Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Wolverines 2016-2017 Season

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
    On a vacation note, wT- the colors must be pretty impressive in Vermont and New Hampshire. At least you have that to enjoy.
    along with the snow....?

Comment

Originally posted by streaker View Post
      along with the snow....?
      Really.... funny considering how warm it is here.

Comment

Yes snow. Leaves were pretty, but it was overcast and rainy/snowy all weekend.

I'm not sure I want to comment on last night's game. We looked decent in the first period. But that was because Dartmouth is not good. We gave up so many opportunities that other teams would have capitalized on.
        Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
        wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
        7 B1G
        7 CCHA (all except St Thomas)
        6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
        5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
        5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
        2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
        2 Alaskan

Comment

So if this team keeps going the way they are, this thread is going to end up being a low end Alumni travel thread.

Comment

Certainly respect for your decision to refrain your comments on last night's game. However, a win is a win no matter how the other team looks combined with how your team played. Yes, Dartmouth could have capitalized on more opportunities, especially the full 2 minute 5 on 3 but they are young and inexperienced. While they did not cash in, their D held up except for the two PP goals you guys scored. Overall, 5 on 5 IMHO Dartmouth was the better team last night; I'll reiterate last night. Thanks for visiting and safe travels!

Comment

Not being able to generate shots (outshot in every single game) is what's going to make this season a disaster, not the goalies or defense.

Pretty much looking at a 2014-15 Wisconsin season right now unless things change drastically.

At least Red didn't pass this disaster off to the next guy and is taking it in the chin this year when it's no tournament for the 4th time in 5 years.
              ---
              National Champions: 1948, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1955, 1956, 1964, 1996, 1998
              Frozen Four: 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1962, 1964, 1977, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2011, 2018
              19 Conference Championships
              10 Conference Tournament Championships
              2 Hobey Baker Winners

@UMichWD on Twitter

Comment

Red had quite a run at MI. and now maybe it is just time for him to go out and enjoy retirement before age catches up with him .

Comment

I think Red's retirement package will be pulling the sheet up over his head behind the bench. LOL!
                  Seriously though, I truly respect the man and will miss him when he's gone. After all these years it would seem strange not seeing him there.

Comment

Originally posted by MGoBlueHockey View Post
                    Not being able to generate shots (outshot in every single game) is what's going to make this season a disaster, not the goalies or defense.

Pretty much looking at a 2014-15 Wisconsin season right now unless things change drastically.
                    You have 3/4 of the wins they had all season already

Comment

Originally posted by sm2pk View Post
                      Red had quite a run at MI. and now maybe it is just time for him to go out and enjoy retirement before age catches up with him .
                      I don't think any program can recover from the type of roster gutting that this one took the last couple of seasons. Think about it- they lost a Hobey candidate or three the last two seasons. Multiple underclass defections and graduation losses. There are adequate holdovers left, but mostly 2-3rd line talent. The freshmen will be decent in the future but are getting a dose of big boy hockey. Be happy for one thing- they seem to have found some goaltending, which, above many things was a main reason they were not competitive enough to make NCAA tournaments.

I don't know how that is Red's fault, but go ahead, pick the low hanging fruit. I appreciate the kind comments about him, though.

I also expect better from the Michigan fans, too.

IMHO, the issues rest with the system being run- like trying to fit a square peg into a round hole- with the developed talent on this team. Defense takes work and a proper supporting structure. Right now the defense has to be sold out to generate any offense. Meanwhile, our goaltenders are being shelled. I don't think that is all on Red, either- there is a coaching team in place. The proof will be when Red finally leaves and a new system (and coaching staff) is in place.

