This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: POTUS 45.20 - Doddering Dotards Dodging Detente

I guess what it comes down to for me is this. If Buffett or Gates or Zuckerberg or whoever wants to leave a zillion dollars to their family, give it to charity or snort it up their nose in cocaine, I don't really care. It's their money. They earned it. I find nothing unfair about their kids getting a "head start" (do we really refer to inheriting a billion dollars as only a "head start"?) over the rest of us.

I guess you have to go to an Ivy League school before you are graced with the moral and legal authority to declare what is or is not "fair." But personally, I find nothing "fair" about the state stepping in and claiming large chunks of it just because it can, or because someone thinks that it's only "fair" if they do so.
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

While we're still no the subject of inheritance taxes... https://www.infowars.com/inheritance...ommunist-envy/

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
        I'm not Kepler, I don't advocate for a 90 percent estate tax.
        Don't misrepresent me. I advocate a 99% estate tax.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
          I guess what it comes down to for me is this. If Buffett or Gates or Zuckerberg or whoever wants to leave a zillion dollars to their family, give it to charity or snort it up their nose in cocaine, I don't really care. It's their money. They earned it. I find nothing unfair about their kids getting a "head start" (do we really refer to inheriting a billion dollars as only a "head start"?) over the rest of us.

I guess you have to go to an Ivy League school before you are graced with the moral and legal authority to declare what is or is not "fair." But personally, I find nothing "fair" about the state stepping in and claiming large chunks of it just because it can, or because someone thinks that it's only "fair" if they do so.
          Meh. There are as many meanings of "fair" as, to paraphrase Thoreau, radii from the center of a circle. I just want all the teams to start each April at 0-0. I'm not limiting the winning streak you can go on during the season. Win your division by 30, go wild. You just don't get to pass those games ahead on to the next season.
          Cornell University
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

But being an American still makes me smile though.
            Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
            USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
              Jesus.

Wrapped in vapidity and carrying a mirror.
              Well if they are doing nothing wrong they wont have to worry right? #thingswhiterepublicansthink
              "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
              -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
              -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
              -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                Meh. There are as many meanings of "fair" as, to paraphrase Thoreau, radii from the center of a circle. I just want all the teams to start each April at 0-0. I'm not limiting the winning streak you can go on during the season. Win your division by 30, go wild. You just don't get to pass those games ahead on to the next season.
                I don't think what is fair really matters. What is best for the country counts a lot more in my opinion.
                Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                  I don't think what is fair really matters. What is best for the country counts a lot more in my opinion.
                  Well, what is best for the country is to reduce inequality. Our bifurcation into a tiny rich class and a huge poor class, which began when the top rates were cut and then social programs were scaled back and replaced by the explosion of the military budget, is destroying America, just as it did in the 19th and early 20th century until the New Deal reversed it.

We need to repeat the non-violent revolution of 1932. Income redistribution fosters a middle class and the country thrives. Laissez faire fosters a wealthy ruling class (transnational, BTW, not American) and destroys the country.
                  Last edited by Kepler; 09-28-2017, 03:42 PM.
                  Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                    Well if they are doing nothing wrong they wont have to worry right? #thingswhiterepublicansthink
                    Sadly I don't think that's limited to Republicans.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                      Well, what is best for the country is to reduce inequality. Our bifurcation into a tiny rich class and a huge poor class, which began when the top rates were cut and then social programs were scaled back and replaced by the explosion of the military budget, is destroying America, just as it did in the 19th and early 20th century until the New Deal reversed it.

We need to repeat the non-violent revolution of 1932. Income redistribution fosters a middle class and the country thrives. Laissez faire fosters a wealthy ruling class (transnational, BTW, not American) and destroys the country.
                      Agree, and the higher percentage of money that is earned through wages versus investment is much better for the country. I wouldn't support the extremely high rates you proposed last night, but think somewhere around 40% over $5MM would do nicely. The good thing with the estate tax is it encourages people not to just sit on money too.

The thing I would like to see even more than the estate tax is a much higher minimum wage. I know it's not a perfect solution but I think it would get a lot of people off the couch. Businesses look at it as a negative but I think for a lot of them it could help them revenue wise enough to offset any increase in expenses.
                      Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                      Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Some of you guys should feel bad for how mean you've been to Drew.
                        Originally posted by WiscTJK
                        I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                        Originally posted by Timothy A
                        Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                          The thing I would like to see even more than the estate tax is a much higher minimum wage. I know it's not a perfect solution but I think it would get a lot of people off the couch. Businesses look at it as a negative but I think for a lot of them it could help them revenue wise enough to offset any increase in expenses.
                          Businesses that employ people for minimum wage also tend to have them for customers (Restaurants, Retail, Service, etc). The increase in purchasing power for their customers would more than offset the wages increase. Henry Ford knew he had to pay his workers enough for them to buy his cars.

Another huge improvement would be the unionization of service labor. If the entire McDonald's workforce belong to a union, they have power when they negotiate for wages and benefits. As it stands employers play workers off against each other and it's a race to the bottom.
                          Last edited by Kepler; 09-28-2017, 04:16 PM.
                          Cornell University

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post

Once you have money it's easier to make more money. In your world the top 0.1% will accumulate more and more wealth (even worse than now). Welcome to the oligarchy.

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                              Some of you guys should feel bad for how mean you've been to Drew.
                              Drew is a Democrat except for guns.
                              Joe is a Democrat except for abortions.
                              Wisko would be a Democrat, but we don't need no stinkin' badgers!
                              Code:
                              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                              Originally posted by SanTropez
                              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                              Originally posted by Kepler
                              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                                ... or snort it up their nose in cocaine, I don't really care. It's their money. They earned it.
                                Where'd all ...
                                The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Working...
                                X