Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: LSSU Lakers 2017 off-season thread

Originally posted by LSSULaker889294 View Post
    I wonder why Damon is unhappy in terms of scheduling dates? I'm guessing a lot of home games are when students are on break?
    he made it sound like there were a few times where we had 2-3 away games in a row on the schedule. He's hoping they can work in some home & homes or switch some weekends around so they don't run into that.

Also, does anyone know when the meeting is? I'm assuming sometime in the summer.
    LSSU Alumni & Fan.

Still a work in progress, but please join us at the (unofficial) Laker Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by CKrouth View Post
      The minimum salary in the AHL is roughly $49,000 per year. He most likely won't start there, though. The ECHL average salary is $600 per week with a few veterans close to $1,000 per week plus a furnished room. That isn't exactly big bucks dangling in the wind they are chasing, even if you throw in the signing bonus. Life after hockey comes quick and unless they make it to the NHL, that money isn't going to get them too far without needing other options.
      The article said if he plays ANYWHERE other than the NHL he will make a minimum of $70,000. Not sure where those numbers came from though. My point is, he is getting a signing bonus of almost $200,000 without even playing a game. Would you take that? Many would. Especially if you are not a "student" and are there just to play hockey. And he is starting in the AHL, as of right now.
      Originally Posted by aparch
      I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by Deman View Post
        he made it sound like there were a few times where we had 2-3 away games in a row on the schedule. He's hoping they can work in some home & homes or switch some weekends around so they don't run into that.

Also, does anyone know when the meeting is? I'm assuming sometime in the summer.
        Lot's of travel at the end of the season was a huge concern. Bemidji and Anchorage road trips.

April 27th- 30th
        BLEED BLUE

Comment

Originally posted by Suze View Post
          The article said if he plays ANYWHERE other than the NHL he will make a minimum of $70,000. Not sure where those numbers came from though. My point is, he is getting a signing bonus of almost $200,000 without even playing a game. Would you take that? Many would. Especially if you are not a "student" and are there just to play hockey. And he is starting in the AHL, as of right now.
          Good luck to Mitchell; I hope it works out well for him. Most of these contracts result in a college free agent being assigned immediately to an AHL team for a tryout. Whether they stick there or are sent down to an ECHL team is another matter; it normally depends upon how well a guy performs in his AHL tryout.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
            Kris Bindulis has signed a 3 year entry level contract with the Washington Capitals.
            A few of thoughts.

I understand when someone comes in and waves a contract and a big check in front of a young man who has always dreamed of playing professional hockey. However, it has to be tough on any coach to try to build continuity in his program and a team when someone chooses to leave after 1 or 2 years. I wish there would be some type of agreement similar to college football where kids stay at least 2 or 3 years. Staying for 2 or 3 years would give a coach a better opportunity to have continuity in his program and building a team; in addition building a closer relationship with the local and college communities. Unfortunately I don't it changing.

Good luck to Kris and others. I wish you guys would stay another year or two though, I think it would not only help you to develop your skills in addition helping the university.

On another note. I did make it to quite a few games this year and noted an improvement in play. I would say there was a remarkable difference in Damon's first year. I wish the team I saw soundly beat Minn. Mankota would have shown up more often.

I am looking forward to another new season in October!
            Go Lakers!

Comment

You got it right. LakerBaker is a troll.
              It's so nice to have that defined.

GFM
              Geof F. Morris
              UAH BSE MAE 2002
              UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by Laker54 View Post
                A few of thoughts.

I understand when someone comes in and waves a contract and a big check in front of a young man who has always dreamed of playing professional hockey. However, it has to be tough on any coach to try to build continuity in his program and a team when someone chooses to leave after 1 or 2 years. I wish there would be some type of agreement similar to college football where kids stay at least 2 or 3 years. Staying for 2 or 3 years would give a coach a better opportunity to have continuity in his program and building a team; in addition building a closer relationship with the local and college communities. Unfortunately I don't it changing...

I wish the team I saw soundly beat Minn. Mankota would have shown up more often.
                I like the way you're thinking, but as long as the OHL is out there, this isn't realistic for college hockey. A kid like Jack Eichel would never come to college if he knew he was bound for 2-3 years. Some might say that's OK; we'll survive. But the game is weakened if talented players won't come.

And "Mankota"? No one gets our school name right. But at least you didn't call us Mankato State.

Comment

Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
                  I like the way you're thinking, but as long as the OHL is out there, this isn't realistic for college hockey. A kid like Jack Eichel would never come to college if he knew he was bound for 2-3 years. Some might say that's OK; we'll survive. But the game is weakened if talented players won't come.

And "Mankota"? No one gets our school name right. But at least you didn't call us Mankato State.
                  the Screaming Eagles have a pretty good hockey team!
                  "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                    It's so nice to have that defined.

GFM
                    Pretty sure Suze defined it a while back

Comment

Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
                      Sorry about that.
                      Go Lakers!

Comment

Mitch Hults named to All-WCHA Second Team and Max Humitz named to WCHA All Rookie Team. Congratulations to both!
                        http://lssulakers.com/sports/m-hocke...20170309mh0dni
                        LSSU hockey-3 time NCAA champs 1988, 1992, 1994

Comment

Mitch Hults named to All-WCHA Second Team and Max Humitz named to WCHA All Rookie Team. Congratulations to both!
                          Yes, congratulations to both Mitch and Max. I imagine Luke Morgan also got some consideration for All Rookie Team.

Comment

Originally posted by Laker54 View Post
                            A few of thoughts.

I understand when someone comes in and waves a contract and a big check in front of a young man who has always dreamed of playing professional hockey. However, it has to be tough on any coach to try to build continuity in his program and a team when someone chooses to leave after 1 or 2 years. I wish there would be some type of agreement similar to college football where kids stay at least 2 or 3 years. Staying for 2 or 3 years would give a coach a better opportunity to have continuity in his program and building a team; in addition building a closer relationship with the local and college communities. Unfortunately I don't it changing.
                            That sort of rule would clearly be wrong-headed. We Americans are allowed to work for pay whenever we wish to. If the NCAA allowed a salary, and tendered a contract, it would be a different conversation, but that's no where near the case.

Comment

Great job Guys! Looking forward to seeing you play again in October.
                              Go Lakers!

Comment

Yes, congratulations to both Mitch and Max. I imagine Luke Morgan also got some consideration for All Rookie Team.
                                I also imagine Henke got some consideration for All 3rd Team.
                                LSSU hockey-3 time NCAA champs 1988, 1992, 1994

Comment

Working...
                                X