No announcement yet.

2018 USA Olympic Women's Hockey Team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finn player in the corner got on the wrong side of the battle and then instead of trying to go up the boards she put the puck back into the two tangled players and it slid through to MLam who attacked the net and scored on her own second rebound for the first US goal. Great pass by Knight to set up the PP goal for the 2-1 lead after that. The US kept things much simpler in the 2nd period and they got rewarded. Very fun game to watch.

Comment

• Re: 2018 USA Olympic Women's Hockey Team

Noora got her wish in not giving up a goal to a Gopher ("No gophers shall pass") as per the announcers, but Dani Cameranesi still scored the 3rd goal on an empty netter for the US in a nice win.
      Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 02-11-2018, 10:15 AM. Reason: Noora's still the best!
      "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

http://results.nbcolympics.com/hocke...group-a/586969

Time on ice stats are a thing now for women’s hockey! Nice win by the US. I am a softie but I loved the smile on Rooney’s face after she got her first Olympic win.

Comment

• Originally posted by shelfit View Post
          Who else here is going to be tuning in to see the game live an hour from now?
          I just watched the replay. No way was I going to stay up last night... But I will for the gold medal game.

I was impressed with Finland. If they don’t win bronze, I’ll be shocked.
          Russell Jaslow
          [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
          U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
            I just watched the replay. No way was I going to stay up last night... But I will for the gold medal game.

I was impressed with Finland. If they don’t win bronze, I’ll be shocked.
            Agreed....they looked strong. US just wore them down.

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

Originally posted by bluffrinkrat View Post
              Noora got her wish in not giving up a goal to a Gopher...
              Maybe she forgot that once upon a time Monique Lamoureux was a Gopher, so no...
              Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by Birdwatcher View Post
                Agreed....they looked strong. US just wore them down.
                Looked like their lack of depth began to take a toll as the game wore on. For spectators the lack of commercial breaks (or those "media time-outs") was wonderful, but they certainly would have been a great help to the Finns.

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                  For spectators the lack of commercial breaks (or those "media time-outs") was wonderful, but they certainly would have been a great help to the Finns.
                  Good point. But even though the US looked like a starving dog with a pork chop clenched between their collective teeth I don't think that this game was a guarantee by any means since the Finns had several opportunities to score but just didn't capitalize and they never rolled over. This game could have gone either way although the US appeared to more consistently force the issue and exercise their will...looked like they were on a mission...and it's understandable that they would even look at it that way...four Olympic Games and counting. But I am hugely impressed by Team Finland.

I find it hilarious how commentators quickly jump ship from singing the praises of a player (to make sure that the viewer is duly informed and to create more interest in the game, which will bring the eyes back next time which will make the advertisers happy to continue to open their wallets) to creating doubt about that player's ability to compete in prime time as soon as anything less than perfection is displayed by that particular player.

Up here Casssie Campbell provided the colour (nothing against her, I like her) and I don't recall who did the play by play. But as soon as Rooney looked less than perfect it was...no Olympic experience, just 20 years old, an unknown until about a year and a half ago, blah blah blah...which is all factually accurate (except that she wasn't unknown to those who knew her or of her) but at the same time you get the sense that the accolades that they were bestowing on any particular player in question just 10-20 minutes earlier had somehow just lost a lot of their seemingly inherent capital and that they had just stowed their pom poms in the old dust covered attic trunk and clicked the padlock on it back into the closed position and turned off the light.

They all do it. Just an observation.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
                    Up here Casssie Campbell provided the colour (nothing against her, I like her) and I don't recall who did the play by play.
                    We had Tessa Bonhomme back in studio, and I think that was a poor decision. She is far more poised and in control of what comes out of her mouth than A.J. is, and I think it's a waste to just have her working for ~ 5 minutes while A.J. prattles on for two hours.
                    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Ditto ARM, to the max! A total waste of knowledge and talent....I know it’s Lawler’s first go round on the big stage but it seems she is trying to insert her personal relationships that she was hired for, instead of analyzing the play......Bonhomme has that experience......and please don’t get me started on AJ! Is she the only one that NBC has video of calling a game? Anyone watching today’s games could see professional programs vs amateur......why didn’t she explain this instead of group A vs B? Even in watching Finland the difference in a team backed by a professional commitment. I give Russia credit, especially their goalie, for going that extra mile with nothing left in the tank......

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                        Maybe she forgot that once upon a time Monique Lamoureux was a Gopher, so no...
                        True, but I'm sure that the consensus among gopher fans would be that like Spock the Lamoureux's blood runs green not maroon and gold so...
                        "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

I'm seeing why Carpenter got cut now. This team is all about the regroup, speed, puck movement, and play on the periphery - not going to the net. Carpenter is a North South player who goes to the net who isn't particularly fast or a good puck handler - but she scores. If the USA wins gold no one will care - if they lose we'll be talking about why Carpenter wasn't there to score goals and they played more N-S

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                            We had Tessa Bonhomme back in studio, and I think that was a poor decision. She is far more poised and in control of what comes out of her mouth than A.J. is, and I think it's a waste to just have her working for ~ 5 minutes while A.J. prattles on for two hours.
                            Why wasn't the MSNBC feed part of the internet stream?
                            Far be it for me to critisize my fellow broadcasters, and however bad AJ may have been, she would have been a VAST improvement from those two misinformed amateurish boobs who worked the internet stream. Kept saying "Nora RAT-ee", and mispronouncing every other player's name. I mean...c'mon!!! I'm but no stretch perfect, but I can't endure listening to those two guys -- whose names I don't know because they never revealed that once throughout the stream -- call another game. Sounded worse than two college freshman on their first assignment.

Comment

• Originally posted by play-by-play guy View Post
                              Why wasn't the MSNBC feed part of the internet stream?
                              Far be it for me to critisize my fellow broadcasters, and however bad AJ may have been, she would have been a VAST improvement from those two misinformed amateurish boobs who worked the internet stream. Kept saying "Nora RAT-ee", and mispronouncing every other player's name. I mean...c'mon!!! I'm but no stretch perfect, but I can't endure listening to those two guys -- whose names I don't know because they never revealed that once throughout the stream -- call another game. Sounded worse than two college freshman on their first assignment.
                              The replay I watched was obviously the Internet stream. If that guy said "head on a swivel" one more time...
                              Russell Jaslow
                              [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                              U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

I was impressed with both Lamoureux's yesterday, including how they avoided retaliating and staying out of the box. This photo was on the front of the sports section in today's Star Tribune:

*******http://stmedia.stimg.co/08_100545585...w=2000********

Also this was an interesting tidbit in the article regarding the team composed of the "Olympic Athletes from Russia":

"Six women’s hockey players who competed in Sochi were among those given lifetime bans. Russia also was stripped of its sixth-place finish at the 2014 Winter Games. Last week, Russian media reported that the World Anti-Doping Agency took 16 of 23 Russian players to doping control before a practice shortly after their arrival in Pyeongchang."

http://www.startribune.com/u-s-women...d/473724043/#1

Comment

Working...
                                X