Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BU offseason thread - this begs some questions!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: BU offseason thread - this begs some questions!

Ryan Whitney

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
      Drury?
      In hindsight, it's hard to believe, but wasn't Drury a 5th or 6th round choice?
      if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
        so ooc are

@ Mankato
        @ Mankato
        v. union/ylae in Ireland
        v. Dartmouth
        @ Harvard
        v. QU
        v. NU beanpot
        v. beanpot (3rd place game)
        v. ASU
        v. ASU
        Am I the only one who noticed this?

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
          Am I the only one who noticed this?
          Mookie sandbags by way of the School of Belichick: No Days off.
          Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
          The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

I thought Quinn was a #16 pick, but Rogie is right, 13th. But Whitney was #5, so there are actually 9.

Of what I consider to be the 3 best forwards to play at BU since I started watching them in 1986 (Amonte, Drury, Eichel), only one of them was actually a 1st round pick. Just shows that there can be "late" bloomers.
            BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

For whatever it's worth Ryan Cloonan is no longer on the roster listed on the website.

https://goterriers.com/roster.aspx?path=mhockey
              ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
                For whatever it's worth Ryan Cloonan is no longer on the roster listed on the website.

Coach indicated tonight that he could be added later
                Said he wants him to stay and graduate- not surprising

Comment

• Originally posted by defkit View Post
                  I thought Quinn was a #16 pick, but Rogie is right, 13th. But Whitney was #5, so there are actually 9.

Of what I consider to be the 3 best forwards to play at BU since I started watching them in 1986 (Amonte, Drury, Eichel), only one of them was actually a 1st round pick. Just shows that there can be "late" bloomers.
                  You could add McEachern to that list - he fits right in, IMO. And he was a 6th rounder.

Comment

Originally posted by defkit View Post

You're right, defkit. It's 9 counting Brady, #4 in last month's draft. The most recent BU Hockey Yearbook/Almanac lists eight previously taken prior to #14:
                    DiPietro #1
                    Eichel #2
                    Lachance #4
                    Whitney #5
                    Wilson #7
                    Keller #7
                    Young #11
                    Quinn #13
                    ---------
                    Rest of the first rounders (including this year's draft)
                    Shattenkirk #14
                    McAvoy #14
                    Farabee #14
                    Fabbro #17
                    Keith Tkachuk #19
                    Bellows #19
                    Kealty #22
                    Oettinger #26
                    Coyle #28
                    Bowers #28

Amonte was a fourth round pick by NYR in '88. Drury, a 3rd rounder by Quebec in '94, was the second Terrier taken by Quebec that year after Kealty (the new assistant GM in Nashville). One other BU pick in '94: Albie by the Islanders in the 5th.

Three Terriers were taken early in NHL supplemental drafts: John Cullen, #3 in '86 by Buffalo; Sniper Tomlinson #3 in '89 by Toronto; and Jacques Joubert, #9 in '93 by Dallas.

The first Terriers ever drafted: In 1970, Ric Jordan, Bobby Brown, Tim Regan and Bob Gryp. Grypper was the first to reach the NHL.
                    The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

Comment

Originally posted by srsterrier View Post
                      You could add McEachern to that list - he fits right in, IMO. And he was a 6th rounder.
                      Same with Colin Wilson, he was the best forward in the country during his sophomore year, when he was young enough that he could've been a freshman instead. But he was a 1st round pick.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogie21 View Post
                        You're right, defkit. It's 9 counting Brady, #4 in last month's draft. The most recent BU Hockey Yearbook/Almanac lists eight previously taken prior to #14:
                        DiPietro #1
                        Eichel #2
                        Lachance #4
                        Whitney #5
                        Wilson #7
                        Keller #7
                        Young #11
                        Quinn #13
                        ---------
                        Rest of the first rounders (including this year's draft)
                        Shattenkirk #14
                        McAvoy #14
                        Farabee #14
                        Fabbro #17
                        Keith Tkachuk #19
                        Bellows #19
                        Kealty #22
                        Oettinger #26
                        Coyle #28
                        Bowers #28

Amonte was a fourth round pick by NYR in '88. Drury, a 3rd rounder by Quebec in '94, was the second Terrier taken by Quebec that year after Kealty (the new assistant GM in Nashville). One other BU pick in '94: Albie by the Islanders in the 5th.

Three Terriers were taken early in NHL supplemental drafts: John Cullen, #3 in '86 by Buffalo; Sniper Tomlinson #3 in '89 by Toronto; and Jacques Joubert, #9 in '93 by Dallas.

The first Terriers ever drafted: In 1970, Ric Jordan, Bobby Brown, Tim Regan and Bob Gryp. Grypper was the first to reach the NHL.
                        2/3 of the 1st Round picks have been in the past 15 or so years. With better players having been picked in later rounds in the past (Amonte, Drury, McEachern, etc.) it seems like talent evaluation at the NHL level is improving.

Comment

Hmmmm. Only four players with a gpa over 3.0 last year? Is that a typical number?
                          Go BU!

Comment

Originally posted by srsterrier View Post
                            I was thinking as I typed those three that if I had four, he would be number 4. His straight ahead speed was just ridiculous. And he and Amonte together were a lethal combination.

Amonte and Eichel were the only two that came in as freshman and were clearly the best players on the team. Drury was different - solid freshman season, but just crushed it after that, going from 12 goals (mostly on the 4th line - boy how times have changed) to 36 the next year. And with him, his dogged determination to get the puck was part of what made him special.

Comment

• Originally posted by defkit View Post
                              I was thinking as I typed those three that if I had four, he would be number 4. His straight ahead speed was just ridiculous. And he and Amonte together were a lethal combination.

Amonte and Eichel were the only two that came in as freshman and were clearly the best players on the team. Drury was different - solid freshman season, but just crushed it after that, going from 12 goals (mostly on the 4th line - boy how times have changed) to 36 the next year. And with him, his dogged determination to get the puck was part of what made him special.
                              McEachern's OTGWG v Maine in the 1991 HEA finals is still one of my favorites.

What they did to us 3 weekends later was not nice.
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids
                              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post

0 goals in 49 games over the past 2 seasons - not a surprise. He doesn't bring the "other" aspects that you get with a guy like Curry, so if he ain't scoring, it's hard to justify playing him.

Comment

Working...
                                X