• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UConn to apply to Hockey East

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/new...ockey_east.php

reported on CHN.
    #OneKnight

Re: UConn to apply to Hockey East

Kick {rov and Merrihack out of Hockey Rast for Hahvahd and UConn!

Comment

This was inevitable, right?

Well, assuming that UConn can finally start looking at playing in a rink not suited for high school hockey, that is.

The long, slow transformation into the BEHC has begun...
      If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post

Well, assuming that UConn can finally start looking at playing in a rink not suited for high school hockey, that is.

I can't imagine that games at the HCC will be anything other than problematic*. My guess is they'll split time somehow and Hockey East will consider that adequate until they come up with 20-30 million for a bigger facility. At this point, however, I'm unsure who would grant that kind of money or if CT or Eastern CT can justify that capacity of a building.

Good-bye Bruce Marshall.

----

HCC is a haul for students... and its not like UConn hockey has a strong tradition or roots. It should be interesting to see what they do in the meantime.
        BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
        Skating Friar Jersey
        AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
        UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
        Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Meh. No thanks. I'm fine with 11 teams.
          Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
          The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

I like it for one big reason. I think the conference is committed to finding a 12th team. I'd rather have that team be UConn than RPI or The Q. Its also a better fit with PC, BC, and UMass. The league needs to be vigilant about the school upgrading their program but aside from that this plan works for me.
            Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
              I like it for one big reason. I think the conference is committed to finding a 12th team. I'd rather have that team be UConn than RPI or The Q. Its also a better fit with PC, BC, and UMass. The league needs to be vigilant about the school upgrading their program but aside from that this plan works for me.
              I agree, and UConn as a large New England state university is a better fit than almost any other school with D1 hockey. I can't imagine UConn would go to HE to be a doormat year after year. They will be good eventually, which will be good for the conference
              #OneKnight

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post

I had thought so back with the Notre Dame talk.

Comment

Originally posted by KnightsOfTheRound View Post
                  I agree, and UConn as a large New England state university is a better fit than almost any other school with D1 hockey. I can't imagine UConn would go to HE to be a doormat year after year. They will be good eventually, which will be good for the conference
                  I still see Notre Dame as the misfit. If UConn can deliver and the NCHC gets going strong (IMO, unlikely, I expect them to be a strong third behind HEA and Big6) it wouldn't shock me if ND left when/if another eastern school started to show interest/prominence... somewhere in a big circle starting at the far NY/PA border and sweeping through New Jersey. 'cuse, Nova, Pitt, Rutgers... etc. That being said, its a low-chance situation. On the other hand, you have to seriously say that the attention and the balance is starting to shift. Not so much because of the Big6 but because of interest shown by NBCSports and others. Its a matter of time... I wouldn't be surprised if a few of the "rumor schools" make a foray. Navy, EWU, Lindenwood, etc.

The next eastern conference will come out of the western AHA split... RMU, Mercyhurst, Canisius, etc. (excluding Air Force). After that, the gates are wide open and you'll see expansion throughout the northern atlantic, Ohio, and Illinois.
                  Last edited by Patman; 03-28-2012, 02:58 PM.

Skating Friar Jersey

Comment

I don't trust Uconn to follow through on any construction promises they make. Look at the problems Maine, UHN, Lowell, Zoomass and Vermont have in getting funds. I'll be happy with 11 until they obtain financing and break ground on a campus rink.
                    Originally posted by mookie1995
                    bc is superior to bu in nearly everything. while it is sad that it has come to it, it's the truth. if bu doesn't like it, improve.
                    Rep from Hokydad -"and your an old never been piece of ****"

Originally Posted by Dirty
                    Why is anyone surprised that Old Pio is acting like a grumpy old f^ck? He is a grumpy old f^ck.

Comment

From the article: Last year, UConn hired the same consulting firm used by the new National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC), to determine the school's capability for upgrading the program.

That must mean this is part of the greater conspiracy to destroy college hockey's smaller programs. Forget all the talk of them upgrading anything. This is meant to harm, not help.

Comment

Originally posted by theprofromdover View Post
                        I don't trust Uconn to follow through on any construction promises they make. Look at the problems Maine, UHN, Lowell, Zoomass and Vermont have in getting funds. I'll be happy with 11 until they obtain financing and break ground on a campus rink.
                        This I'll agree with. No half promises which can be walked back. The other issue is that Hockey East forced a bit of a schedule quandry by taking ND (foolishly)... but you don't compound bad with bad. Any acceptance should be conditional on an arena-based expulsion clause.

Skating Friar Jersey

Comment

Is this like them "Applying" for the ACC before they got the ol middle finger?

Pass

Comment

Just throwing it out there: what do people think of playing games at the Hartford Civic Center? Think they could draw a crowd or too far from campus? I dont know anything about the area so I have no idea
                            #OneKnight

Comment

UConn can go pound sand - stay out of Hockey East!
                              National Champions: 2012, 2010, 2008, 2001, 1949
                              Hockey East Tournament Champions: 2012, 2011, 2010, 2008, 2007, 2005, 2001, 1999, 1998, 1990, 1987
                              Hockey East Regular Season Champions: 2014, 2012, 2011, 2005, 2004, 2003, 2001, 1991, 1990, 1989, 1987, 1986, 1985

Originally posted by SteveF
                              two things you need to know about the current state of BU hockey

a) fanboys chanted 'thank you seniors' at the beanpot
                              b) fanboys chanted 'wheres your beanpot' while getting blown out in the semis of the HE tournament

Comment

Working...
                              X