Northeastern Huskies 2017-18: Every Dog Has its Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Northeastern Huskies 2017-18: Every Dog Has its Day

I had no idea of this, but Sykura is 1 of 2 kids selected out of NCAA for Canada. US has none.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard View Post
      I had no idea of this, but Sykura is 1 of 2 kids selected out of NCAA for Canada. US has none.
      It's Sikura and team Canada having only 2 NCAA players was already pointed out below. This could also change as this is a PRE-tournament and not the roster they will be bringing to Pyeongchang.

Team USA hasn't made any announcements, but it is expected to be made up of roughly 50% NCAA players. Some could be Greenway on BU, Fox on Harvard and possibly NU's Gaudette.

Looking towards tonight's game, Ruck in net 21/28/17, 9/8/15, 19/7/25, 26/27/23. This seems like the deepest lineup we've thrown out there so far in my opinion out of the small sample size.

Comment

USA Hockey in recent years has had a pronounced bias toward NCAA players, as opposed to major junior and minor league pro players, for the various high-level international tournaments. And I don't expect this to change since Tony Granato (Wisconsin) is also HC of Team USA. Canada typically tends to the opposite. No surprises here--just a reflection of different national development tracks.

Canada is going to give Sikura what amounts to an audition in an international tournament in Finland in early November. If they like what they see, he may play in other international tournaments in December and January. Same for Gaudette, although nothing about international play has been announced by USA Hockey AFAIK. Performances in the workup tournaments have a big bearing on who gets invited to the pre-Olympic training camps, which open in early January. Especially for the bubble players.

The actual Olympic hockey tournament takes up almost all of February.
        Last edited by Split-N; 10-27-2017, 01:34 PM.
        "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Originally posted by Roll_Dawgs View Post
          It's Sikura and team Canada having only 2 NCAA players was already pointed out below. This could also change as this is a PRE-tournament and not the roster they will be bringing to Pyeongchang.

Team USA hasn't made any announcements, but it is expected to be made up of roughly 50% NCAA players. Some could be Greenway on BU, Fox on Harvard and possibly NU's Gaudette.

Looking towards tonight's game, Ruck in net 21/28/17, 9/8/15, 19/7/25, 26/27/23. This seems like the deepest lineup we've thrown out there so far in my opinion out of the small sample size.
          If this is true I'm a big fan of this lineup. This is what we should roll with game in game out IMO.
          "Never tell me the odds"

http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
            USA Hockey in recent years has had a pronounced bias toward NCAA players, as opposed to major junior and minor league pro players, for the various high-level international tournaments. And I don't expect this to change since Tony Granato (Wisconsin) is also HC of Team USA. Canada typically tends to the opposite. No surprises here--just a reflection of different national development tracks.

Canada is going to give Sikura what amounts to an audition in an international tournament in Finland in early November. If they like what they see, he may play in other international tournaments in December and January. Same for Gaudette, although nothing about international play has been announced by USA Hockey AFAIK. Performances in the workup tournaments have a big bearing on who gets invited to the pre-Olympic training camps, which open in early January. Especially for the bubble players.

The actual Olympic hockey tournament takes up almost all of February.
            There are more of them? I know they don't care about how the players' teams perform without them but at what point is it unfair to the students' educations?

Comment

The Hockey East blog picks us getting swept this weekend, so that can only be good for us.
              These are good times to be a Husky Dawg!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by njdevscup30 View Post
                There are more of them? I know they don't care about how the players' teams perform without them but at what point is it unfair to the students' educations?
                Back in the day when the Olympic teams were primarily college players, training camp started in the Fall so college players invited to the pre-Olympic camp essentially gave up a year of school. Many of the early cuts were able to return to their college teams but those who were serious contenders for a spot were gone for the year and relatively few returned to their college teams. How the US and Canada are going to approach things this year is something of a blank slate since they probably don't want to disrupt the minor league pros any more than they have to (after all, $$$ is involved) but since pre-Olympic camps apparently aren't going to open until Jan., there aren't many options for evaluating potential Olympic players against international competition without playing them in some of the pre-Olympic international tournaments.

Comment

Originally posted by Roll_Dawgs View Post
                  ...Looking towards tonight's game, Ruck in net 21/28/17, 9/8/15, 19/7/25, 26/27/23. This seems like the deepest lineup we've thrown out there so far in my opinion out of the small sample size.
                  Color me a big fan of 17 lining up with 21 and 28, and 15 lining up with 8 and 9. Beyond that, I still don't get the apparent love affairs with 25 & 26 (though admittedly I don't see what happens in practice or behind the scenes). Beyond that, 27 has shown he can win a few faceoffs, which is a good thing. Kind of surprised 12 and 13 are apparently on the outs.

Comment

The lines do hold true. Well done Roll_Dawgs.

Carrabino listed as 7th D even with 12 F dressed, so someone may be nursing an injury on the back end. We'll see who starts.
                    "Never tell me the odds"

http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/

Comment

• as much as our PK su@ks.. Lowell's powerplay may trump that. Umteen missed open nets.. (thank you very much).. but we have to work on our PK in the long term regardless!

On the bright side.. our PP is 3 for 3 tonight.. Gaudette with the hat-trick & nice going by that whole unit.. Sikura et al!

End of 2.. So far so good. Go NU
                      GO NU HOCKEY
                      Always bullish on the future.
                      We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

• and in true NU fashion.. we are sleepwalking right now..
                        GO NU HOCKEY
                        We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

• not sure if it is a fitness issue.. but been all UML last 12 mins.. Huskies just sucking wind most of the 3rd actually.

Ugly gm.. nonetheless, a big W on the road against a strong opponent. Good start to HE play. Thank god for the PP tonight.
                          GO NU HOCKEY

Comment

Originally posted by northeastern View Post
                            not sure if it is a fitness issue.. but been all UML last 12 mins.. Huskies just sucking wind most of the 3rd actually.

Ugly gm.. nonetheless, a big W on the road against a strong opponent. Good start to HE play. Thank god for the PP tonight.
                            Not an issue of fitness at all. It was an issue of desperation on the part of Lowell's. They were trying to avoid a shutout at the very least. I wonder if the player who scored for them ever saw the puck go into the net. It was a nice shot that came off his stick quickly as he faced away from the net.

Our coaches were very hard on the team in practice this week. As a result they were well prepared. Now it's Lowell's burden to turn things around tomorrow night. We'll have to be even sharper to manage a sweep.
                            Last edited by HHound; 10-27-2017, 08:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by northeastern View Post
                              and in true NU fashion.. we are sleepwalking right now..
                              I can't agree with this at all. They got the 3-goal lead, then went into "protection mode," which they executed fairly well. Notwithstanding the one UML goal that was through a screen and a possible second saved by a Dman's skate, NU by and large kept UML on the perimeter. Really, UML didn't pose that much of a threat.

If I have a complaint, it's not on the defensive side of things. OTOH, 17 and 28 need to shed their invisibility cloaks.
                              Last edited by Split-N; 10-27-2017, 09:13 PM.

Comment

• well.. then let's agree to disagree.

Not taking anything away from a hard road W.. the Huskies were back on their heels for much of the 3rd. We really werent a threat at all in their zone the entire last period.. so much so that Madigan had to take a timeout (good timing).

We gotta win the 3rd periods this season to be a good team against solid competition.

Btw, Ruck was solid.
                                GO NU HOCKEY

Comment

Working...
                                X