Exhibition Scoreboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhibition Scoreboard

Saw this thread on another forum and enjoyed it, so I thought I'd start one here. Just a place to keep track of and discuss games against non-NCAA opponents (CIS, ACHA, etc.). I don't think you can always read too much into these exhibition games, but its always fun I think to see how our NCAA schools stack up against teams from other leagues. So here we go!

NCAA Exhibition scoreboard for September 30, 2016:

Simon Fraser (BCIHL) 1 @ Alaska-Anchorage 6

The 2016-17 exhibition slate kicks of with 6-1 win for UAA over Simon Fraser University of the British Columbia Intercollegiate Hockey League (BCIHL). SFU is rumored to be looking at jumping to NCAA DI in the near future. Later this year the Clan will be traveling down to Tempe, AZ for a pair of games against the Sun Devils.
    Frozen Four: 1998, 2018

NCAA Tournament: 1998, 1999, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2009, 2017, 2018, 2019

The Ohio State University '18
    University of Western Ontario '19

Re: Exhibition Scoreboard

NCAA Exhibition scoreboard for October 1, 2016:

Windsor (CIS) 2 @ #14 Bowling Green 3
    UPEI (CIS) 2 @ #4 Boston University 10
    UQTR (CIS) 4 @ Clarkson 3
    Mount Royal (CIS) 1 @ #3 Denver 4
    Carleton (CIS) 5 @ Holy Cross 7
    UNB (CIS) 3 @ Merrimack 5
    Guelph (CIS) 6 @ Mercyhurst 2
    Regina (CIS) 3 @ Minnesota State 5
    Waterloo (CIS) 1 @ Miami 8
    Western Ontario (CIS) 2 @ Niagara 1
    Acadia (CIS) 1 @ #15 Northeastern 3
    McGill (CIS) 1 @ #2 Quinnipiac 2
    Brock (CIS) 0 @ RIT 3
    Queen's (CIS) 2 @ Robert Morris 2 in OT
    St. FX (CIS) 4 @ UConn 3
    Dalhousie (CIS) 5 @ UMass 7
    Manitoba (CIS) 1 @ #1 North Dakota 5
    Concordia (CIS) 3 @ Vermont 2
    Victoria (BCIHL) 1 @ Wisconsin 10
    Toronto (CIS) 4 @ Western Michigan 3

Highlights of the night include #14 Bowling Green earning a hard-fought win over the Windsor Lancers. According to the BGSU thread here on the forum, fighting in the game has resulted in suspensions for three Falcons players. Apparently there was also some fighting at the end of #3 Denver's 4-1 win over Mount Royal University. There were a few upsets tonight, with the Université du Québec à Trois-Rivières Patriotes, University of Guelph Gryphons, University of Western Ontario Mustangs, St. Francis Xavier University X-Men, Concordia University Stingers and University of Toronto Varsity Blues all scoring wins against NCAA opponents tonight. Additionally, the Queen's University Golden Gaels earned a 2-2 tie with Robert Morris.

Comment

I looked at all the games played today and it appears that the NCAA is cracking down on all penalties and has also told the officials to call majors when warranted. Here are the games, PIMs and majors called:

New Brunswick at Merrimack - 172 PIM, 4 majors (hitting from behind, high sticking, slashing, contact to the head)
      Windsor at Bowling Green - 168 PIM, 8 majors (5 fighting, 1 charging the goalie, 1 abuse of officials, 1 head-butting)
      Western Ontario at Niagara - 161 PIM, 9 majors (8 facemasking, 1 slashing)
      Prince Edward Island at Boston University - 122 PIM, 4 majors (2 roughing, 1 clipping, 1 hitting from behind)
      Acadia at Northeastern - 114 PIM, 2 majors (contact to the head, facemasking)
      Québec à Trois-Rivières at Clarkson - 69 PIM, 3 majors (2 roughing, 1 hitting from behind)
      Brock at RIT - 67 PIM, 1 major (facemasking)
      Dalhousie at Massachusetts - 66 PIM, 2 majors (hitting from behind)
      Waterloo at Miami - 64 PIM, 2 majors (kneeing, cross-checking)
      Guelph at Mercyhurst - 57 PIM, 1 major (checking from behind)
      McGill at Quinnipiac - 54 PIM, 2 majors (elbowing, cross-checking)
      Mount Royal at Denver - 51 PIM, 3 majors (boarding, checking from behind, fighting)
      Concordia at Vermont - 48 PIM
      Toronto at Western Michigan - 42 PIM
      Carleton at Holy Cross - 37 PIM, 1 major (contact to the head - cross-checking)
      St. Francis Xavier at Connecticut - 35 PIM, 1 major (contact to the head - high sticking)
      Queen's at Robert Morris - 31 PIM, 1 major (infraction not listed)
      Victoria at Wisconsin - 26 PIM
      Manitoba at North Dakota - 20 PIM
      Regina at Minnesota State - 20 PIM

Of the 20 games 15 had at least 1 major called and there were 44 majors called in total. It will be interesting to see how the 18 games Sunday are called and how the teams adjust to the officiating.

