Don't forget Tyler Stitt. While I agree Eric and Ryan are certainly crucial to team leadership, Tyler has been a huge factor in that, more than a lot of people realize, plus he is much more of a defensive defenseman.
                      Go 'Wick!

Comment

Originally posted by jerrynu26 View Post
                        Don't forget Tyler Stitt. While I agree Eric and Ryan are certainly crucial to team leadership, Tyler has been a huge factor in that, more than a lot of people realize, plus he is much more of a defensive defenseman.
                        I agree with you Jerry. Tyler has been the main stay of the D for the last four years. He was not flashy but got the job do over and over. What a great Dman.

Comment

Originally posted by GOWICH View Post
                          I agree with you Jerry. Tyler has been the main stay of the D for the last four years. He was not flashy but got the job do over and over. What a great Dman.
                          See what I mean? You are spot on and if you mention one or two great names you always forget one as important as Tyler. Thanks.
                          Old Rook NU'66--Roll On Cadets
                          Organized crime in America takes in over forty billion dollars a year and spends very little on office supplies.

Comment

Don't forget about Tory Allen too...they are just scary good.
                            The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                            "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                            GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                            GO LAKERS!!!
                            GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                            "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                            Oswego State '09

Comment

I'm just saying that Thomas now is, in my opinion more impressive (which does not necessarily translate to better) than Aucoin was during his Norwich years. Maybe he will find the success Aucoin has post-college. but obviously there are a lot of factors that go into that. For all we know, Thomas could go 0G 0A all next season. Doubtful, but possible.
                              Dude, Thomas is not even half the player Aucoin was in college. Not even close... Aucoin scored more goals and made everybody better... Thomas is a one trick pony.. He can snipe, but at the next level nah... Not so much... You guys really need to calm down.. Just let him be his own player... Aucoin scored more then 200 points...

Comment

Working...
                              X