Best atmospheres in DIII hockey?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OZrebel View Post
    Still your really asking for it to be 1000, it's akin to the cooler at Hobart, just sad for a top tier team. Few years back we had the playoff game at Hobart, the number of fans that couldn't watch because it was held there vice our rink was ridiculous. You had to have the voucher to get in which was a joke.
    Atmosphere and the number of people in attendance are two different things.

Packed is packed.

I’m sorry you couldn’t get a ticket to the Oswego vs Hobart playoff game a couple seasons ago. Must have sold out. Probably was a great environment to watch a playoff game.

I imagine Hobart hosted that one because they had a better regular season than Oswego and earned the higher seed?

Comment

Originally posted by altazo View Post
      Atmosphere and the number of people in attendance are two different things.

Packed is packed.

I’m sorry you couldn’t get a ticket to the Oswego vs Hobart playoff game a couple seasons ago. Must have sold out. Probably was a great environment to watch a playoff game.

I imagine Hobart hosted that one because they had a better regular season than Oswego and earned the higher seed?
      I wasn’t at the game, but I would venture to guess you are correct on all accounts, good sir.
      Plattsburgh CARDINALS
      SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
      ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
      NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
      NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
      NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
      NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Comment

Re: Best atmospheres in DIII hockey?

Small and packed beats large and empty.

Watching the Primelink in beautiful but empty Kenyon Arena is sad.
        Norwich '13

2017-2018 Last Person Standing Champion

Comment

Originally posted by NU Pastime View Post

I thought the same thing as I watched last night. I remember the days getting a seat in that place was impossible.

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

Originally posted by altazo View Post

You would be correct. The whining that year was off the charts from "some" Laker fans. When it was spelled out "why" it was, it just caused more whining. I don't remember any Laker fan being turned away at the Cooler, or any fan for that matter. But then again, people were claiming the NCAA should be taking pictures of players "warming up outside"....on the busy dead end Exchange Street..... the horrors. Mind you there is a bank, a doctors office, and the Dep of Labor Office surrounding the rink...all of which are closed on Saturday nights....so the streets were just packed with traffic. Add in the fact that you can only fit around 30 cars in the immediate parking lot at the rink. But like was said then, when its warmer outside than inside, you warm up outside.

Having said that, yes...the Cooler is an embarrassment for a top tier DIII team, but the city is nothing but greedy and money hungry. The City of Geneva won't even let its local minor hockey players who live out of town pay "city resident" price for a public skating season pass. You're not allowed to take 30 minutes of their public skating time for a game when all 30 kids show up for public skating. And forget about turning on the "heaters" unless its under 20 degrees outside. We had to buy the expensive non-marking pucks (x4 times the cost of your average puck) so we didn't mark up the new boards...its a HOCKEY RINK!! Yet we won't worry about the leaking roof. Don't even get me started on the locker room sizes....

I think the thing that summed it up the best this year was when we were discussing our minor hockey leagues end of the year tournaments (JAMS). The question was raised if Geneva could host the JAM tournament this year. The parent was pretty much told no, because of our accommodations and size. Too many complaints the last time Geneva hosted a JAM tournament. Most tournament hosts accommodate 8 teams, but Geneva can only handle 4. This is a house league minor hockey league saying no....
            Remy Babineaux
            remyb616@gmail.com
            D3FHL Web Page

Comment

Originally posted by Birdwatcher View Post
              I thought the same thing as I watched last night. I remember the days getting a seat in that place was impossible.
              I actually showed my son the 2001 Championship highlight video as we were watching the game last night just to see if you could get an idea of how empty the rink is now compared to then. While there wasn't a "pan back" view in the video to get a real sense, you could still tell the rink is so much more empty now days. Sad....
              Remy Babineaux
              remyb616@gmail.com
              D3FHL Web Page