/rantover

Comment

Originally posted by streaker View Post
                        I don't think any program can recover from the type of roster gutting that this one took the last couple of seasons. Think about it- they lost a Hobey candidate or three the last two seasons. Multiple underclass defections and graduation losses. There are adequate holdovers left, but mostly 2-3rd line talent. The freshmen will be decent in the future but are getting a dose of big boy hockey. Be happy for one thing- they seem to have found some goaltending, which, above many things was a main reason they were not competitive enough to make NCAA tournaments.
                        This is what I told fans I met last weekend. Some of them knew about the CCM line, I mention they could all have been back this year. I also mention that we lost our top defensive pairing. Losing your starters, none of which were seniors takes a lot of talent off a team (and in Downing's case, probably removes a few stupid penalties as well).
                        I know we must accept that recruiting top talent often means they leave after 2 or 3 years; or in the case of Connor and Larkin, 1 year. I try not to reflect on the team we'd have if everyone stayed for 4 years, but it's such an appealing fantasy (Compher, Connor, Motte, Werenski, Larkin, Downing).

Looking to what we have this season to work with: After last weekend's hockey I'm in pessimist mode. If we lose to Arizona State, I'll go into full pessimist mode. I'm not there yet. I'm clinging to the hope that these young players figure out how to play like a team.

Maybe I should set small goals to hope for. Like, please don't get outshot eleventy billion to ten.
                        Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
                        wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
                        7 B1G
                        7 CCHA (all except St Thomas)
                        6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
                        5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
                        5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
                        2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
                        2 Alaskan

Comment

No need to go into full pessimist mode, thankfully. 4-1 for us.

I've not seen the box score or and highlights, so I have no idea what happened other than us scoring more than them.

BU next week is going to be a massive challenge.

Comment

So some notes from a live review on another site, and reading the box score....

Nagelvoort got the start. And the review has him making some key saves in the 2nd. With Lavigne and Lafontaine not taking charge of the net, we now have a 3 way play for the starting time. Zach's one goal against was a bad D pinch that lead to a 2x1.

DeJong got his first career goal. First? After all this time the first? I would have never dreamed of that. Good for him!

Lockwood got 2, and my man Piazza got yet another point- he's wracking them up pretty well. (for me, it will be interesting to see him play in our zone to see if he's improving there, too)

We took a good number of penalties- and while I've not gotten an answer the kind- most are tripping, and two interference. Which to me mean that they were a step behind where they should have been- either from being out of position or not moving their feet. That still needs worked on.

Can we make the steps to be competitive with BU? And who is going to start in the net???

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                              We took a good number of penalties- and while I've not gotten an answer the kind- most are tripping, and two interference. Which to me mean that they were a step behind where they should have been- either from being out of position or not moving their feet. That still needs worked on.
                              I was there. Game was very tightly called and both teams were recipients of things that normally would not be penalties.

Comment

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
                                This is what I told fans I met last weekend. Some of them knew about the CCM line, I mention they could all have been back this year. I also mention that we lost our top defensive pairing. Losing your starters, none of which were seniors takes a lot of talent off a team (and in Downing's case, probably removes a few stupid penalties as well).
                                I know we must accept that recruiting top talent often means they leave after 2 or 3 years; or in the case of Connor and Larkin, 1 year. I try not to reflect on the team we'd have if everyone stayed for 4 years, but it's such an appealing fantasy (Compher, Connor, Motte, Werenski, Larkin, Downing).

Looking to what we have this season to work with: After last weekend's hockey I'm in pessimist mode. If we lose to Arizona State, I'll go into full pessimist mode. I'm not there yet. I'm clinging to the hope that these young players figure out how to play like a team.

Maybe I should set small goals to hope for. Like, please don't get outshot eleventy billion to ten.
                                Every year it's the same, the Freshmen figure out this college hockey thing around the GLI. It just seems worse this year because we lost so much. It is true that this isa particularly bad year so far but give it a chance. There's no reason to cry over the "Michigan Hockey summer." We had one a few years ago where we didn't lose anyone, still didn't make the tournament I believe the following season.
                                Originally posted by alfablue
                                Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
                                Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
                                I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

Working...
                                X