Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: BU season thread volume 3.1 cause board/priceless/tippycanoe deleted ours

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
    So, I read Adam Wodon's commentary and I have spent far too long on a reply, which I just posted and I am posting here as well. Please post any critical (or supportive) feedback

I’m not sure why you are going after Athletic Director Drew Marrochello and the BU administration so hard for hiring Albie O’Connell. You certainly didn’t go after Denver for their hiring of David Carle, despite at least one top candidate, UMass Lowell head coach Norm Bazin, applying for the job. I also don’t recall you saying anything when North Dakota hired Brad Berry within 48 hours of Dave Hakstol resigning in 2015. You complain about BU not considering several candidates seriously, yet North Dakota didn’t even bother to have a national search, let alone consider any other candidates seriously and no comment from you

As for BU, you imply that any candidate that has had professional coaching or general manager experience should automatically be seriously considered. Why? Professional coaching is quite a bit different than college coaching, with which you agree, but then dismiss. And while a number of NHL general managers and assistant GM’s have had coaching experience I would think that years away from the bench would be a negative, not a positive.

You specifically mention former Terriers Joe Sacco, Jay Pandolfo, Clark Donatelli, Steve Greely and John Hynes. I have heard that Sacco and Pandolfo applied from other sources, but not that Donatelli or Greeley applied. Do you have sources that can confirm that both applied for the job? And as for Hynes, he “put word through back channels that he would be at least willing to talk about the job,” yet he was unwilling to call Drew directly. I have no problem with Drew not getting back to Hynes since he probably had enough actual applications, as well as dozens and dozens of direct phone calls about the job. If Hynes wanted the job that badly I would have expected him to call Drew directly.

As for outsiders, it has been reported that Coach Bennett was a finalist for the job, so he was considered seriously yet you still question that. Furthermore, you have made it seem that BU has so much money lying around that paying Union half a million dollars to buyout his contract could be paid out of petty cash. I’m sorry, but according to EADA data for 2016-17 the men’s team’s total expenses were $3,438,964, so half a million would be 14.5% of that, quite a significant amount, despite your attempts to make it otherwise.

Also, Coach Bennett was promoted by Union with no head coaching experience (as was David Carle and Brad Berry). I don’t know why it was OK for Union (and Denver and North Dakota) to do so, but not BU.

As for you trying to dismiss BU requiring a degree, that has come under much discussion on the BU thread over of USCHO. Several posters have stated that it is an NCAA requirement, although I haven’t found anything that states it is. If so, your attacking BU and President Brown is disingenuous. If not, I’m still not sure why you are acting like BU should overlook a standard requirement of all, or almost all schools. You mention Wisconsin making an exception for Coach Granato, but how many other schools have made such an exception for hockey head and assistant coaches? Why should BU make an exception that is so rare it is almost unheard of?

You further state that the applicants not selected have paid their dues, implying Coach O’Connell has not paid his dues. You also make it seem that to be a head coach you must already have been a head coach, but if that was the case I once again refer to Coaches Bennett, Carle and Berry.

And what is wrong with Drew wanting a coach that will stay for the long term? If you look the most successful head coaches in college hockey almost all of them stayed at one school for over a decade and many for longer. And why do you imply that the best coaches will leave while those that stay the longest are not the best? Why can’t a coach be both the best and stay the longest?

As for your comment that if Coach O’Connell wins a NCAA title the NHL will come calling, I find it highly unlikely. Otherwise I would have already expected Minnesota-Duluth’s Scott Sandelin, North Dakota’s Brad Berry, Providence’s Nate Leaman, Yale’s Keith Allain and Union’s Rick Bennett to all have already been courted by NHL teams, if not hired by them.

And as for Coach O’Connell’s past infractions at Northeastern, if you had paid attention to the NCAA report it was not just Albie and the other hockey coaches, but also the track and field head coach and the men’s basketball team that had violations. I have not read the complete report on the basketball violations, but overall it appears reminiscent of Maine’s violations in the early nineties. And like Coach Walsh, Coach O’Connell paid for his mistake and has moved on.

Sean Pickett

meanwhile.. reaction at Wodon's office after reading your post..

https://youtu.be/VpvEP4Tm9DQ

GO NU HOCKEY
    Always bullish on the future.
    We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

• Originally posted by northeastern View Post
      meanwhile.. reaction at Wodon's office after reading your post..

https://youtu.be/VpvEP4Tm9DQ

Hey
      Can you please wrap up our new asst coach and send him over? kthanks
      a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
        Hey
        ha.. hey, if its too good to pass up.. who can stop him. however, hoping NU makes a case & he stays put.
        you guys have some other good choices, leave it at that & everybody's happy.
        GO NU HOCKEY
        Always bullish on the future.
        We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Comment

Not surprised Adam Wodon arrogantly dismissed Sean's thoroughly written rebuttal to his article. I've followed Adam for years on twitter and while I find him interesting, there has always been a streak of arrogance with him. He doesn't take too well to being challenged.

Comment

• Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
              Hey
              While people are mentioning Keefe, who appears to do all of the in-game coaching at Northeastern, what about Dennehy?
              He and Albie have worked together, he got a raw deal at Merrimack, is a class guy and decent coach (alma mater aside) and he is out of a job?
              He is a veteran coach with head coaching experience.
              Since Merrimack is still paying him for a year, he might not need a healthy contract for the first year.

Comment

Originally posted by Harry Cleverly View Post
                While people are mentioning Keefe, who appears to do all of the in-game coaching at Northeastern, what about Dennehy?
                He and Albie have worked together, he got a raw deal at Merrimack, is a class guy and decent coach (alma mater aside) and he is out of a job?
                He is a veteran coach with head coaching experience.
                Since Merrimack is still paying him for a year, he might not need a healthy contract for the first year.
                Coach Dennehy is now head coach of the Wheeling Nailers: http://wheelingnailers.com/news/nail...ehy-head-coach

Sean
                Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                BU Hockey highlights and extras
                NCAA Hockey Financials
                Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Originally posted by Tater View Post
                  Not surprised Adam Wodon arrogantly dismissed Sean's thoroughly written rebuttal to his article. I've followed Adam for years on twitter and while I find him interesting, there has always been a streak of arrogance with him. He doesn't take too well to being challenged.
                  I find it endlessly entertainingly hilarious that people accuse the writer of not liking "being challenged" - when there's an entire board of people here acting like the guy shot their dog because they can't take some mild criticism of their beloved school.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyFanClub View Post
                    I find it endlessly entertainingly hilarious that people accuse the writer of not liking "being challenged" - when there's an entire board of people here acting like the guy shot their dog because they can't take some mild criticism of their beloved school.
                    anyone who wants to make a living writing about college hockey is fine.

wodies problem is he (allegedly) took mookie's work many years ago when holy cross would have made the ncaa tourney as an at large if they lost the aha final due to the 'tuc' category. wodie (allegedly) went on uscho (before he started at chn) and (allegedly) wrote a piece two days afterward how he (allegedly) figured out this strange quirk. no mention how mookie laid it out on the boards (which of course wodie reads (allegedly) all the time (and still does (allegedly))).

allegedly

but beyond that wodie is a fine chap! his job is to write stuff and draw eyes. shank has been doing this for years.

Comment

anyhows.... let us put this puppy to bed.

Comment

time for offseason thread to begin.

Comment

Working...
                        X