Comment

Norwich usually brings good crowds wherever they go in New England. I went to a game against the Cadets at UMass-Boston. Game was a complete sellout (they claimed there were exactly 1,000 people in attendance, likely because the fire code for the building won't let them have more, but they were definitely over capacity). There was a good student turnout which is rare for a school that doesn't have on-campus housing. I'd have to agree with the people who pointed out that size of the arena doesn't matter. Packed is packed.
                Frozen Four: 1998, 2018

NCAA Tournament: 1998, 1999, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2009, 2017, 2018, 2019

The Ohio State University '18
                University of Western Ontario '19

Comment

Originally posted by Buckeye22 View Post
                  Norwich usually brings good crowds wherever they go in New England. I went to a game against the Cadets at UMass-Boston. Game was a complete sellout (they claimed there were exactly 1,000 people in attendance, likely because the fire code for the building won't let them have more, but they were definitely over capacity). There was a good student turnout which is rare for a school that doesn't have on-campus housing. I'd have to agree with the people who pointed out that size of the arena doesn't matter. Packed is packed.
                  You'll just LOVE Lynch Arena in Pawtucket next year.
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids
                  5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                  1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                  - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckeye22 View Post
                    UMB opening 2 new dorms on campus next year. Maybe they’ll draw some more fans.

Comment

Originally posted by OZrebel View Post
                      Adrian.....come on man 500 people.....a shame if you ever want to go see your team play there, a great program with a shoebox for a rink.
                      The title of this thread is "Best atmospheres in DIII hockey", so the Arrington Ice Arena would qualify.

Comment

Originally posted by d3hockey57 View Post
                        The title of this thread is "Best atmospheres in DIII hockey", so the Arrington Ice Arena would qualify.
                        I concur

Comment

I had pretty much the same thought. We arrived just as the consolation game was ending. Most of the folks we saw leaving the rink appeared to be Wick fans. There were maybe 250 Card fans there for the championship game. Really a shame as it is not really a very long trip from Plattsburgh to Midd. Maybe 90 minutes each way. Primelimk does a huge amount of work ( and considerable expense to I'm sure) to pull off this event each year. One can only wonder how much longer they will continue to sponsor it if attendance doesn't improve.

Comment

Originally posted by wallhd View Post
                            I had pretty much the same thought. We arrived just as the consolation game was ending. Most of the folks we saw leaving the rink appeared to be Wick fans. There were maybe 250 Card fans there for the championship game. Really a shame as it is not really a very long trip from Plattsburgh to Midd. Maybe 90 minutes each way. Primelimk does a huge amount of work ( and considerable expense to I'm sure) to pull off this event each year. One can only wonder how much longer they will continue to sponsor it if attendance doesn't improve.
                            See, I view it as more of a Middlebury problem than a Primelink problem. It seems that when the tournament is hosted at Kreitzberg or Stafford that the attendance is considerably better.

I don't know if the attendance at Plattsburgh and Norwich matches the average attendance at those two arenas, but that's partially to be expected when the tournament is hosted over a holiday break.

On the other hand, from what I've seen it's the new norm for Kenyon to be empty. Even when they play Norwich in early February when class is in session.
                            Norwich '13

2017-2018 Last Person Standing Champion

Comment

I had pretty much the same thought. We arrived just as the consolation game was ending. Most of the folks we saw leaving the rink appeared to be Wick fans. There were maybe 250 Card fans there for the championship game. Really a shame as it is not really a very long trip from Plattsburgh to Midd. Maybe 90 minutes each way. Primelimk does a huge amount of work ( and considerable expense too I'm sure) to pull off this event each year. One can only wonder how much longer they will continue to sponsor it if attendance doesn't improve.
                              Last edited by wallhd; 11-29-2017, 11:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by wallhd View Post
                                ... One can only wonder how much longer they will continue to sponsor it if attendance doesn't improve.
                                Hockey attendance issues are not unique nor isloated to D3 ... D1 Thread

Comment

Working...
                                X