X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: MOVIES: New Ideas Welcome!

Sausage Party:

It's about what you would expect, for the dick and fart jokes. However, the stereotype jokes/etc....wow! Lewd, crude, offensive....it was awesome. And the end scene...JFC. ***.

Definitely recommend.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
      Sausage Party:

It's about what you would expect, for the dick and fart jokes. However, the stereotype jokes/etc....wow! Lewd, crude, offensive....it was awesome. And the end scene...JFC. ***.

Definitely recommend.
      I was rolling through most of the movie, but didn't even know how to respond when watching that scene at the end. It's perfectly in line with the rest of the movie, but they just turned it up to 11. That's one more.
      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
        I was rolling through most of the movie, but didn't even know how to respond when watching that scene at the end. It's perfectly in line with the rest of the movie, but they just turned it up to 11. That's one more.
        My brother and his woman watched it, asked if I had seen it, and when I said no, their exact response was: "End scene. Dude. Just..."
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Some TV show last night listed their top Christmas movies, and while I would have chosen many of the movies on the list, I definitely would have ordered them differently.

For example, It's a Wonderful Life is not really a "Christmas" movie, it's a movie of despair and redemption that happens to be set at Christmas time. Even so, I'd have it # 6 on my list.

# 5. Elf
          # 4. animated version of "How the Grinch Stole Christmas"
          # 3. The Alistair Sim version of A Christmas Carol
          # 2. A Christmas Story
          # 1. The Edmund Gwenn / Natalie Wood version of Miracle on 34th Street

PS At this link there is a great story about how It's a Wonderful Life helped Jimmy Stewart get back into acting again. He suffered terribly from PTSD as a result of his service during WWII, and there was some concern that he wouldn't be able to take up acting again. His scenes of despair in the movie reflected what he was going through in his life at the time, and according to the article, it was Lionel Barrymore that helped him regain his bearings during the movie's production:
          While he was making that film, he was questioning the superficiality of Hollywood and acting in general, and Lionel Barrymore (who plays Mr. Potter) said to him, "So, are you saying it's more worthwhile to drop bombs on people than to entertain them?" And that really hit Stewart and was one of the things that turned him around and made him think, "OK, I do have an important role and there are things to be done."
          "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
            PS At this link there is a great story about how It's a Wonderful Life helped Jimmy Stewart get back into acting again. He suffered terribly from PTSD as a result of his service during WWII, and there was some concern that he wouldn't be able to take up acting again. His scenes of despair in the movie reflected what he was going through in his life at the time, and according to the article, it was Lionel Barrymore that helped him regain his bearings during the movie's production:
            I had not heard this before; thanks for posting it.
            Cornell University
            National Champion 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Favorite 5 Christmas Movies / 5 TV Animations:

5. Frosty (though to be fair Frosty kinda sucks)
              4. Rudolph
              3. Charlie Brown
              2. Grinch
              1. Santa Claus is Coming to Town (I identified with the Winter Warlock as a child)

5. The Ref
              4. Trading Places
              3. Black Christmas
              2. A Christmas Story
              1. Holiday Inn
              Cornell University
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

A Christmas Story
                Animated Grinch (if you count that as movie, not a tv special)
                National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation
                A Christmas Carol (George C Scott version; technially a tv movie)
                Gremlins

Comment

A Christmas Story sucks.
                  Code:
                  As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                  College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                  BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                  Originally posted by SanTropez
                  May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                  Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                  I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                  Originally posted by Kepler
                  When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                  He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                    A Christmas Story sucks.
                    You haven't seen Ferris Bueller, so your opinion doesn't count, Millennial.

Comment

#5 Santa Clause (watched it growing up a lot)
                      #4 Home Alone
                      #3 Scrooged
                      #2 Die Hard
                      #1 Christmas Vacation

Honorable Mention to the animated Grinch and Charlie Brown, both of which I thought were tv specials and thus disqualified.

Comment

A Christmas Story sucks.
                        You're pure evil.

Rogue One. So as with Ep 7 there are some recycled themes, similar origins for the protagonist and battle sequences, etc. But it all still works together in the end for an entertaining two hours. As with 7 it started slowly for me interest wise, but as the story and characters begin to develop my engagement ratcheted up. They do a good job showcasing most of the obvious ties with Ep 4 although I was really hoping for at least one, "AHA!" moment/big reveal that would have made me think, "I really have to watch A New Hope" again but maybe that's an impossible task. My other critique is that I wasn't quite as invested in the newly introduced characters even before the ending because it's hard to knowing they're not represented in any of the subsequent films but still overall I enjoyed it. As with all of the films except 1-3 I will watch this one at least one more time in the theater, next time I'm going to see it in IMAX without the kids.

Comment

A Christmas Story sucks.
                          Slowly I turned...

I'm going to choose to believe you're being deliberately perverse. Someday you will accept Jean Shepherd as your personal savior.
                          Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                            You haven't seen Ferris Bueller, so your opinion doesn't count, Millennial.
                            No he is right. A Christmas Story is a cancer and not having cable is my chemo!
                            "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                            -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                            -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                            -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                              There were no Saudi terrorist attacks in the United States before the release of A Christmas Story.

I'm only asking the question.
                              Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                                I bet you shot your eye out as a child or stuck your tongue to some frozen object, and that's why you don't like it.
                                "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Working...
                                X