X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Science: Vaccines Work, GMOs Are Safe, Everything is a Chemical

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
    Whatever that site is, your link just got me dinged on the corporate firewall alert. Now my manager's going to have a conversation with me. Not kidding.
    Wow, your corporate firewall not only dinged you for a shopping site, but your manager has to talk to you about it? Sheesh.

Only one I've discovered as "Blocked per Policy 57" thus far on my company laptop is Urban Dictionary, probably because of all the definitions of kinky sex practices & positions. That was a week ago, and not a peep from my boss. I doubt she knows or cares.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
      Wow, your corporate firewall not only dinged you for a shopping site, but your manager has to talk to you about it? Sheesh.

Only one I've discovered as "Blocked per Policy 57" thus far on my company laptop is Urban Dictionary, probably because of all the definitions of kinky sex practices & positions. That was a week ago, and not a peep from my boss. I doubt she knows or cares.
      There are mandatory discussions the managers are supposed to have with their staff when they hit these blocked sites - managers usually sort of glosses over them in a team meeting rather than the 1:1 discussions while making comment about corporate policy. Then someone will raise his/her hand declaring themselves guilty as charged. [Insert corporate laugh track here.] Sometimes you hear about the new manager who takes it all way too seriously until either getting worn down by it or their superior has a little discussion about how to chill out on the petty stuff.
      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
        There are mandatory discussions the managers are supposed to have with their staff when they hit these blocked sites - managers usually sort of glosses over them in a team meeting rather than the 1:1 discussions while making comment about corporate policy. Then someone will raise his/her hand declaring themselves guilty as charged. [Insert corporate laugh track here.] Sometimes you hear about the new manager who takes it all way too seriously until either getting worn down by it or their superior has a little discussion about how to chill out on the petty stuff.
        That's both funny and pathetic. Our notices even include this language:

"Please note: Indenture's internal webfilters do not track or log Internet activity of individual employees."

Comment

15 cool US military weapons. Yeah, I don't think accusations that the US military is decrepit hold much water.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/15...7G07KM.twitter
          Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
            15 cool US military weapons. Yeah, I don't think accusations that the US military is decrepit hold much water.
            The "hollow military" is a catch phrase used to increase funding. It's ridiculous. The US military could literally take out a coalition of the entire world.
            Cornell University
            National Champion 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
              The "hollow military" is a catch phrase used to increase funding. It's ridiculous. The US military could literally take out a coalition of the entire world.
              Depends on the Rules of Engagement.
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids
              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                Depends on the Rules of Engagement.
                I'm positing an all-out, we're not playing around here, conflict. Trump gets elected and nukes Mexico City. The rest of the world says, "OK, enough of that," and commits to regime change.

We win that one. Not great for the world, but we win it.

Everybody was so worried about the Krauts, when it was us all along...
                Cornell University
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                  Some friends and I were lobbying for an amendment to GMO labeling law to require that the definition of "genetic modification" include selective breeding. Half seriously, half subversively. Imagine if every item of food for sale had to be labeled as GMO.
                  you know, I have no problem with GMO in theory. I'd probably use CRISPR to make a couple modifications to my DNA if the FDA approved it. I do have a problem with the reckless use of GMOs (weeds are becoming resistant to Roudup because of its overuse, "Roundup Ready" is the most common modification). There are environmental consequences of dumping massive amounts of pesticides, herbicides, and fertilizer on our crops even if you think rinsing your strawberries under the faucet removes whatever chemicals were sprayed on them so there is no personal health consequence.

Comment

Didn't see a good medical thread for this. So after a lingering hacking cough got progressively worse over 2 weeks I finally went to the doctor's office today and after looking at me sideways with a "why did you wait so long, idiot" expression he said "bronchitis, not good" and banged out a scrip for a z-pak and prednisone.

So, what do you folks know about weird reax to short courses of prednisone? My reading basically says "you have 3 possible reactions: nothing, last call no date weepiness, and careful with that ax Eugene." My wife, who is a prednisone veteran and swears all it does for her is get her euphoric, suggested I be... circumspect... with my behavior at work over the next few days. I think she suspects I am going to go postal.
                    Last edited by Kepler; 08-09-2016, 06:35 PM.
                    Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                      Didn't see a good medical thread for this. So after a lingering hacking cough got progressively worse over 2 weeks I finally went to the doctor's office today and after looking at me sideways with a "why did you wait so long, idiot" expression he said "bronchitis, not good" and banged out a scrip for a z-pak and prednisone.

So, what do you folks know about weird reax to short courses of prednisone? My reading basically says "you have 3 possible reactions: nothing, last call no date weepiness, and careful with that ax Eugene." My wife, who is a prednisone veteran and swears all it does for her is get her euphoric, suggested I be... circumspect... with my behavior at work over the next few days. I think she suspects I am going to go postal.
                      Pred ain't no joke, I hate that crap. Zpak makes me swell up like a balloon, allergic
                      I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

With regard to reaction to prednisone, I fall into the "nothing" bin. I've taken it for conditions as disparate as asthma and poison ivy, and all it did for me was clear up the asthma attack and the poison ivy rash. My dog takes it for lymphoma, and seems hungry all the time. The doggie oncologist said that's a common side effect also (though I don't know if that just pertains to dogs). Two odd things for short courses, which, if your wife's familiar with it, will know. One is the dosage is odd. You take many pills the first day, maybe eight or more, then taper off so that by the end of the course you're taking only one or two. Second is that it's cheap. Last time I was charged an odd amount -- something like $3.72 when I'm used to paying a $10 or $20 co-pay. It's been around long enough that it's off-patent, and it's produced in volume.

Comment

Steroid psychosis can be the real deal. I had a patient clean every surface in their room all night. I had another patient who, after receiving a gram of prednisone, was doing pushups while we rounded on them (who was incredibly sick, hospice appropriate).

My own prednisone experience for a Bell's Palsy resulted in some wicked heart burn and noticeably worsened BO...which is lucky given what can happen.
                          In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Originally posted by burd
                          I look at some people and I just know they do it doggy style. No way they're getting close to my kids.

Comment

Originally posted by CLS View Post
                            One is the dosage is odd. You take many pills the first day, maybe eight or more, then taper off so that by the end of the course you're taking only one or two.
                            Here's the progression by day: 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1.
                            Cornell University

Comment

Here's the progression by day: 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1.
                              Long term users can get addicted,(might not be right term but), in order to get off Pred they taper very slowly. Maybe cut 1 or 2mg a week(daily dosage) and it can take months. Heck I just had an issue with my eye and was/is on steriod drops, I'm down to one drop a week trying to break away from that crap. Its common,cheap and it works but it can have long term consequences.
                              I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                                Long term users can get addicted,(might not be right term but), in order to get off Pred they taper very slowly. Maybe cut 1 or 2mg a week(daily dosage) and it can take months. Heck I just had an issue with my eye and was/is on steriod drops, I'm down to one drop a week trying to break away from that crap. Its common,cheap and it works but it can have long term consequences.
                                Exactly right. Addicted could be used...essentially you go into withdrawal if you taper too quickly. This depends on the disease, the course, and the dose. Simply put, prednisone suppresses your own (endogenous) steroids and it takes time for your body to ramp back up. At its worse, you can go into adrenal crisis which very much life threatening (although very rarely happens under appropriate courses).

One of my favorite things about steroids is there is no correct way to taper. Ask 4 doctors, you will get 10 answers. So do not worry if it varies a bit
                                In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Originally posted by burd
                                I look at some people and I just know they do it doggy style. No way they're getting close to my kids.

Comment

Working...
                                X