Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: University of Michigan, 2017-2018, a new era starts

Originally posted by Muskieman View Post
    No. The students are on a fall break that weekend. But normally a crew stays behind to do the games. I have to check.

SLU is charging?? What?!?![/QUOTE

I don't believe SLU is charging, unless one watches an archived video of a game. Please be aware, though, that SLU doesn't have video replay. There is no center ice scoreboard, as the roof at Appleton (a rink that was built in 1951, but is beautiful and with great sight lines) is too low.

UM and PSU fans heading to the NC: enjoy your trip. You will be surprised when you see the football field (not fields). SLU's seats 1,500-2,000 and CCT doesn't have football. SLU Football is at Union on Sat.

I really enjoyed my trip to PSU with five other SLU fans two seasons ago. Will go there again in a heartbeat.
    I remember what the football field looked like at Union when we visited a couple years ago. Sounds like SLU's might be bigger.

We're looking forward to the trip. We're driving through Canada and thinking of stopping at the Hockey Hall of Fame Friday morning before continuing on to NY. I can't wait for this trip and the start of college hockey season!
    Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
    wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
    7 B1G
    7 CCHA (all except St Thomas)
    6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
    5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
    5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
    2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
    2 Alaskan

Comment

Not sure where else to ask this, so I'll ask Wolverines thread. I've been trying to broaden my knowledge and don't understand something. In Minnesota, the state high-school hockey tourney is a huge deal, the Minnesota Wild's Xcel Center is completely sold out (for the big school double-A games anyhow) or close to it for all those games.

According to the MHSAA article on Wikipedia the state tournament is at USA hockey arena? Since Michigan is one of the big hockey states, like Minnesota and Mass, I would have expected it to be in Joe Louis (or the new arena, which until today I didn't realize there was a new one) or at least something much bigger, like Van Andel Arena. Which from what I can tell from Youtube highlights USA Hockey arena is pretty small, like what I would expect regular high-school hockey arena to be.

So is it a case of junior hockey, private schools, or something else being what's popular for the high-school age hockey?
      Dirty: Why {shouldn't Grand Valley State} not just go the Miami way to fund DI? Rob banks and sell drugs.
      bigmrg74: GVSU has some speed, but not that kind of speed.

Comment

Originally posted by USAFA Bulldog View Post
        Not sure where else to ask this, so I'll ask Wolverines thread. I've been trying to broaden my knowledge and don't understand something. In Minnesota, the state high-school hockey tourney is a huge deal, the Minnesota Wild's Xcel Center is completely sold out (for the big school double-A games anyhow) or close to it for all those games.

According to the MHSAA article on Wikipedia the state tournament is at USA hockey arena? Since Michigan is one of the big hockey states, like Minnesota and Mass, I would have expected it to be in Joe Louis (or the new arena, which until today I didn't realize there was a new one) or at least something much bigger, like Van Andel Arena. Which from what I can tell from Youtube highlights USA Hockey arena is pretty small, like what I would expect regular high-school hockey arena to be.

So is it a case of junior hockey, private schools, or something else being what's popular for the high-school age hockey?
        In Michigan, if you have any designs on playing NCAA-level or pro-hockey, you are in the travel system/juniors and not playing HS hockey. Those players whose final hockey stop is high school are the ones playing high school hockey. There will be a very occasional HS player who will walk on to a college, but that's about it.

Comment

Originally posted by mmb5 View Post
          In Michigan, if you have any designs on playing NCAA-level or pro-hockey, you are in the travel system/juniors and not playing HS hockey. Those players whose final hockey stop is high school are the ones playing high school hockey. There will be a very occasional HS player who will walk on to a college, but that's about it.

Thanks for the info. That's really a shame in my opinion. It would be great for Michigan to have a state tournament at a big venue. I'd imagine with it being the juniors way you get pretty small crowds.
          Dirty: Why {shouldn't Grand Valley State} not just go the Miami way to fund DI? Rob banks and sell drugs.
          bigmrg74: GVSU has some speed, but not that kind of speed.