Sean
      Last edited by Sean Pickett; 10-02-2016, 10:59 PM.
      Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
      Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
      BU Hockey highlights and extras
      NCAA Hockey Financials
      Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
      I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Wow. I wonder if the NCAA is just using the exhibition games as a sort of warning shot across the bow for the teams, or if this is really the type of officiating we can expect all season. I guess as long as they call things consistently I don't really care, but a million penalties a game can get old real quick.

Comment

I watched the Merrimack vs University of New Brunswick game and it was one of the ugliest university games I have ever watched. One fact into why these CIS vs NCAA games have so many penalties is because the CIS players don't have to worry about repercussions for their actions. No suspensions would be carried over back to their own league.

I should also point out that CIS players do not play with full face shields and sometimes feel that their NCAA opponents take advantage of that ie - face washing, excessive high sticking.
          So things can sometimes turn really ugly.

Comment

The major in the Holy Cross and Cartleton game was a vicious elbow by a Holy Cross player to the Carleton player's head. I thought a DQ was warranted actually.

Besides that call and a ten minute misconduct on Carleton for running his mouth at the ref, it was a pretty lackluster game with zero physical play.
            Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

What happened to the scores forum?

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
                I looked at all the games played today and it appears that the NCAA is cracking down on all penalties and has also told the officials to call majors when warranted. Here are the games, PIMs and majors called:

New Brunswick at Merrimack - 172 PIM, 4 majors (hitting from behind, high sticking, slashing, contact to the head)
                Windsor at Bowling Green - 168 PIM, 8 majors (5 fighting, 1 charging the goalie, 1 abuse of officials, 1 head-butting)
                Western Ontario at Niagara - 161 PIM, 9 majors (8 facemasking, 1 slashing)
                Prince Edward Island at Boston University - 122 PIM, 4 majors (2 roughing, 1 clipping, 1 hitting from behind)
                Acadia at Northeastern - 114 PIM, 2 majors (contact to the head, facemasking)
                Québec à Trois-Rivières at Clarkson - 69 PIM, 3 majors (2 roughing, 1 hitting from behind)
                Brock at RIT - 67 PIM, 1 major (facemasking)
                Dalhousie at Massachusetts - 66 PIM, 2 majors (hitting from behind)
                Waterloo at Miami - 64 PIM, 2 majors (kneeing, cross-checking)
                Guelph at Mercyhurst - 57 PIM, 1 major (checking from behind)
                Mount Royal at Denver - 51 PIM, 3 majors (boarding, checking from behind, fighting)
                Concordia at Vermont - 48 PIM
                Toronto at Western Michigan - 42 PIM
                Carleton at Holy Cross - 37 PIM, 1 major (contact to the head - cross-checking)
                St. Francis Xavier at Connecticut - 35 PIM, 1 major (contact to the head - high sticking)
                Queen's at Robert Morris - 31 PIM, 1 major (infraction not listed)
                Victoria at Wisconsin - 26 PIM
                Manitoba at North Dakota - 20 PIM
                Regina at Minnesota State - 20 PIM

Of the 20 games 15 had at least 1 major called and there were 44 majors called in total. It will be interesting to see how the 20 games Sunday are called and how the teams adjust to the officiating.

Sean
                Obviously some of those came with Game DQs, so they're suspended for the next game, according to 23.1, which does state a player may be suspended from an exhibition. I don't know if the suspension from a Game DQ can carry over for the Canadian visitors, though, because that's up to their league. NCAA doesn't allow exhibitions to be served for suspensions.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                  Obviously some of those came with Game DQs, so they're suspended for the next game, according to 23.1, which does state a player may be suspended from an exhibition. I don't know if the suspension from a Game DQ can carry over for the Canadian visitors, though, because that's up to their league. NCAA doesn't allow exhibitions to be served for suspensions.
                  If I counted correctly there were 8 DQs and 29 GMs handed out along with the 44 majors. Of the 8 DQs, 5 went to Canadian teams and 3 to Bowling Green.

Sean
                  Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                  Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                  BU Hockey highlights and extras
                  NCAA Hockey Financials
                  Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                  I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Originally posted by Rob View Post
                    I watched the Merrimack vs University of New Brunswick game and it was one of the ugliest university games I have ever watched. One fact into why these CIS vs NCAA games have so many penalties is because the CIS players don't have to worry about repercussions for their actions. No suspensions would be carried over back to their own league.

I should also point out that CIS players do not play with full face shields and sometimes feel that their NCAA opponents take advantage of that ie - face washing, excessive high sticking.
                    So things can sometimes turn really ugly.

