X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UMaine Black Bears 2017/18, Red dawn

Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
    It all comes down to recruiting, recruits won't commit if the Coach is a lame duck hanging in the wind, RG has one more year on his extension...most likely they (UM AD) will up him after the season....myself I won't give him any extension and send him a message that next year (2018-19) is a make or break, but it won't happen and he'll hand him over another 2 year extension if NOT 3 years. What has saved his bacon to this point is MAINE HAS FINALLY solved there goaltending in #1 Swayman...without him they would be a 10th/11th place door-mat. When the season started not counting on the goaltending situation I had figured 9th/10th/or 11th in Hockey East and slight chance of winning 10-12 games...any gravy would have been a .500 season (15-15-4) and a 8th place finish in Hockey East. With the chance of Home Ice in the 1st round (6 thru 11) and even a chance of a 4th or 5th place finish has more or less put RG in line for extension. Sad part is are we any better..???? or is it more or less the goaltending has put Maine back in the middle of the pack ( 6 though 8 in Hockey East). As I have said before Maine can beat anyone and also they can lose to anyone on any given night. Sadly this year Hockey East has taken a few steps backwards in that the League is not a power in College Hockey...NCHC, big10, and ECAC have moved way ahead of Hockey East in terms of strength and getting teams into the NCAA's. Hockey East will get "MAYBE" two teams into the NCAA's (Auto-Bid and if a team runs the regular season out with a long winning streak and does well in 1st/2nd round and onto Boston for the Semi's and Finals).
    I agree with most of your post, excepting maybe the first sentence.

If Guite is doing the recruiting, I wouldn't expect to see many de-commits if he's explicitly named as Red's successor.
    Last edited by Fishman'81; 02-11-2018, 05:40 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post

If Guite is doing the recruiting, I wouldn't expect to see many de-commits if he's explicitly named as Red's successor.
      I’ve heard that it’s mostly Ben and Alfie doing most of the recruiting, and if that’s true it would explain the relative uptick in quality, but it would also make me wonder “what does Red actually do?”, because even on the bench he doesn’t look like he’s that engaged most of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by amkirby10 View Post
        I’ve heard that it’s mostly Ben and Alfie doing most of the recruiting, and if that’s true it would explain the relative uptick in quality, but it would also make me wonder “what does Red actually do?”, because even on the bench he doesn’t look like he’s that engaged most of the time.
        Lol, I've detected the exact same thing, as in: "Hope the Missus has a cocktail ready when I get to home." He seems like good peeps, but just about ready to be put out to pasture.

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
          Longest losing streak vs a Hockey East opponent: 13 - Boston University (1/16/82-2/15/86)
          Longest current losing streak vs Hockey East opponent: 12 - Providence (2/28/14-current)
          Longest winless streak vs Hockey East opponent: 16 - Providence (2/10/12-current)

Maine has only had three winless streaks vs any opponent of 10 or more games: Providence 16 (0-15-1) and BU 13 (0-13, 0-11-2). UNH (0-6-3) can be the fourth on Wednesday.

Since 2013
          Maine vs UMass:12-3-1 (.781)
          Maine vs Rest of Hockey East: 28-64-10 (.323)

In the past three seasons Maine has a winning record vs - UMass
          In the past three seasons Maine has a losing record vs - Boston College, Boston University, Connecticut, Lowell, Merrimack, New Hampshire, Northeastern, Providence
          Sad, but true... Still, it's rather brutal to see it laid-out like that in black and white.

Having said that, I can see Maine inching-up to a relative level of National relevance next year, if HE continues to suck in a general sense.

How times have changed!

Comment

Ryan Lomberg had a painful evening against the Islanders:

https://deadspin.com/flames-pest-rya...nen-1822917901

Comment

• Originally posted by AMC View Post

I’m thrilled he’s made it to the NHL and still irritated at the treatment he received from Maine’s administration. He had a great pass the other night to setup a goal. Hopefully he is okay and is back out there soon.
              Originally posted by BobbyBrady
              Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                I’m thrilled he’s made it to the NHL and still irritated at the treatment he received from Maine’s administration. He had a great pass the other night to setup a goal. Hopefully he is okay and is back out there soon.
                I expected he'd be suspended for the Alaska trip, not that he'd essentially be kicked out of school. Huge overreaction by the administration.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post

And to add to my point is the University would be towing the line on that along with the present AD, how could he go back on his deal with RG and not look foolish. But whatever happens we have no control over it. A different era of hockey @ Maine.

Comment

We should all collectively stand behind northeastern fans for knocking of those cheap picks. In Boston. Cronin helped build them.

Comment

We have to win now like they did. I understand we are young. But we can challenge NU. Go challenge.

https://youtu.be/4tdKl-gTpZg

Comment

We as Maine fans should cheer for and back up northeastern fans. I know we have been down. But at least they ****ed up by and BC and Harvard. Co one mainuhs!

Comment

Nice win by NU. That first line is tearing it up. Their goalie looks to be good also. Hopefully they can get in NCAAs and make some noise. Look to have the pieces to do that.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
                          I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                            Nice win by NU. That first line is tearing it up. Their goalie looks to be good also. Hopefully they can get in NCAAs and make some noise. Look to have the pieces to do that.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
                            IMO, if you get in this year via the PWR, you have a real chance. Nobody has a dominant team.

Comment

The BDN is saying Pearson is out tonight injured. Anybody know what happened? He finished the Providence game, correct?

Comment

Originally posted by AMC View Post

My God, will they ever get rid of that side-show BS? That last shot he took looked like concussion-fodder... How can the moronic NHL brass hand out suspensions for blows to the head, but wink at the same if it happens in the context of a fistfight? What a crock.

Comment

Working...
                                X