Comment

SLU shouldn't be charging for the stream, atleast nothing has been announced to change that. You may have better luck going to the men's ice hockey page, schedule, and there should be a button for the video stream from there. The stream usually gets fired up about 15 minutes prior to game time.

It's a decent stream, though the production quality (no replay, typically don't "zoom" in on the action in the corners, etc) isn't near as nice as other programs. But it's free (I think what UMICH was seeing is still from the ECAC playoffs last year, where the ECAC mandated a pay to view service.)

Comment

Congrats on your dominant performance.

It should be an interesting race this year. The Gophers will also have a great team. Watch out for Casey Mittelstadt...he was easily our best player in his first exhibition and put in some moves that I haven't see a Gopher execute since Thomas Vanek.
              Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                Congrats on your dominant performance.

It should be an interesting race this year. The Gophers will also have a great team. Watch out for Casey Mittelstadt...he was easily our best player in his first exhibition and put in some moves that I haven't see a Gopher execute since Thomas Vanek.
                Thank you, but it was Western Ontario. I'm not puffing my chest out about it. Granted it was better than in recent years but we sucked in recent years. I just hope that this is the beginning of a new streak.
                Originally posted by alfablue
                Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
                Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
                I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

Originally posted by UMICH View Post
                  Thank you, but it was Western Ontario. I'm not puffing my chest out about it. Granted it was better than in recent years but we sucked in recent years. I just hope that this is the beginning of a new streak.
                  Good luck. I'd like to see you guys on top (or rather close to it).
                  Go Gophers!

Comment

GLI confirmed for January 1st & 2nd.

Michigan plays ND just 3 days later at Yost and then goes on the road on 1/7 at ND.

4 games in 7 days. Dumb.
                    ---
                    National Champions: 1948, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1955, 1956, 1964, 1996, 1998
                    Frozen Four: 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1962, 1964, 1977, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2011, 2018
                    19 Conference Championships
                    10 Conference Tournament Championships
                    2 Hobey Baker Winners

@UMichWD on Twitter

Comment

Wn 1 for Mel. Nice win for the team, I liked how it looked like they were flowing. Hard to really tell with the view we got, but it was fun to watch.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                        Wn 1 for Mel. Nice win for the team, I liked how it looked like they were flowing. Hard to really tell with the view we got, but it was fun to watch.
                        Good signs - Two Power Play goals. PK was perfect. Team D did not give up 40-50 shots like we saw so many times last year. LaFontaine made some key saves. Goals from newbies. We will learn a little more tonite as Clarkson knocked off PSU last night and would love a sweep of their B1G opponents.
                        The certainties of life...Death, Taxes and bad B1G Referees.

Comment

Originally posted by umichjim View Post
                          Good signs - Two Power Play goals. PK was perfect. Team D did not give up 40-50 shots like we saw so many times last year. LaFontaine made some key saves. Goals from newbies. We will learn a little more tonite as Clarkson knocked off PSU last night and would love a sweep of their B1G opponents.
                          Where are the 5-6 Incoming D recruits going to play next year with the existing D who will return?

Comment

St. Lawrence win was fun.
                            Clarkson was tough. Giving up those first two goals in the 1st was rough. The positive takeaway I have is we outplayed them the last two periods. Didn't get the back of the net, and struggled to settle a bouncy puck all night.

For those still wondering about Captain, still no letters on the jerseys, but Calderone was it.
                            Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
                            wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
                            7 B1G
                            7 CCHA (all except St Thomas)
                            6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
                            5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
                            5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
                            2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
                            2 Alaskan

Comment

I didn't notice Sam Piazza out there- was he playing? I somewhat expected him to be one of the captains.

On TV it looked as if the team was really deflated after that 3rd goal. Considering it was after a long time controlling the puck in Clarkson's zone, only for the puck to be blocked af every single turn, and THEN letting a goal up. Ouch.

Comment

I don't think you folks should be worried. The North Country is a brutal trip and few teams generally sweep there.

Comment

Working...
                                X