Each year after the opening weekend of exhibition games against CIS teams, I see complaints on these boards about the "goon" hockey brought down by the Canadian schools and that these games shouldn't be scheduled in the future. Being Canadian and a UNB alum who has watched CIS hockey for well over 30 years, I'll offer my take on these annual exhibition contests. I'll add that I have also closely followed NCAA Division I hockey for just as long - even more closely during the past 10-15 years as I now make regular trips south of the border for regular-season games, Regionals, and the Frozen Four each year.

I agree with many that the style of play in the CIS is quite different than that of the NCAA. We all know that a typical CIS roster is usually a few years older and bigger than many NCAA teams, and some CIS players have played junior hockey previous to enrollment at their college/university. I believe it's common knowledge that the style of play and the rules that govern such is quite different between the two. From the facemask issue to differences in tolerance related to fighting and aggressive play to the fact the Canadian schools have already played a couple of games prior to visiting the NCAA campuses - it's really no surprise that we see some of these games get out of hand each year. I think another big reason for this is the fact that many (if not all...) of these Canadian schools come to the US with a "chip on their shoulder" - feeling that they're seen as inferior to their US counterparts. They want to prove they can play with the NCAA, and if they see they can't, they resort to the kind of play that was displayed last night in many games. Each year a few CIS teams do beat the NCAA schools, but it's rare. As mentioned by Rob above, without suspensions or repercussions to carry back to their CIS leagues, the Canadians have a free shot to play any style they want to.

I know some NCAA coaches like to schedule these games as a tune-up for the start of the DI schedule. My concern is players getting injured during their first game from hits from behind, stickwork, fighting, etc. Imaging having a player hurt or suspended (I'm sure it's happened over the years...) playing these essentially meaningless games. I have no problem with the different styles of play, but I'd prefer to see rules changed (carry-over suspensions/penalties) so the Canadian schools don't have a "free" shot to play the kind of hockey the NCAA squads are not allowed to play.

Rob - my post wasn't suggesting that YOU thought the Canadians goon it up each year, I just used your post as a starting point to mine - because after the gong-show that was displayed last night, we usually see many posts the next day complaining about the Canadian schools.

I love talking NCAA DI hockey and related topics (like this one...) with anyone. I'll be at Maine's opener vs RPI next Friday night in Orono, and at Colgate the weekend of Oct.28/29 for the Black Bears/Raiders games - I'm looking forward to meeting and talking with fellow NCAA hockey fans!
                    Last edited by Hoover; 10-02-2016, 12:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoover View Post
                      I know some NCAA coaches like to schedule these games as a tune-up for the start of the DI schedule. My concern is players getting injured during their first game from hits from behind, stickwork, fighting, etc. Imaging having a player hurt or suspended (I'm sure it's happened over the years...) playing these essentially meaningless games. I have no problem with the different styles of play, but I'd prefer to see rules changed (carry-over suspensions/penalties) so the Canadian schools don't have a "free" shot to play the kind of hockey the NCAA squads are not allowed to play.
                      Rule 23.1, final paragraph:

A player who receives a disqualification penalty in any game (including
                      exhibition games) shall not be permitted to play in the team’s next played
                      regular-season or tournament game against an NCAA member institution.
                      Exhibition games cannot be used to fulfill the disqualification.
                      Three Bowling Green students are suspended from the next game because of the goonery. I'm sure we'll hear "then don't participate" or "don't fight back" excuses, but it's a bit tough when they're the ones instigating and you have to defend yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post

Three Bowling Green students are suspended from the next game because of the goonery. I'm sure we'll hear "then don't participate" or "don't fight back" excuses, but it's a bit tough when they're the ones instigating and you have to defend yourself.
                        My point exactly - nothing good comes from these types of games (at least from an NCAA point-of-view).

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
                          Both majors against McGoon... I mean McGill. We see this every time a Canadian school comes to town. As Hoover said, they come with a chip on their shoulders for whatever reason. I do fear someone will get hurt during these games.

Last night was filled with a ton of after-the-whistle stuff. Lots of high stick work, slashes, and facewashing too. They were clearly bigger than us, and a whole bunch older, but didn't play with any discipline and it ultimately cost them. We were so bad news bears-like that we couldn't capitalize on either of the 5-min majors.
                          Quinnipiac Bobcats
                          2023 National Champions
                          ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
                          ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
                          East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions)
                          Northeast Regional:

West Regional: 2015, 2021
                          Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
                          Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

Why not just play other NCAA teams in exhibition games? Is it fear that losing to another NCAA team might hurt their ranking?

Comment

Originally posted by Rob View Post
                              Why not just play other NCAA teams in exhibition games? Is it fear that losing to another NCAA team might hurt their ranking?
                              It counts against your 34-game limit. Even if you play a D-III team.

Comment

Working...
                              X