X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: USCHO Cooks: Maybe We Can Beat Bobby Flay

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    I'd use some of it to make what I call "Yankee dirty rice". Brown ~1 lb. meat, add chopped white onion/celery/bell pepper, saute until it starts sticking to the pan. Deglaze with chicken broth and scrape, add in a package of saffron yellow rice, along with some oregano, cayenne, and a bay leaf or two. Ensure the broth just covers everything, and return to a simmer with the lid on until the rice is done and the liquid is mostly absorbed (20-25 minutes, but keep an eye on it, because the rice will stick). Remove the bay leaves, stir it all up, and serve with hot sauce and freshly ground black pepper to taste.

The real thing would involve chicken livers, Andouille, and white rice. So this is my spin on it.

You could leave the sausages in the casing and chop them up, or you could cut through the casing and squeeze out the meat so it's like bulk sausage (which is what I buy when I make this).
    That sounds a lot like a paella.
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Originally posted by SanTropez
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Originally posted by Kepler
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Making my version of Tyler's Ultimate Sunday Gravy and my from-scratch Italian herb bread. My second or third time through it. It's so **** good and worth the all-afternoon cooking.

If I could find a way to make a candle that smelled like the house right now, I'd be a billionaire.
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
        I'd use some of it to make what I call "Yankee dirty rice". Brown ~1 lb. meat, add chopped white onion/celery/bell pepper, saute until it starts sticking to the pan. Deglaze with chicken broth and scrape, add in a package of saffron yellow rice, along with some oregano, cayenne, and a bay leaf or two. Ensure the broth just covers everything, and return to a simmer with the lid on until the rice is done and the liquid is mostly absorbed (20-25 minutes, but keep an eye on it, because the rice will stick). Remove the bay leaves, stir it all up, and serve with hot sauce and freshly ground black pepper to taste.

The real thing would involve chicken livers, Andouille, and white rice. So this is my spin on it.

You could leave the sausages in the casing and chop them up, or you could cut through the casing and squeeze out the meat so it's like bulk sausage (which is what I buy when I make this).
        I did something similar with Spanish rice- brown rice, onions, diced jalapeños, broth, tomato paste, some salt, pepper, cumin, pepper flakes. Turned out well and used as a base in my home made shredded chicken burrito bowls

Comment

Vinegar and mustard based BBQ sauces should be far more common. Target offers all of one option for the mustard styles, and one of the vinegar styles. Stopped in at Hy-vee, and it wasn't much better. Still, at least it's possible to find one option of each. This might be where the internet comes into play. Irritating.
          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

• Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
            Vinegar and mustard based BBQ sauces should be far more common. Target offers all of one option for the mustard styles, and one of the vinegar styles. Stopped in at Hy-vee, and it wasn't much better. Still, at least it's possible to find one option of each. This might be where the internet comes into play. Irritating.
            For me, it depends on the type of BBQ. Vinegar based is great on pulled pork, but it wouldn't be my cup of tea for say, ribs or brisket. But you are right, they don't get their share of the spotlight.

Comment

I never knew there was BBQ sauce from a bottle until I married mr les. We always made our own-sweet/vinegary.

I have no idea of the amounts but it has
              ketchup - maybe a cup?
              Italian dressing (or cider vinegar) enough to moderately thin the ketchup
              soy sauce- few shakes
              Worcestershire sauce-few shakes
              Lemon juice- tbsp ish
              mustard- about 2 Tbsp
              maple syrup- to taste- usually mix all the other things, add a good dollop, taste and add more as needed
              brown sugar (I stopped adding this)

Mr les adds Balsamic vinegar and leaves out mustard
              Last edited by leswp1; 05-28-2017, 01:52 PM.

Comment

Made muffins (Cranberry Pecan) using what I had. Didn't have any butter, so used canola oil, and didn't have any milk, so used plain whole milk Greek yogurt. These will either be really great or horrible.
                Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                Patreon for exclusive writing content
                Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
                  Made muffins (Cranberry Pecan) using what I had. Didn't have any butter, so used canola oil, and didn't have any milk, so used plain whole milk Greek yogurt. These will either be really great or horrible.
                  Tasty failures. Didn't look like a muffin. And the batter was hard to come together.
                  "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates

Comment

Homemade In-N-Out Double Doubles (Animal-style, of course). Totally done with being an anti-American cheese snob. It's the perfect burger cheese.

Time to let that cholesterol soak in.

Comment

I'm having the time of my life going through the Fannie Farmer and Joy of Cooking cookbooks. They're the classics. Honestly, they're all I need.

Tonight, I plan on making peanut butter muffins, as well as Alton Brown's peanut butter fudge.

Comment

Also, per Alton Brown's Facebook, Good Eats and Cutthroat Kitchen are now on Hulu.

Comment

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
                          I'm having the time of my life going through the Fannie Farmer and Joy of Cooking cookbooks. They're the classics. Honestly, they're all I need.
                          My mom had a Betty Crocker cookbook bought shortly after she married my father. The ingredient of the day was lard. Lots of lard. Every once in a while she'd make something from that cookbook when I was a kid in the 80s, and it was the purest instance I've had for Heaven on Earth.
                          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                            My mom had a Betty Crocker cookbook bought shortly after she married my father. The ingredient of the day was lard. Lots of lard. Every once in a while she'd make something from that cookbook when I was a kid in the 80s, and it was the purest instance I've had for Heaven on Earth.
                            The other thing is the original Betty Crocker book has recipes that can be followed and ingredients that can be obtained without living next to a f-cking Brooklyn Trader Joe's.

And as you point out, it has meals a human would enjoy consuming.

Only cookbook I've ever bought that was worth the money.
                            Cornell University
                            National Champion 1967, 1970
                            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Got mustard?

http://mustardmuseum.com/
                              A bad cause requires many words.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                                The other thing is the original Betty Crocker book has recipes that can be followed and ingredients that can be obtained without living next to a f-cking Brooklyn Trader Joe's.
                                I was thinking Whole Paycheck, but...

Comment

Working...
                                X